Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125432 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13050 on: July 05, 2011, 10:01:20 pm »

He's resting in a bed already?  Odd.  He should be getting some kind of treatment then... Oh well, try deconstructing the bed he's sleeping in, that will either get him walking around so you can kick him around some more, or maybe wake the doctors up and get them to re-diagnose him.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13051 on: July 05, 2011, 10:30:46 pm »

He's resting in a bed already?  Odd.  He should be getting some kind of treatment then... Oh well, try deconstructing the bed he's sleeping in, that will either get him walking around so you can kick him around some more, or maybe wake the doctors up and get them to re-diagnose him.

yea...the chief med dwarf is too busy putting things in bags although his only labour enabled are diagnosis and bone setting :S (both of which he is high master in)
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #13052 on: July 05, 2011, 10:50:22 pm »

Can I build a floor to cover a stairway? Specifically I want to block a cavern I opened till I get my military up to snuff. The stairs in question are 2 side by side tiles.

If it's a down stair, then definitely yes.  I don't know about for up/down stairs.  If the stairs don't lead anywhere else, you could just build a wall  in the tunnel to block the way.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13053 on: July 05, 2011, 11:13:38 pm »

so one of my guys lost his lower leg to a violent ghost, and my chief of medical (has diagnostics enabled) refuses to diagnose...help?  The legless guy is starting to smell funny and id like to get him back to work... how do i get my cmd to stop hauling crap and harvesting plants nd diagnose?  (he only has diagnostics, cleaning, and bone setting enabled...thats it...)

If the patient is in the hospital, set up a hospital warren/burrow and keep the chief medical dwarf in there with his own little bedroom and storage for food and drink.  If there are no wounded to tend, remove him from the burrow and let him socialize.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13054 on: July 05, 2011, 11:14:41 pm »

Can I build a floor to cover a stairway? Specifically I want to block a cavern I opened till I get my military up to snuff. The stairs in question are 2 side by side tiles.

If it's a down stair, then definitely yes.  I don't know about for up/down stairs.  If the stairs don't lead anywhere else, you could just build a wall  in the tunnel to block the way.

If it's an up/down stair you will have to dig/destroy the up stair before putting a floor in.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13055 on: July 05, 2011, 11:34:56 pm »

I have magma at z-level 48, and oddly enough, the sea at level 58. Is this rare, because for the most part, the sea seems to be at level 160 or so. Any ideas?
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13056 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:35 am »

I have a dizzy dwarf.  The wiki lists it as the effect of a syndrome, but I haven't had any contact with forgotten beasts (caverns are walled off).  It isn't spreading to any other dwarves, and hasn't incapacitated the dwarf.  What could possibly cause this?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13057 on: July 06, 2011, 12:41:23 am »

Actually, I've had a hospital problem too. One of my military dwarves got injured and has lost his ability to stand. He has been diagnosed and has no treatment scheduled (nor any immediate health problems apart from the ability to stand lost), but he seems to be just slacking off instead of walking with the crutches I've made.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13058 on: July 06, 2011, 12:45:18 am »

I have a dizzy dwarf.  The wiki lists it as the effect of a syndrome, but I haven't had any contact with forgotten beasts (caverns are walled off).  It isn't spreading to any other dwarves, and hasn't incapacitated the dwarf.  What could possibly cause this?
I think cave spiders (not giant cave spiders, just regular sized) can cause this.  They're vermin, so they kind of flicker in and out of detectibility, but you can usually tell if they're around or not by the presence or absence of webs.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13059 on: July 06, 2011, 12:49:41 am »

I think cave spiders (not giant cave spiders, just regular sized) can cause this.  They're vermin, so they kind of flicker in and out of detectibility, but you can usually tell if they're around or not by the presence or absence of webs.

Yeah, I've had the webs in some workshops that I hadn't used in a while.  But do they cause a permanent thing?  I thought the bite left the dwarf sick for a little while, then they got better.  No idea why it's just this one dwarf and for so long.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13060 on: July 06, 2011, 12:56:36 am »

Yeah, I've had the webs in some workshops that I hadn't used in a while.  But do they cause a permanent thing?  I thought the bite left the dwarf sick for a little while, then they got better.  No idea why it's just this one dwarf and for so long.
Nope, it's permanent.  If you look in the RAWs (under the cave spider entry in creature_subterranean) there's even a comment pointing out that their syndrome "never ends!"

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13061 on: July 06, 2011, 01:48:56 am »

Huh.  Never noticed.  Perhaps I should up the number of cats.  Seem to have too many dogs and poultry than cats.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13062 on: July 06, 2011, 03:20:54 am »

Why isn't my militia commander equiping all his armor? I set a full set of leather, under a full set of steel, under a cloak, and yet all he wears are his greaves, one boot, his helmet, and a breastplate.

That and his mace and sheild.

EDIT: Despite being pretty much naked, he managed to repell an entire goblin army by himself.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:46:31 am by PCpaste »
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13063 on: July 06, 2011, 06:44:25 am »

what exactly affect how deep you have to dig to discover a cave ??

It has been 4-5 fortress where 5 level down and I hit a cave already !

another thing is, how many layer do I have to make my bed room away from the workshop ?

usually I go 5 level deep before starting a workshoh but well the cave is giving me some problem

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13064 on: July 06, 2011, 06:58:09 am »

what exactly affect how deep you have to dig to discover a cave ??

It has been 4-5 fortress where 5 level down and I hit a cave already !

another thing is, how many layer do I have to make my bed room away from the workshop ?

usually I go 5 level deep before starting a workshoh but well the cave is giving me some problem
About the cave-thing I have no idea, but I guess it depends on the map and on which elevation you start on.
At the embark screen you can press tab untill you see a bunch of numbers, the higher the number the higher elevation you embark on. Try embarking on a high number and it might be alittle better.
Someone should confirm this tho.

About the noise.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Noise
"Contrary to common belief based on earlier versions, Toady has stated that workshops do not currently produce any noise."
I don't know if this has changed, you just have to believe the wiki as I do.
Pages: 1 ... 869 870 [871] 872 873 ... 1178