Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 879 880 [881] 882 883 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125856 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13200 on: July 09, 2011, 10:09:47 am »

Steel is the best non-candy metal for spears and other pointies, yes?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13201 on: July 09, 2011, 10:13:27 am »

For spears and stabbing weapons, yes. If you're making a warhammer or other blunt weapon, silver is generally better because of its density. However, silver warhammers will be ineffective against bronze colossi and titans made of metal, because it's considered an "inferior" weapon material.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13202 on: July 09, 2011, 10:50:46 am »

Anything that has a edged, stab or pierce attack steel is best, next to candy
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13203 on: July 09, 2011, 11:45:56 am »

... stairs work better in all ways...

Not entirely true.  Last I read, ramps are better for movement because taking the stairs counts as a step, while taking a ramp does not.

Stairs:
Urist McStairclimber steps onto the stairs in one z-level.
Urist McStairclimber takes the stairs.
Urist McStairclimber steps onto tile in the next z-level.

Ramps:
Urist McRampwalker steps onto the ramp in one z-level.
Urist McRampwalker steps onto the tile in the next z-level.

Assuming the two Dwarves had equal speeds, McRampwalker would arrive on the next z-level one step before McStairclimber.  So with proper construction, goods hauled over lengthy vertical distances may be better served by ramps than stairs.

However, I agree that the use and design of stairs is much simpler than attempting to build proper and working ramps, and that stairs should probably be used in most cases.  Unless you really love ramps.  Or have learned their infernal intricacies.  I must also note that the last time I did any research on the subject was back in the early days of 40d.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13204 on: July 09, 2011, 11:48:06 am »

Does a cast obsidian roof count as a "natural ceiling' such that water will stay liquid beneath it in a frozen environment?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13205 on: July 09, 2011, 11:51:42 am »

Might be worth science for confirmation, but my money is on the water still freezing. 

Last I checked once a tile becomes "aboveground" nothing can make it subterranean again short of editing utilities like For Each Tile in Tweak.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13206 on: July 09, 2011, 11:52:04 am »

Does a cast obsidian roof count as a "natural ceiling' such that water will stay liquid beneath it in a frozen environment?
nope. once a tile is outside it stays outside. no matter what you do to it. no matter where, when or why.
it's forever.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
M*A*S*H?
« Reply #13207 on: July 09, 2011, 12:58:51 pm »

I've just had a goblin siege. One of my archers had been injured right at the start. When a dwarf wanted to pick him up, he got scared by the goblins, ran away, and dropped my poor archer again, only a few tiles from the fortifications. I thought my archer would be picked up again, but instead my chief medial dwarf came along and started treating him (diagnosis and sutures) in the middle of the siege.
I've never seen that before, is that normal or a bug?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13208 on: July 09, 2011, 01:06:22 pm »

I dug out a channel connected to a river. I expected that dwarves can walk through water if it is only a one-wide channel but apparently I was wrong...

Now I'd like to close the connection to the river. Is there a way to do that?

Dwarves will willingly walk through 3 deep water and not care much.  4 deep or deeper and they will only do it if they are dropped into it, or trapped somehow, I don't think they will drown in 4 deep, I think they will start to drown in 5 deep if they don't have swim skill.  Uncertain.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13209 on: July 09, 2011, 01:46:52 pm »

Drowning doesn't start until the depth hits 7.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13210 on: July 09, 2011, 01:47:18 pm »

I dug out a channel connected to a river. I expected that dwarves can walk through water if it is only a one-wide channel but apparently I was wrong...

Now I'd like to close the connection to the river. Is there a way to do that?

Dwarves will willingly walk through 3 deep water and not care much.  4 deep or deeper and they will only do it if they are dropped into it, or trapped somehow, I don't think they will drown in 4 deep, I think they will start to drown in 5 deep if they don't have swim skill.  Uncertain.
The wiki says* that they won't drown in 4-6/7 deep and actually gain swimming skills.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

* I like that the page about swimming starts with "Drowning". :D

ETA: *shakes fist in nil's general direction*
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:48:52 pm by JLT »

redmenace.uk

• Bay Watcher
  • "Brew cornish rattler"...... "A party has begun"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13211 on: July 09, 2011, 03:51:42 pm »

hi all....just a quick question i am in the middle of a very important battle between my best warrior and a raiding party is there any way to view the combat report as a rolling report.... i.e   pressing a button to see the next blow being landed etc, instead of a stop start operation,...i feel it takes the sense of urgency away from battles....many thanks....RED
The Minotaur hacks Redmenace in the head with his copper battle axe, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
Redmenace walks it off!...............;]

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13212 on: July 09, 2011, 05:49:03 pm »

hi all....just a quick question i am in the middle of a very important battle between my best warrior and a raiding party is there any way to view the combat report as a rolling report.... i.e   pressing a button to see the next blow being landed etc, instead of a stop start operation,...i feel it takes the sense of urgency away from battles....many thanks....RED
The only thing remotely like that would be that, when the game is paused, you can press [.] to further time just a single step instead of going real time. It will be really slow and you'll have to press it a lot, but by doing this you can catch and view all new actions/reports as they happen.

I do this whenever there's an important or interesting fight going on. Duels are a lot cooler when you can read what happens when the fight is still going on.
Love, scriver~

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13213 on: July 09, 2011, 06:15:28 pm »

How do I turn off invasions in df2010? I can't find the option in the init files anywhere, and I don't understand the military system well enough to get the bearded little fuckers to train properly.
I just want to sandbox around without the threat of goblins attacking with their weapons and their bows and massacring my poor trainees before they can even skill up, and causing tantrum spirals.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13214 on: July 09, 2011, 06:20:16 pm »

Change [INVADERS:YES] to [INVADERS:NO] in d_init.txt
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 879 880 [881] 882 883 ... 1178