Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125908 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13245 on: July 10, 2011, 05:55:39 pm »

I'm sad bro
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13246 on: July 10, 2011, 06:04:20 pm »

Does a cast obsidian roof count as a "natural ceiling' such that water will stay liquid beneath it in a frozen environment?
nope. once a tile is outside it stays outside. no matter what you do to it. no matter where, when or why.
it's forever.

.. Close, but no cookie.

Once a tile is light, it will stay light. No matter what you do to it. No matter where, when or why.

Curse the infernal light.

If it was permanently outside, I wouldn't be able to make apartments above ground .. Beds, thrones (and tables?) require Inside, and you can make a tile inside by constructing something over it.

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13247 on: July 10, 2011, 06:26:15 pm »

I've read in the wiki that Undeads and Skeletons are supposed to be extremely difficult to kill. After embarking on a terrifying biome, I've noticed that the scariest thing about undead is the unhappy thoughts they give dwarves. I'm fairly certain a completely naked and untrained dwarf is more than a match for a normal sized undead.

So is the wiki information about undead oudated? If it is, what happened to make undeads less threatening than steam titan emitting waves of love and friendship?

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13248 on: July 10, 2011, 07:09:04 pm »

The problem that makes them hard to kill is that they don't have any organs or soft tissue. You can't exactly stab one in the heart. They essentially have to be broken apart. Hammers and maces are the most effective against them.

I don't think they were changed at all.

Ive read about those weird titans emmiting things like kindness, love, ect. Do they still attack when those kind show up? Or are they good?
If I captured a steam titan made of love, i'd be set for life.
I only play legends mode

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13249 on: July 10, 2011, 08:25:00 pm »

But they won't put him in the traction bench. He just just sleeps all day. Will they only put him in traction if casts are available?

The two are not related.  If the Treatment screen says "Needs traction" then they'll put him in traction.  If it says "Needs setting" for one or more bones, then they'll apply a cast or a splint.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13250 on: July 10, 2011, 09:07:48 pm »

I've read in the wiki that Undeads and Skeletons are supposed to be extremely difficult to kill. After embarking on a terrifying biome, I've noticed that the scariest thing about undead is the unhappy thoughts they give dwarves. I'm fairly certain a completely naked and untrained dwarf is more than a match for a normal sized undead.

So is the wiki information about undead oudated? If it is, what happened to make undeads less threatening than steam titan emitting waves of love and friendship?

They were significantly harder in the past in the early days of DF2010 back before Toady gave them a HP like system based on applied force.  You basically had to get a lucky decapitation to kill one.  Nothing else would do it.  Now there's a sorta hp system in place for them that according to a DF talk is dependent on total applied force shaking off the magic animating them.  And since some weapons don't apply much force overall the wrong weapon choice can probably make them much harder, and the right weapons make them much easier.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13251 on: July 10, 2011, 09:36:20 pm »

When does a dwarf decide exactly what artifact he's going to make? For example, if I restart the game after he goes strange mood and before he claims a workshop, will he make an entirely different artifact?

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13252 on: July 10, 2011, 11:26:06 pm »

yes
I only play legends mode

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13253 on: July 10, 2011, 11:33:32 pm »

I completely forget how to do this. After I strip prisoners of their delicious goblonite. How do I re designate it to throw them (driections for with and with out the cage wold be nice) into the river (my garbage dump). The water level is like 4 levels down so they should drown from the stun of being dropped.

I dont trust my self enough to use them for sparing. Lest fun occurs. But what would be the next easy way to get rid of them? Also I don't have lava yet so I cant do that.

never mind I devided to construct a drowning pit. Thanks tho!

if stripped of weapons, and released one at a time, even unskilled dwarves with wooden weapons will kill the goblin with no appreciable losses or wounds.  as an added bonus, once your soldiers skill up a bit, they get a happy thought from slaughter.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13254 on: July 11, 2011, 12:11:28 am »

What skill do pickaxes (As weapons) use? I've seen them kill all sorts of nigh-indestructable beasties in one shot and I want to know.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13255 on: July 11, 2011, 12:33:54 am »

What skill do pickaxes (As weapons) use? I've seen them kill all sorts of nigh-indestructable beasties in one shot and I want to know.

AFAIK picks use mining skill both for combat and mining.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13256 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:32 am »

THATS HOW YOU MINE FOR GOBLONITE!
I only play legends mode

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13257 on: July 11, 2011, 12:38:32 am »

THATS HOW YOU MINE FOR GOBLONITE!

Indeed.

"Think of it as mining a tunnel of blood and flesh."

How good weapons picks are for combat, by the way? My last army of swordsmen had FUN with goblins, but I think swords aren't just very dwarfy...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13258 on: July 11, 2011, 12:48:37 am »

Picks are OK, and using mining skill. They should really only be used in emergencies, have an emergency miners squad.

Go for hammers though, or Axes. Hammers don't cut as many bits off as axes, so they result in less hauling labors to clean up the mess.

Make hammers out of heavy material. Not clownite, it's too light to do much damage at all, but makes great training hammers.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13259 on: July 11, 2011, 01:06:21 am »

I'm aware of the weight having an impact (pardon the multipun) on blunt weapons. I've got no problem with hauling though - I have enough idlers to collect stuff anyway.

I guess I'll make my first squad of hammerers, to get rid of anyone who gets through the spike traps.

EDIT: Is buying/claiming whips and training lasherdwarves worth it? Whips really make a killing (heh) at least in Adventure mode.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:21:07 am by Kay12 »
Pages: 1 ... 882 883 [884] 885 886 ... 1178