Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125787 times)

Fischer541

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13185 on: July 08, 2011, 05:36:13 pm »

Decided to reclaim the one fortress I was upset about losing. I sealed off the entrances to the caverns reclaimed everything and set all my stockpiles back up. Everything was going good for the first five minutes. Then bam   Urist McNosey has been struck down, take a look and a Cave Croc was ripping everyone up. Managed to get some outfitted with armor and weapons from the previous fortress but only one guy is left. Right now, he's bashing the croc in the head with his iron crossbow. So how long will this take? (He's a novice and the croc is knocked out).

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13186 on: July 08, 2011, 06:35:33 pm »

Try undoing the tomb then DFcleartask is that gonna help ?
i dont use third party programs.  i'm running linux as well.  i'd like to handle this within game, and without dicking around in wine if at all possible.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13187 on: July 08, 2011, 07:01:05 pm »

form d_init or init make it so that water is displayed as numbers and look which end of the river has smaller numbers.

Yeah, I can't do that because both ends are frozen into blocks of ice :P But I'd like to know before I melt the whole river, because it'll be waay easier to dig my reservoir etc. first rather than after the river's melted.

I've thought about using DF Probe to figure out which are the water-source tiles but I don't know how to read it.

Ah. You could try to mine out both ends and see if either spawns more water (or ice).

Ahhah, that's a good idea!  Thanks! Though there's the problem that edge tiles are unmineable, but I think I read somewhere that brooks have source tiles for more than just the row right at the edge.

Just to update people, I tried this -- or, more specifically, carving the ice walls on each end into fortifications and seeing which ones re-froze -- and it worked! luckily, the end that's beneath stone is the end it flows from, which should make it much easier than I feared to get this rolling. Thanks!

Fischer541

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13188 on: July 08, 2011, 07:34:19 pm »

So I chased the croc off. But I just noticed I have no other civilizations in my area. WHat the hell? I haven't been gone that LONG for all the civilizations to disappear. What gives?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13189 on: July 08, 2011, 09:31:13 pm »

No civs on the embark screen, or no civs on the civs screen in-game? If it's the latter, civs only appear on the list once they appear on-site.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13190 on: July 08, 2011, 11:20:12 pm »

i'm getting spammed out with "cancels store item in tomb: item inaccessible".   i see no unburied corpses in my stocks menu.  no body of water has a dwarf body part or corpse.  no dwarf is restricted to any burrow.  the job from the manager screen will zoom me to the cancelling dwarf, or the tomb.  i'd like to find out where this inaccessible corpse or body part is, so that i can make it accessible and get rid of the message spam.   how do i do this?

Items are also stored in tombs sometimes - check for items owned by Urist McDeadDwarf if you know where he died.

Also, if it's a succession game, do d->b->H to unhide everything and see if someone before you might have hidden a bunch of stuff.  It's also possible to accidentally hide things if you use the d-b-? menu a lot like I tend to.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:22:17 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13191 on: July 09, 2011, 02:35:05 am »

Will dwarves be able to walk up ramps if the space they'd be moving into is just another up ramp?
Like so:

Code: [Select]
First level
OOO
▲▲▲

Second Level
OOO
▲▲▲
▼▼▼

Third level
OOO
▲▲▲
▼▼▼

and so on
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13192 on: July 09, 2011, 02:52:43 am »

Ramps are evil.  Just use stairs :)

Until/unless Toady fixes trader wagons, then ramps will be needed again, maybe.

I know that doesn't answer the question, but honestly I don't know because stairs work better in all ways, I never use ramps except when they are created due to channeling, and even then I normally get rid of them and make stairs where I want my dwarves to path at.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13193 on: July 09, 2011, 03:02:53 am »

i intend to use ramps for aesthetic purposes.

Having just scaled a near-sheer cliff face in adventure mode, I can say that the design I post does in fact work.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13194 on: July 09, 2011, 03:56:40 am »

Yeah that ramp setup should work.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13195 on: July 09, 2011, 07:46:07 am »

I dug out a channel connected to a river. I expected that dwarves can walk through water if it is only a one-wide channel but apparently I was wrong...

Now I'd like to close the connection to the river. Is there a way to do that?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13196 on: July 09, 2011, 07:57:51 am »

I dug out a channel connected to a river. I expected that dwarves can walk through water if it is only a one-wide channel but apparently I was wrong...

+you should had placed beforehand a flood gate and linked it to a lever.
Now you have two choices:
wall it off further away where the water is in just 1/7
or place a support and hope the cavein closes the channel. even if i think it doesn't.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13197 on: July 09, 2011, 08:24:53 am »

+you should had placed beforehand a flood gate and linked it to a lever.
Now you have two choices:
wall it off further away where the water is in just 1/7
or place a support and hope the cavein closes the channel. even if i think it doesn't.

I normally do that but as I said, I was expecting that the dwarves can walk through it so I didn't think it was necessary.

I already tried a minor cave-in that nearly ended in a major catastrophe :)
I built a wall on the corner of a wall below it and then removed the lower wall.
Like so (o=wall, . = open space, v=channel/downward slope, x=soil):
Code: [Select]
.o.
..o
xvx
The wall piece smashed through the channel tile into the room below, connecting the river with my fort... Fortunately, the room had been my now unused first farming area and had a door anyway.
I also tried the same setup with a channel tile that wasn't on top of a room (yes, I sometimes do learn), but it didn't work, either.

Any other suggestions? Maybe if I piled up some more wall pieces?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13198 on: July 09, 2011, 08:41:34 am »

then you'll have to use a PUMP.
it should drain the water.
place it where it connects, you might lose a tile of space, but still it should give you possibility to wall off the leak.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13199 on: July 09, 2011, 08:50:51 am »

then you'll have to use a PUMP.
it should drain the water.
place it where it connects, you might lose a tile of space, but still it should give you possibility to wall off the leak.
I'll try that, thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 878 879 [880] 881 882 ... 1178