Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125630 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13125 on: July 07, 2011, 02:34:14 pm »

Quick question, I'm trying to make a garbage chute going all the way from ground level into the magmasea, but I hit a snag midway.
Easiest way to solve this is to just build around it but I'm not sure if that will work out for dumping.

So if I were to dump an item into a long shaft, and somewhere in the shaft I have it end in a ramp with another shaft right next to it, will the item just drop onto the ramp or will it 'slide' deeper in?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13126 on: July 07, 2011, 02:40:51 pm »

hi all...just a quicky and another newb question sorry...can you build a room/burrow that has two doors one that allows entrance one way but only an exit through the other door.....basically a 2 door room but only one way in and one way out sorry for the long winded explaination.....thanks in advance......:]

The short answer is no, there is no way in game to do this.

The longer answer is that there MAY be a way, if you absolutely must. In 40d due to a bug it was possible to make one way passageways- I do not know if it still works, but the relevant article is here if you want to experiment anyway.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13127 on: July 07, 2011, 02:59:40 pm »

Oh damn I misread, nevermind.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:07:25 pm by Jelle »

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13128 on: July 07, 2011, 03:03:24 pm »

hi all...just a quicky and another newb question sorry...can you build a room/burrow that has two doors one that allows entrance one way but only an exit through the other door.....basically a 2 door room but only one way in and one way out sorry for the long winded explaination.....thanks in advance......:]
sure, it's just got to be a dwarf or two at a time.  have a pressure plate just inside the first door that shuts the first door, and one on the outside of the second that opens the first.  you may experiment with traffic zones as well.  making the whole thouroughfare "high traffic" and the real route "restricted" will ensure traffic, if this is your purpose.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13129 on: July 07, 2011, 03:18:06 pm »

So if I were to dump an item into a long shaft, and somewhere in the shaft I have it end in a ramp with another shaft right next to it, will the item just drop onto the ramp or will it 'slide' deeper in?
No, ramps do not redirect objects which fall on them at all.

What you could do is place a single-tile retracting bridge on the bottom of the first shaft, and have it driven by a repeater.  The bridge will constantly be retracting and extending.  Objects which fall on it will be fling around randomly and will eventually get thrown into the second shaft.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

redmenace.uk

• Bay Watcher
  • "Brew cornish rattler"...... "A party has begun"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13130 on: July 07, 2011, 03:43:24 pm »

sure, it's just got to be a dwarf or two at a time.  have a pressure plate just inside the first door that shuts the first door, and one on the outside of the second that opens the first.  you may experiment with traffic zones as well.  making the whole thouroughfare "high traffic" and the real route "restricted" will ensure traffic, if this is your purpose.

many thanks guys will give it a go .... laterz....:]
The Minotaur hacks Redmenace in the head with his copper battle axe, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
Redmenace walks it off!...............;]

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13131 on: July 07, 2011, 04:16:17 pm »

I edited my raws so that nerve tissue heals at half the rate of bone, as it suggests to do in the wiki if you want spinal injuries to heal.

I have a dwarf with a lower spine.  It was a lower spine, but I guess it healed a little.  On the wounds screen, he's showing Heavy bruising on the lower spine, nervous tissue, and ability to stand lost under the Status heading.  Is that lower spine just going to take a couple years to heal, or is it basically as healed as it will get?

He's in the military and is not bedridden, just very slow.  Crawling around, I imagine.  His injury was over a year ago.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13132 on: July 07, 2011, 04:27:59 pm »

Couple questions about breeding:

1. Is being fat or skinny bad or good for being a war animal?
2. If it doesn't say that an animal is muscular or weak, is it just of average muscularity?

Edit: Also, animals will breed with each other regardless of relation or parentage, right?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:30:13 pm by beefsupreme »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13133 on: July 07, 2011, 04:46:28 pm »

I edited my raws so that nerve tissue heals at half the rate of bone, as it suggests to do in the wiki if you want spinal injuries to heal.

I have a dwarf with a lower spine.  It was a lower spine, but I guess it healed a little.  On the wounds screen, he's showing Heavy bruising on the lower spine, nervous tissue, and ability to stand lost under the Status heading.  Is that lower spine just going to take a couple years to heal, or is it basically as healed as it will get?

He's in the military and is not bedridden, just very slow.  Crawling around, I imagine.  His injury was over a year ago.
Spinal wounds never heal.  According to the wiki you can fiddle with the raws to change this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Couple questions about breeding:

1. Is being fat or skinny bad or good for being a war animal?
2. If it doesn't say that an animal is muscular or weak, is it just of average muscularity?

Edit: Also, animals will breed with each other regardless of relation or parentage, right?
1. I don't believe being fat carries any kind of agility penalty, and am pretty sure that an attack much cut through any fat layers before hitting important organs.
2. Yes.

Don't think animals respect any kind of incest taboo.

Also, for the record, I'm almost postive I've heard Toady say that children don't get any kind of genetic information from their parents when it comes to dwarves (only from their civilization) and doubt it's any different when it comes to animals.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:48:37 pm by nil »

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13134 on: July 07, 2011, 05:54:05 pm »

Nil, I did exactly what the raws suggested, setting the HEALING_RATE to 2000.  My question is whether his ability to stand will ever be restored, or if the cyan nerve damage is permanent because I changed the raws after the injury happened.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13135 on: July 07, 2011, 06:00:25 pm »

I have a thriving Draltha ranch in my current fortress that began with a single pregnant female.  There doesn't seem to be any incest taboo or penalty for inbreeding in animals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13136 on: July 07, 2011, 06:11:31 pm »

How do you slaughter things that get caught in cage traps and are not tameable, other than manually in the arena?

I have some 10 cages of badger man bones and meat currently too alive to be processed.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13137 on: July 07, 2011, 06:18:46 pm »

Can't butcher sapients, and I believe this includes whatever-men. So only arena. Or a drop from far above to make them explode into little pieces.
Love, scriver~

triatoma

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13138 on: July 07, 2011, 06:41:38 pm »

Hello, I am new to the game and am having a lot of fun.

I have the above problem and have a lung fish in the cage, that is not sapien is it?

My other problem is that my farm plot says it does not have seeds available fot that area but I have lots of seeds from brewing.

Thanks in advance

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13139 on: July 07, 2011, 06:44:59 pm »

Lung fish don't count for the purposes of needing to be fed or watered (ironic, as they're fish, you'd think they'd need water).

As for your farm plots, you have to (q)uery the plot and select what is supposed to be grown there each season. Certain crops can only be grown in the summer, fall, etc. Also check if they are inside or outside? (Check with k). If they're outside, they need to grow outside seeds, like strawberries. If they're inside, you can only grow inside crops, like plump helmets.
Pages: 1 ... 874 875 [876] 877 878 ... 1178