Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125612 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13095 on: July 06, 2011, 05:34:21 pm »

Doctors will use supplies from anywhere.  They don't have to be inside the hospital.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ferozstein

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes magma and dwarves for their macabre ways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13096 on: July 06, 2011, 05:40:16 pm »

Great. Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks! :)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13097 on: July 06, 2011, 05:44:07 pm »

Oh, about desalinizing water. Does the roof have to be constructed as well? Or does that not actually make contact with the water?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13098 on: July 06, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »

I never needed to, but in my most recent attempts the roof was just open space.  So maybe that changed.  Worth a shot if you have a dirt ceiling anyplace I suppose.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13099 on: July 06, 2011, 06:12:28 pm »

I'm currently making sure the whole track is floored out and the edges walled off. Then I'll go for another testrun. Just a shame that it takes an awful while to dry up. If that doesn't work, I'll make a thread so the greater dwarven collective can share their thoughts on the matter. I don't feel like replacing the roof just yet.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13100 on: July 06, 2011, 06:17:56 pm »

Still trying to figure out how to make Urist McBedRest grab a crutch :S
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13101 on: July 06, 2011, 06:26:02 pm »

I think I've seen a dwarf with a crutch.. once. Or maybe it was my imagination.

The rest seems to take a few splints, and just sit in the traction bench until the wound is healed. Plenty of crutches available. So I'm at a loss as well here.

Maybe it first needs plaster powder in order to properly set the bone before the dwarf can use a crutch? I have no plaster powder in my fort, which might explain it..

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13102 on: July 06, 2011, 06:44:10 pm »

That's the thing though, I never bothered to make plaster casts, and maybe 3/4 times my "Dwarves" grab a crutch normally. I think I have at least two disabled ex-hunters using crutches properly.

Those other times were military with two handed weapons, and a couple guys who had a lower spine injurys and a missing arm or disabled arm, so that may have confused it a bit.   I honestly have no idea why yer guy isn't getting a crutch.   Maybe he just likes crawling, a crutch wouldn't make them go any faster for the first year or so anyway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13103 on: July 06, 2011, 06:49:08 pm »

The funny thing is, they don't even seem to need a crutch. I think: "Hey, this guy has been in his traction bench for an awfully long time. Time to rediagnose."

I then remove his traction bench, he gets up, does something .. then realizes "derrrrp I'm supposed to be in bed, resting!" and cancels whatever he was doing. He's back in bed, rediagnosed, put back in the traction bench.

This was with a red knee, red ankle and I think even a dwarf with a red arm. Current guy that does it has a red hip. "Fractured"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:52:14 pm by IceShade »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13104 on: July 06, 2011, 07:46:58 pm »

Still trying to figure out how to make Urist McBedRest grab a crutch :S

I believe crutches are assigned by the medical dwarf.  It's their call, if the dwarf doesn't have a crutch by now and they are available, they probably won't get one.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13105 on: July 06, 2011, 07:48:48 pm »

Doctors will use supplies from anywhere.  They don't have to be inside the hospital.

However, I think that supplies not located inside the hospital will also be used by other dwarves?  Never watched it closely though, I'm not sure.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13106 on: July 06, 2011, 08:27:43 pm »

However, I think that supplies not located inside the hospital will also be used by other dwarves?  Never watched it closely though, I'm not sure.

This is true. I believe that doctors will also prefer hospital stockpiles instead of general fortress stockpiles, although that may just be a result of having the hospital stockpiles be closest to the hospital patients.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13107 on: July 06, 2011, 09:13:40 pm »

Why can't I make soap, when I have tallow, buckets, a soap maker and soap maker shop? The option to make soap out of tallow is red. I have 2 tallow tho.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13108 on: July 06, 2011, 09:18:10 pm »

I don't suppose you also have lye?

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13109 on: July 06, 2011, 09:30:28 pm »

no, i thought you needed either lye or tallow not both? I guess that answers the question.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.
Pages: 1 ... 872 873 [874] 875 876 ... 1178