Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125583 times)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13110 on: July 06, 2011, 09:39:39 pm »

Yes, it does.

I always like to check the wiki for components and ingredients.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Soap

Both lye and tallow (or oil pressed from rock nuts, but tallow is obviously a lot easier to obtain) are required for soap.

Logs at furnace -> Ash
Ash + bucket at ashey -> lye
Lye + tallow/oil at soapmaker -> soap!

A lot of hassle, but infections are nasty.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13111 on: July 07, 2011, 05:24:06 am »

also, watch for buckets getting filled with water and lye at the same time.  makes the buckets useless for anything till you designate the water for dumping, and somehow get the dwarves to haul the bucket somewhere.  usually the trade depot.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13112 on: July 07, 2011, 05:41:53 am »

My fortress is has got a large area on the surface. While it was initially quite nice to have wood inside the walls and some outdoor areas as well, what are the safety implications? Should I dome my fortress before flying goblins come?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13113 on: July 07, 2011, 06:29:21 am »

My fortress is has got a large area on the surface. While it was initially quite nice to have wood inside the walls and some outdoor areas as well, what are the safety implications? Should I dome my fortress before flying goblins come?

I have a followup on this question.
If you construct a roof, will the trees still grow?
And if not, do you need a glass roof to let the sun in?
AND if you do, will any enemy that lands or is above the glass roof scare any dwarfs that are under the roof?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13114 on: July 07, 2011, 06:34:09 am »

Flying can be a concern, but most dangerous flying enemies come from below, not the surface.

Building a roof does not prevent aboveground plants from growing.
Constructed floors let light in regardless of material.
Dwarves can not see through constructed walls or floors regardless of material.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13115 on: July 07, 2011, 06:36:09 am »

Flying can be a concern, but most dangerous flying enemies come from below, not the surface.

Thats nice. But if I create a glass roof just for show? Will they detect enemies above it?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13116 on: July 07, 2011, 06:37:44 am »

No. Dwarves can not see through floors, regardless of material.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13117 on: July 07, 2011, 06:50:36 am »

Thats nice. But if I create a glass roof just for show? Will they detect enemies above it?

Dwarves can't see through floors, but grates, I think, can be seen through, so if you place lots of grates in it along with the regular floors, you can create a roof that can effectively be seen through.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13118 on: July 07, 2011, 07:11:31 am »

I believe crutches are assigned by the medical dwarf.  It's their call, if the dwarf doesn't have a crutch by now and they are available, they probably won't get one.

I don't fully understand how crutches work, but in my experience, when a dwarf is lying in the hospital bed with a missing leg and hasn't been diagnosed yet, the (z) (h) (second to last) screen will say "Crutch required" and "Diagnosis required".  In other words, it seems that the game itself decrees that a dwarf is going to need a crutch (or not), even before the doctor has seen her.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, though.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13119 on: July 07, 2011, 07:41:13 am »

I believe crutches are assigned by the medical dwarf.  It's their call, if the dwarf doesn't have a crutch by now and they are available, they probably won't get one.

I don't fully understand how crutches work, but in my experience, when a dwarf is lying in the hospital bed with a missing leg and hasn't been diagnosed yet, the (z) (h) (second to last) screen will say "Crutch required" and "Diagnosis required".  In other words, it seems that the game itself decrees that a dwarf is going to need a crutch (or not), even before the doctor has seen her.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, though.

some injuries just are not helpable with a crutch, like spine or brain damage.  broken hip may count as well.

i've had several leg injuries, and the dwarves have had no problems using crutches.  my old militia captian had a hand and a foot missing.  crutched to battle with no weapon, only a shield..... and made many a kill with that shield.  once even the crutch.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13120 on: July 07, 2011, 09:01:01 am »

also, watch for buckets getting filled with water and lye at the same time.  makes the buckets useless for anything till you designate the water for dumping, and somehow get the dwarves to haul the bucket somewhere.  usually the trade depot.

Workaround:  Start a milking industry.  Milkers will grab up the water+lye buckets (if you're lucky?), empty them, then fill them with milk.  They put the milk in barrels, and voila!  Empty buckets.  Been doing this for a while, and haven't run out of buckets yet.

On Crutches:  I had a military dwarf that got wounded badly enough to permanently require a crutch.  I didn't notice until he was a legendary crutch-walker.  That didn't help him when he went out to meet the goblin siege, but hey.  He used a crutch.

Unrelated:  I occasionally have Dwarves that get stuck at the well, moving back and forth from my soap stockpile while trying to "Clean Self."  They do this for months at a time.  I keep the soap right next to my wells for ease of access, so they're only moving between two tiles.  Only way I've seen them stop is drafting, I think.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13121 on: July 07, 2011, 12:58:36 pm »

Follow up question on that.

Hospital zones: I made one with beds and tables right next to them for opperating (as per the wiki's instructions) and a traction bench.
The stuff in the hospital menu (example soap 0/400, splints 0/500, ect), is that stuff supposed to be stored in the hospital or is it gotten as needed? Because my hospital is empty of all that stuff. Granted my hospital is also (thankfully) yet unused except by a few lazy couch surfers.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13122 on: July 07, 2011, 01:07:08 pm »

Construct chests/coffers/boxes (not cabinets) and build them in your hospital.  Your dwarves will then store the hospital supplies in those.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13123 on: July 07, 2011, 01:22:45 pm »

Construct chests/coffers/boxes (not cabinets) and build them in your hospital.  Your dwarves will then store the hospital supplies in those.

To elaborate, dwarves will get hospital materials, but they will need to walk much farther (not a good recipe for avoiding infections.) Further, outside of a hospital any dwarf can grab it, so you may run out of thread for sutures because your clothier wanted to make some socks. Goods stockpiled in a hospital are reserved for hospital use.

And to comment on the "couch surfers," make sure you have plenty of beds so that when you DO need to hospitalize half your military the guy missing a leg isn't left in the field because the only free bed was already claimed by Urist McLazy.

redmenace.uk

• Bay Watcher
  • "Brew cornish rattler"...... "A party has begun"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13124 on: July 07, 2011, 02:33:11 pm »

hi all...just a quicky and another newb question sorry...can you build a room/burrow that has two doors one that allows entrance one way but only an exit through the other door.....basically a 2 door room but only one way in and one way out sorry for the long winded explaination.....thanks in advance......:]
The Minotaur hacks Redmenace in the head with his copper battle axe, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull and tearing apart the brain!
Redmenace walks it off!...............;]
Pages: 1 ... 873 874 [875] 876 877 ... 1178