Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125957 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13290 on: July 11, 2011, 12:47:20 pm »

It'll stop any more coming onto the map.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13291 on: July 11, 2011, 01:30:14 pm »

Say I have two gear axles on two separate z-levels, they're connected as they have a channel between them.
Can I put a floor over the channel, and still have power flow? I'm guessing not, but it's always worth asking :P
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13292 on: July 11, 2011, 01:32:05 pm »

You can't put a building (such as a hatch) in the same tile already occupied by another building (such as an axle or gear).
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13293 on: July 11, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »

When it comes to armor, is gold, or zinc better? They both probably suck, but which sucks less?

Also, if I stash all my stuff (Bars of metal, armor, leather, other potentially valuable crafting things) in a lair that I murdered an innocent monster that didn't do anything to anyone to obtain found lying around, will anyone wander by and find free metal?
In adittion to these questions, is a gold longsword better then a copper shortsword? I made one to practice my weaponsmithing skill, and I wanted to know if it's *Resists pun* worth anything more then trade stuff.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13294 on: July 11, 2011, 01:46:52 pm »

Is there something that I could do to reduce this undwarvish compulsion to wash themselves?

Dwarf Washer:

Code: [Select]
########
++++++++
++++v+++    Step one: channel center tile of 3-wide hallway
++++++++    Designate as pond, fill to 6/7, and undesignate.
########

########
++++v+++    Step two: channel adjacent tiles
++++v+++    Each one is now filled to 2/7.
++++v+++    Dwarves walk through and get clean.
########
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13295 on: July 11, 2011, 02:06:11 pm »

My dwarves seem to be using lots of soap. Three dwarves are more or less constantly occupied with making ash, lye, and soap (population of 100). Fortunately, I'm producing enough tallow by butchering cute puppies and kittens useless canines and felines.
Is there something that I could do to reduce this undwarvish compulsion to wash themselves? They seem to be getting a happy thought from it every now and then ('nice soapy bath' or something), but I'm getting lots of unhappy thoughts if I have to cut down every tree on the map just to keep my soap production running. Not to mention that I used to think "Lye maker? Welcome to the military!" and now I actually need them little buggers.
Forbid the soap as it comes off the line or hits the stockpile. Otherwise, "LOAM ON MY TOES - CLEAN SELF" "GOBLIN BLOOD - CLEAN SELF" etc etc etc
But wouldn't I get spammed with CLEAN SELF as soon as I unforbid it?
It just occurred to me, I could increase the hospital soap stockpile. They wouldn't take soap out of the hospital supply, or would they?
You could buy loads of quarrybush seeds, mill,press, and use the oil to replace tallow. I am like you about a dwarf taking a bath, especially when they take a wonderful soapy bath. Whats next, bubble bath?*Shudders*
 Its bad enough they will run around nekky, imagine one taking a bath at your water source.
Must ... delete ... mental ... image...

Seriously, that they won't pick up new clothing (but claim it anyways) is a really annoying bug. If I find a dwarf shamelessly exposing him/herself I recruit him for my dress properly squad. To really shame them I make the men wear leather dresses and high boots. Added benefit: their feet won't fall off after stepping in FB goo.
Dwarf Washer:
I'm in the process of building one, but for some reason it takes ages to fill (I'm still at 1/7 after at least 3 seasons if not longer). I did channel out three tiles at once, does that mean it won't work or will it just take a decade to fill?
Well, I guess I'll just floor it over and try your set up.

Thank you all for your answers and unwanted mental images!

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13296 on: July 11, 2011, 02:20:56 pm »

So I heard that if you can manage to split up a stack of bolts, every bolt can be melted down into a separate bar. Two questions:

1. Does this work for every metal you can make bolts out of?
2. How would I go about setting up a farm for this?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13297 on: July 11, 2011, 02:36:30 pm »

Any metal bolt should be meltable. There was an entire thread about farming them (Adamantine Bolts specifically).

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62681

There's some detail here, but not the full thread I was looking for.

Basically it involved a shooting range with goblins behind doors, and opening / closing the doors real fast so that bolts would fire but not hit the goblin. You needed to replace the goblin at intervals.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:43:21 pm by Reelyanoob »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13298 on: July 11, 2011, 02:41:52 pm »

My dwarves seem to be using lots of soap. Three dwarves are more or less constantly occupied with making ash, lye, and soap (population of 100). Fortunately, I'm producing enough tallow by butchering cute puppies and kittens useless canines and felines.
Is there something that I could do to reduce this undwarvish compulsion to wash themselves? They seem to be getting a happy thought from it every now and then ('nice soapy bath' or something), but I'm getting lots of unhappy thoughts if I have to cut down every tree on the map just to keep my soap production running. Not to mention that I used to think "Lye maker? Welcome to the military!" and now I actually need them little buggers.
Forbid the soap as it comes off the line or hits the stockpile. Otherwise, "LOAM ON MY TOES - CLEAN SELF" "GOBLIN BLOOD - CLEAN SELF" etc etc etc
It just occurred to me, I could increase the hospital soap stockpile. They wouldn't take soap out of the hospital supply, or would they?
You could buy loads of quarrybush seeds, mill,press, and use the oil to replace tallow. I am like you about a dwarf taking a bath, especially when they take a wonderful soapy bath. Whats next, bubble bath?*Shudders*
 Its bad enough they will run around nekky, imagine one taking a bath at your water source.
Must ... delete ... mental ... image...

Seriously, that they won't pick up new clothing (but claim it anyways) is a really annoying bug. If I find a dwarf shamelessly exposing him/herself I recruit him for my dress properly squad. To really shame them I make the men wear leather dresses and high boots. Added benefit: their feet won't fall off after stepping in FB goo.
Dwarf Washer:
I'm in the process of building one, but for some reason it takes ages to fill (I'm still at 1/7 after at least 3 seasons if not longer). I did channel out three tiles at once, does that mean it won't work or will it just take a decade to fill?

It takes ages to fill because they pull a bucket of water out the pit/pond, then dump it back into the pit/pond they're filling. The same pit/pond.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13299 on: July 11, 2011, 03:45:19 pm »

It takes ages to fill because they pull a bucket of water out the pit/pond, then dump it back into the pit/pond they're filling. The same pit/pond.
Ouch. Really? I could've sworn I saw a dwarf going from my well to the pond, carrying a bucket. Never looked again, tho.
Thanks for the info, no wonder it's taking so long...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13300 on: July 11, 2011, 04:36:20 pm »

When it comes to armor, is gold, or zinc better? They both probably suck, but which sucks less?

Also, if I stash all my stuff (Bars of metal, armor, leather, other potentially valuable crafting things) in a lair that I murdered an innocent monster that didn't do anything to anyone to obtain found lying around, will anyone wander by and find free metal?
In adittion to these questions, is a gold longsword better then a copper shortsword? I made one to practice my weaponsmithing skill, and I wanted to know if it's *Resists pun* worth anything more then trade stuff.

Armorwise I don't know,  they would probably be roughly equivalent with no appreciable difference when it comes to fighting actual combat materiel.  Zinc has a better tensile yield while being equivalent just about everyplace else so I would have to go with zinc.

As for a shortsword, copper is most likely best.  But it depends on what you are fighting.  A gold shortsword would probably make a bad actual cutting weapon, gold is a good heavy metal and could behave much like a good mace or hammer though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:38:08 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13301 on: July 11, 2011, 07:00:13 pm »

That should only be happening if he has, for some reason, designated the pond as a water source.  I've filled pond zones from a well without any issues, many times.

A gold shortsword would probably make a bad actual cutting weapon, gold is a good heavy metal and could behave much like a good mace or hammer though.

A gold war hammer should be exceptionally good, if you manage to get one.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13302 on: July 11, 2011, 07:15:18 pm »

I could be wrong (often, that's the case), but I swear I still have dwarves knocking off to take a bath even without soap. The stuff just seems to make bathing more compelling (at least, the soap sure goes fast).

As for increasing the storage allotment for the hospital .... good luck. Forbid all your cloth and thread before you add more coffers to the zone. Soap in the hospital stocks doesn't get used for random baths — or I never see it happen. Given the rate non-medical soap goes, I think anything attached to the hospital should be safe.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #13303 on: July 11, 2011, 07:31:24 pm »

Dwarfs most definitely clean self without soap. The marksdwarves that beat the last elven caravan to death with their crossbows (No, I don't know why they didn't just shoot them. If I had wanted someone to bludgeon them, I'd have gotten the guy with the artifact hammer :|) are spamming me with "Urist McDoesn'tKnowWhatACrossbowIsFor, Off-Duty Markdswarf cancels Clean Self: Well dry." and I have never had soap in this fort. Ever.

Technically speaking, it's not dry. It's just at 2/7 depth. So, dry enough that it's useless.

Hot areas are annoying. Especially hot areas that refuse to have large quantities of water in their caverns.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13304 on: July 11, 2011, 08:01:41 pm »

EDIT: Whoops, I accidentally answered a question from two pages back.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:04:34 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 885 886 [887] 888 889 ... 1178