Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125969 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13275 on: July 11, 2011, 10:37:32 am »

I'm being spammed with Dwarf Cancels Task: Could Not Find Path.

I haven't obstructed cavern or surface access in any way. It was fine yesterday.

?????

edit: And it's not happening anymore for some reason. ??????????????
I got that a few times, mine was caused by mass building of things in tight spaces, they can be reached but until the objects "blocking" are finished it will be regarded as impossible to get to.
I'm already aware of that with building, but the tasks being cancelled this time were Collect Webs and Hunt.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13276 on: July 11, 2011, 10:38:19 am »

Make sure once sealed, no one can enter. Then assign a woodcutter or herbalist to cut wood/gather plants in the area where you think they cannot possibly go to. If they go there, you have a leak in your defenses. In version .25 cage traps still work on thieves and snatchers also. Depending on the entrance, chain up another war animal.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13277 on: July 11, 2011, 10:38:37 am »

Right now I have a single dog standing at the front gate holding watch to stop any sneaky thieves, but he is proving to be pretty inadequate in his job.
Thieves are managing to get inside my fortress and kidnap children without being detected at all,

Could they be using an alternate entrance?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13278 on: July 11, 2011, 11:03:53 am »

Ok, more questions about playing with a frozen river. I've got the river mostly un-melted, including the inflow tiles (by carving fortifications beneath them and running magma) but the outflow end is blocked by ice that I can't reasonably melt. I'm planning on diverting the flow of the river to run beneath my fortress and provide my water source, power water wheels, etc. What I'm concerned about is outflow -- since the end of the river's blocked, will that eventually mean that the water will "back up" and stop flowing, once my underground waterways are all filled up?
Similarly, if I draw water up a few levels with a pump then splash it back down (through and underground waterfall so it doesn't freeze) and reconnect it to the brook, will that "pressurize" the brook and create problems?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13279 on: July 11, 2011, 11:07:25 am »

Ah I suppose I didn't check every corner thoroughly, my pasture was not sealed off propperly.
I found out when the caravan came and took the backdoor entrance. And then proceeded to path to my depot through 7/7 water. That was bizare.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13280 on: July 11, 2011, 11:08:58 am »

Ok, more questions about playing with a frozen river. I've got the river mostly un-melted, including the inflow tiles (by carving fortifications beneath them and running magma) but the outflow end is blocked by ice that I can't reasonably melt. I'm planning on diverting the flow of the river to run beneath my fortress and provide my water source, power water wheels, etc. What I'm concerned about is outflow -- since the end of the river's blocked, will that eventually mean that the water will "back up" and stop flowing, once my underground waterways are all filled up?
Similarly, if I draw water up a few levels with a pump then splash it back down (through and underground waterfall so it doesn't freeze) and reconnect it to the brook, will that "pressurize" the brook and create problems?

Why not just run the water out through underground fortifications in the map edge, or dump it into the cavern lake?  Off-map drains can absorb infinite amounts of water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13281 on: July 11, 2011, 11:12:41 am »

Sphalerite beat me to it.  :-X

I suppose you could also pump the water into an aquifier if you have one handy, but that'd waste some of the power you're generating in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:14:37 am by Jelle »

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13282 on: July 11, 2011, 11:13:39 am »

Why not just run the water out through underground fortifications in the map edge, or dump it into the cavern lake?  Off-map drains can absorb infinite amounts of water.

Those are my back-up plans, but I'd like to redirect into the river itself if possible, if for no other reason than "realism." Plus, I haven't opened up the caverns yet and I'd prefer to wait to do so.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13283 on: July 11, 2011, 11:37:20 am »

My dwarves seem to be using lots of soap. Three dwarves are more or less constantly occupied with making ash, lye, and soap (population of 100). Fortunately, I'm producing enough tallow by butchering cute puppies and kittens useless canines and felines.
Is there something that I could do to reduce this undwarvish compulsion to wash themselves? They seem to be getting a happy thought from it every now and then ('nice soapy bath' or something), but I'm getting lots of unhappy thoughts if I have to cut down every tree on the map just to keep my soap production running. Not to mention that I used to think "Lye maker? Welcome to the military!" and now I actually need them little buggers.

Arek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13284 on: July 11, 2011, 11:48:54 am »

I've fought with ant-men in caverns few days ago. My dwarves were average fighters at best, but they still made short work of them, thanks to far superior equipment.
Though there was one things that got my interest. Ant-mens got 4 arms, and on death they drop 3 shields and one spear. My question is: does having multiple shields in any way affect chance to block, or there are no differences between having one or three shields?

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13285 on: July 11, 2011, 11:56:41 am »

My dwarves seem to be using lots of soap. Three dwarves are more or less constantly occupied with making ash, lye, and soap (population of 100). Fortunately, I'm producing enough tallow by butchering cute puppies and kittens useless canines and felines.
Is there something that I could do to reduce this undwarvish compulsion to wash themselves? They seem to be getting a happy thought from it every now and then ('nice soapy bath' or something), but I'm getting lots of unhappy thoughts if I have to cut down every tree on the map just to keep my soap production running. Not to mention that I used to think "Lye maker? Welcome to the military!" and now I actually need them little buggers.

Forbid the soap as it comes off the line or hits the stockpile. Otherwise, "LOAM ON MY TOES - CLEAN SELF" "GOBLIN BLOOD - CLEAN SELF" etc etc etc
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13286 on: July 11, 2011, 12:01:29 pm »

I've fought with ant-men in caverns few days ago. My dwarves were average fighters at best, but they still made short work of them, thanks to far superior equipment.
Though there was one things that got my interest. Ant-mens got 4 arms, and on death they drop 3 shields and one spear. My question is: does having multiple shields in any way affect chance to block, or there are no differences between having one or three shields?
Last I checked, yes, as you get one chance to block for each shield. I believe this is even true if you hold several shields in the same hand. So the chance to block isn't increased directly, you just get more chances to do it.

This is a common way to train the blocking skill fast, I believe.
Love, scriver~

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13287 on: July 11, 2011, 12:06:10 pm »

You could buy loads of quarrybush seeds, mill,press, and use the oil to replace tallow. I am like you about a dwarf taking a bath, especially when they take a wonderful soapy bath. Whats next, bubble bath?*Shudders*
 Its bad enough they will run around nekky, imagine one taking a bath at your water source.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13288 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:41 pm »

When it comes to armor, is gold, or zinc better? They both probably suck, but which sucks less?

Also, if I stash all my stuff (Bars of metal, armor, leather, other potentially valuable crafting things) in a lair that I murdered an innocent monster that didn't do anything to anyone to obtain found lying around, will anyone wander by and find free metal?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13289 on: July 11, 2011, 12:43:28 pm »

Will turning off invasions stop any further goblin ambushes, sieges, thieves, and megabeastie attacks?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1178