Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125643 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13140 on: July 07, 2011, 06:48:12 pm »

Do eggs from merchants come fertilized?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13141 on: July 07, 2011, 06:48:44 pm »

Nil, I did exactly what the raws suggested, setting the HEALING_RATE to 2000.  My question is whether his ability to stand will ever be restored, or if the cyan nerve damage is permanent because I changed the raws after the injury happened.

eventually.  it may take MANY years, especially if the dwarf in question is noted as being slow to heal.  had a miner with "slow to heal" who took a kind of minor lower spine injury that never healed to the point where even a crutch would help.  of course the nervous tissue would not heal, but after a good 5-6 years the bone had healed.  determined bugger mined, masoned, and hauled as best she could, but eventually she could not crawl fast enough to escape the goblins.  by the by, this same minor, with this same injury, spent three or four years in a traction bench.

so who knows, may take ten years or more before it really heals.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

triatoma

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13142 on: July 07, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »

My plot is outside and I have seeds harvested from plants around the fortress (outside) I have tried planting in all seasons.

about the lung fish, my question is how to kill it in order to butcher it.

thanks

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13143 on: July 07, 2011, 07:09:24 pm »

Lung fish are Vermin.  They can't be butchered.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13144 on: July 07, 2011, 07:20:24 pm »

Do eggs from merchants come fertilized?
Highly doubt it.  The act of an egg hatching seems to be liked to nest boxes.  And since there is no way to place an egg into a nest box. (other than the direct method) they won't hatch.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13145 on: July 07, 2011, 07:35:03 pm »

Thank you, RAKninja.  I just looked and the dwarf in question isn't noted as being a slow healer.  He is weak, though.  I'll just keep an eye on him if he keeps living.  Can't see how he'd die, though, considering he's always just arriving at the battle as it ends.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13146 on: July 07, 2011, 07:42:50 pm »

Another question. I just had my most successful defense against a goblin siege (ended in only one minor injury of a cut hand). Go me. So I ordered my goblin prisoners to be stripped for latter !!science!!. Well I noticed they started dumping all their stuff into my garbage dump (the river). Instead of going through and un dumping each item individually, is there some way I can mass un dump stuff being held by a dwarf?
I only play legends mode

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13147 on: July 07, 2011, 08:46:37 pm »

Zaphod, you should just make another garbage dump (i) -> (g) near the prisoners you're stripping.  Remember to un-designate just the cages, and remember to turn off your riverside dump while stripping prisoners.  After everything's been "dumped" you can reclaim and do what you want with it.  It takes a little micro-managing, but I think that's the easiest way to do it.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #13148 on: July 07, 2011, 11:01:18 pm »

Ok, got another question about equipping armor (as if there aren't enough already).

I've been working with the list found here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armor#Equipping_Clothing

How do you go about getting them to put things on in the right order?  I set up three different uniforms, starting with caps, mail shirts, socks, mittens, and trousers, then the next uniform had those items plus breastplate, helm, gauntlets, boots, greaves.  The final layer added cloaks and so on.  I thought doing this would get the dwarves to apply the armor in the appropriate layers, but some evidently didn't follow.

So, how do you guys go about getting them to put on all the armor and in the correct order?  Also, does material affect the size?  I'm having trouble particularly with the hats.  I set two steel caps, one steel helm, and 6 leather hoods, but they don't seem to want to put on one of the caps.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13149 on: July 08, 2011, 12:04:12 am »

The lepord that died in the aformentioned siege. His body is on my refuse pile. But I can't seem to do anything with it. Like tan his hide, or render fat, butcher, ect. He's labeled as mutilated. The wiki doesn't have much to say on the matter. How can I fix that? I need delicious giant leopard stakes that can be enjoyed while wearing leopard mittens.
I only play legends mode

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13150 on: July 08, 2011, 12:21:18 am »

hi all...just a quicky and another newb question sorry...can you build a room/burrow that has two doors one that allows entrance one way but only an exit through the other door.....basically a 2 door room but only one way in and one way out sorry for the long winded explaination.....thanks in advance......:]

How much effort to you want to put into this, because if you want to use some hatches and mechanisms, it's doable.

What you are looking for is basically a Dwarf friendly goblin grinder, using pressure plates and hatches to force dwarves to path in certain directions.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13151 on: July 08, 2011, 01:05:19 am »

Couple questions about breeding:

1. Is being fat or skinny bad or good for being a war animal?
2. If it doesn't say that an animal is muscular or weak, is it just of average muscularity?

Edit: Also, animals will breed with each other regardless of relation or parentage, right?

I can tell you that my adult dwarves in a 20 year no-dwarf embark are all enormous with huge slabs of fat, and it definitely helps prevent damage.

I just cleaned out a really ugly failed 1200 tile obsidian mixer (took three dwarf-years to get the magma pockets cleaned out safely).  When I started actually digging out the obsidian, there were lots and lots of collapses.  I was careful to be sure that my dwarves would not walk under the open areas by setting the lower level to 64 count restricted areas, and the upper levels to 1 count high traffic areas, which basically kept everyone up on top, no shortcuts underneath.

There were still large numbers of collapses where my dwarves fell in on top of what they were mining when another dwarf mined out next to them.  When this happened, the dwarves would be stunned or even unconscious, but after several dozen collapses, no dwarf every took a single wound from falling or being thrown by secondary collapses.  They did breathe in dust and get some bad thoughts, but other than that, falling on top of a collapse, or even being thrown a few tiles by a collapse near them when they were already unconscious or stunned did nothing to them at all.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13152 on: July 08, 2011, 01:10:29 am »

My plot is outside and I have seeds harvested from plants around the fortress (outside) I have tried planting in all seasons.

thanks

The farm is outside.  OK, was it always outside, or did you start it indoors, then dig out above it?  If so, you need to re-make it.

I've never experienced any issue making farms work, but some people indicate that you might have to collect or buy the plants you want to use before you are allowed to plant them, so if you are reclaiming an old embark, you might need to collect more plants, make brew, and try to plant again.  Also be sure to reclaim buildings, and farms are buildings I think, for reclaim purposes.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13153 on: July 08, 2011, 01:13:07 am »

The lepord that died in the aformentioned siege. His body is on my refuse pile. But I can't seem to do anything with it. Like tan his hide, or render fat, butcher, ect. He's labeled as mutilated. The wiki doesn't have much to say on the matter. How can I fix that? I need delicious giant leopard stakes that can be enjoyed while wearing leopard mittens.

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think mutilated corpses are allowed for butchering - they are just too damaged?  I've never really noticed.  I typically have too many domestic animals to really care if wild animals or enemy animals get butchered.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13154 on: July 08, 2011, 03:10:07 am »

Thank you, RAKninja.  I just looked and the dwarf in question isn't noted as being a slow healer.  He is weak, though.  I'll just keep an eye on him if he keeps living.  Can't see how he'd die, though, considering he's always just arriving at the battle as it ends.

i was wrong...  that crippled miner didnt die.  it was another dwarf who had recently converted to miner that was also crippled. 

if you're feeling merciful, give the poor crippled bastard a job at a workshop he doesent have to move around too much in.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 1178