Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125870 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13215 on: July 09, 2011, 06:34:02 pm »

i'm getting spammed out with "cancels store item in tomb: item inaccessible".   i see no unburied corpses in my stocks menu.  no body of water has a dwarf body part or corpse.  no dwarf is restricted to any burrow.  the job from the manager screen will zoom me to the cancelling dwarf, or the tomb.  i'd like to find out where this inaccessible corpse or body part is, so that i can make it accessible and get rid of the message spam.   how do i do this?

Items are also stored in tombs sometimes - check for items owned by Urist McDeadDwarf if you know where he died.

Also, if it's a succession game, do d->b->H to unhide everything and see if someone before you might have hidden a bunch of stuff.  It's also possible to accidentally hide things if you use the d-b-? menu a lot like I tend to.

painfully going over  300 corpses and 500 assorted bady parts, i think i may have found at least one of the culprits.  there seems to be a corpse in my moat under 4/7 water.  there is a path to the corpse in water that usually gets no deeper than 3/7, though spots flash 4/7.  the corpse seems invisible.  i have not tried d->b->H, but as i have never used hide, and this is my own fort, i hadent thought to.  might have done it accidentally.  i'll check next time i play.

i have no designated tombs other than one for the duchess and one for the king.  i was aware owned items get stored in tombs, this counts for "general burial" coffins?  as this was a military dwarf, is it possible he claimed some of his equipment, and now that some new grunt is wearing that piece or two he claimed, i am getting spammed?  i ask because i've found forbidden addy weapons on my battlefields (usually annoyingly disguised by blood or a large pile of other forbidden objects).  as i do not often designate "forbid" and my standing orders are the default "collect dead dwarves and their gear, dump enemy corpses and forbid their gear", i had thought perhaps the goblins were picking up dropped weapons and getting killed.  was it instead the dwarf claiming ownership, and the item listed as "forbidden pending storage in tomb"?

i ask as i distinctly remember addy breastplates having the dimmed "F" on the stocks menu, indicating (i think) that one, but not all of the items in the category are forbidden.  when i switched to "item view" i saw that none of the breastplates were actually forbidden. 

these deaths took place during a siege that forced me to "consolidate" my military.  i went from 5-6 depleted squads to three.  i emptied all squads and built them all from scratch.  perhaps one of my haulers was on his way to store one of those gear items in the tomb when he realised "i'm in the military now and i have to get in uniform.  i am hauling a peice of that uniform, better put it on"  and now i'm getting spam because no one cares to try to take "his clothes"?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

redmenace.uk

• Bay Watcher
  • "Brew cornish rattler"...... "A party has begun"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13216 on: July 09, 2011, 06:36:38 pm »

hi all....just a quick question i am in the middle of a very important battle between my best warrior and a raiding party is there any way to view the combat report as a rolling report.... i.e   pressing a button to see the next blow being landed etc, instead of a stop start operation,...i feel it takes the sense of urgency away from battles....many thanks....RED
The only thing remotely like that would be that, when the game is paused, you can press [.] to further time just a single step instead of going real time. It will be really slow and you'll have to press it a lot, but by doing this you can catch and view all new actions/reports as they happen.

I do this whenever there's an important or interesting fight going on. Duels are a lot cooler when you can read what happens when the fight is still going on.
thanks alot will give it a go :]
The Minotaur hacks Redmenace in the head with his copper battle axe, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
Redmenace walks it off!...............;]

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13217 on: July 09, 2011, 06:47:40 pm »

How do I turn off invasions in df2010? I can't find the option in the init files anywhere, and I don't understand the military system well enough to get the bearded little fuckers to train properly.
I just want to sandbox around without the threat of goblins attacking with their weapons and their bows and massacring my poor trainees before they can even skill up, and causing tantrum spirals.
In addition to what Sphalerite said, the init file folder (named "init", simply enough) can be found in the "data" folder.
Love, scriver~

Fischer541

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13218 on: July 10, 2011, 12:08:36 am »

Kinda irritated, my dwarves are using my <FORBIDDEN> Marble to create useless shit. Is there anyway I can make sure their asses don't use it to make something?

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13219 on: July 10, 2011, 02:52:13 am »

Kinda irritated, my dwarves are using my <FORBIDDEN> Marble to create useless shit. Is there anyway I can make sure their asses don't use it to make something?
{z} -> Stone menu. Set Marble as economic stone so it is only used as flux.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13220 on: July 10, 2011, 07:30:36 am »

Hello everyone,

I've got a small question here, are swords better than axes in killing organic beings? And since I now know of what lies far beneath, which is better in lopping off clown limbs to kill them?

On that note, are hammers as good as what I read in the history of Dwarves (like when they hit a creature it flies about one or so screens off?) and are they good at all vs undead/clowns/flying creatures?

Thanks!!

qgloafhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13221 on: July 10, 2011, 07:34:46 am »

Hi all!
Noob question incoming: How can I build towers? I place the base walls but then I can't figure out how to get my dwarves to build the second floor. Should I put a staircase somewhere inside or on a wall? Also, am I supposed to put floor tiles on the ground?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13222 on: July 10, 2011, 08:33:00 am »

I've got a small question here, are swords better than axes in killing organic beings? And since I now know of what lies far beneath, which is better in lopping off clown limbs to kill them?

On that note, are hammers as good as what I read in the history of Dwarves (like when they hit a creature it flies about one or so screens off?) and are they good at all vs undead/clowns/flying creatures?

Hammers no longer make enemies fly across the battlefield.  That was dropped in DF2010.  However, hammers are still one of the better weapons against heavily armored foes, since the impact is still mostly transmitted through the armor.

Axes are probably the best bet for chopping off limbs; I always prefer them over swords, personally.  If  I wanted to pierce organs, I'd go with spears instead of swords.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13223 on: July 10, 2011, 09:03:42 am »

Hi all!
Noob question incoming: How can I build towers? I place the base walls but then I can't figure out how to get my dwarves to build the second floor. Should I put a staircase somewhere inside or on a wall? Also, am I supposed to put floor tiles on the ground?

Yeah, building a stairway or a ramp should do the trick. On the next floor, build a floor over the empty tiles and walls above the last level's walls. Rinse and repeat.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13224 on: July 10, 2011, 09:15:57 am »

In my experience, hammers and maces have been relatively useless, if only because I've seen my hammerdwarves knock a foe out and then repeatedly bash them, causing bruises and breaks and splinters and pain for probably 10 minutes before finally - finally - getting that one blow to the head that shatters the skull and destroys the brain.  Edged weapons, with their puncture wounds and lopped-off limbs, make enemies bleed out, which is much faster.  There have been times I've sent a squad of hammerdwarves out to kill something, and they bash on it forever.  Then a sword- or axedwarf showed up and ended the fight in a stroke or two.  As for swords v axes, I seem to recall something about swords having more attack types than axes, but I wasn't entirely sure of what that meant.

That said, the last time I decided to attend the circus, it was my hammerdwarf that held off the onslaught even after all the other soldiers were dead.  Y'know, before her hand was shattered by a kick, she dropped her mace and her shield, and was promptly and literally ripped to pieces as the fortress flooded with magma.  That iron mace, Nilesmaid, still rests deep within the cursed, magma-filled halls of Crystalgates.

So there might be something to blunt weapons.  I haven't done quite enough SCIENCE! to be certain.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13225 on: July 10, 2011, 09:21:28 am »

it's all a skill thing.
them ore a hammerdwarf is skilled the faster the Blunt thing aims for lethal shot.
it's like having a big cannon or a lot of small gunfire.
if you miss with the cannon it takes time to reload it, but if it hits, it's a surekill.
small gunfire punctures everywhere, but it takes time to have enough blood out to kill.
then it depends on the material used.
i have a couple of trained hammerdwarfs who entered the fray of battle just to finish off the battle, it's all a "urist hits the goblin in the head fracturing the head bruising the brain smashing it open like a canned foot under a car"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13226 on: July 10, 2011, 10:20:02 am »

How far can an unarmored dwarf fall without dying?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13227 on: July 10, 2011, 10:24:18 am »

How far can an unarmored dwarf fall without dying?

AFAIK a single Z-level will never cause any harm (unless spikes or magma or whatever dangerous at the bottom), two is rarely too damaging and after that, it starts to get a matter of luck.

Then there are various tricks to reduce damage. I think one abuse hole (although hard to use) involves dropping creatures on each other - stunning both but never permanently damaging either!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13228 on: July 10, 2011, 10:45:49 am »

Thanks for all who replied to mine :D

And now for my last question before I submit my ticket to the circus, I've once seen something like tamed vermin (not even sure on how I got it but I had no animal traps in) in the Units screen but I can't seem to locate it or view it at all.

And thanks again for answering the question.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13229 on: July 10, 2011, 11:20:06 am »

I just accidentally my old fortress, and decided to create a new world for my new fortress. As usual, I play a few games of adventure mode to get in touch with the new world...

Wait a minute... I have several human civs, several elf civs, but no dwarven option at startup?

Does this mean that any fortress I start in this world gets no dwarven caravans?
Pages: 1 ... 880 881 [882] 883 884 ... 1178