Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 868 869 [870] 871 872 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125442 times)

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13035 on: July 05, 2011, 04:51:15 pm »

Every time I load up one of my already created profiles to embark, it says I haven't used all my points and gives me extra points, even though I used up all my points when I saved the profile and used it the first time. It also makes my copper picks and axes disappear, and I can't find them on the new items list even if I search for them. Is this bug, or am I doing something wrong or what?

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13036 on: July 05, 2011, 05:22:42 pm »

Every time I load up one of my already created profiles to embark, it says I haven't used all my points and gives me extra points, even though I used up all my points when I saved the profile and used it the first time. It also makes my copper picks and axes disappear, and I can't find them on the new items list even if I search for them. Is this bug, or am I doing something wrong or what?
That is happening because the mountainhome you've chosen does not have access to copper ore.

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13037 on: July 05, 2011, 05:40:35 pm »

Oh, I get it. There's no copper ore to make the axes and picks out of, so they get removed from the items list and I get the extra points.

How do I tell if a site has copper ore?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13038 on: July 05, 2011, 05:44:20 pm »

Has nothing to do with the site. It's the dwarven civilization you are embarking from.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13039 on: July 05, 2011, 06:43:35 pm »

Ohh, I think I know what I did now.

I created a world, and then chose an embark point. I decided I didn't like the location, so then I abandoned the fortress to quit. I then tried to choose a another location, but I used the same dwarves.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13040 on: July 05, 2011, 06:49:18 pm »

Nah, you're lacking copper in the equipment menu because your dwarves' civilization-of-origin does not have access to copper. You must've chosen a different civilization at embark, if you had access to copper before.

Can't use the same dwarves twice either. It always generates new ones, you only save the way you spent the embarking points.
Love, scriver~

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13041 on: July 05, 2011, 06:57:08 pm »

Nah, you're lacking copper in the equipment menu because your dwarves' civilization-of-origin does not have access to copper. You must've chosen a different civilization at embark, if you had access to copper before.

Can't use the same dwarves twice either. It always generates new ones, you only save the way you spent the embarking points.

Oh. Guess I was wrong then. How do I determine what civilization my dwarves come from?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13042 on: July 05, 2011, 07:00:11 pm »

Hit tab during embark, gives you all kinds of overlays on the map and stuff.  One of them is a list of civ names (not races, that's another screen) you can scroll that list to pick your home civ.  As a bonus it indicates on the map the location there worldgen sites are supposed to be.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13043 on: July 05, 2011, 07:05:08 pm »

Thanks, I'll try that.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13044 on: July 05, 2011, 09:08:08 pm »

so one of my guys lost his lower leg to a violent ghost, and my chief of medical (has diagnostics enabled) refuses to diagnose...help?  The legless guy is starting to smell funny and id like to get him back to work... how do i get my cmd to stop hauling crap and harvesting plants nd diagnose?  (he only has diagnostics, cleaning, and bone setting enabled...thats it...)
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13045 on: July 05, 2011, 09:12:15 pm »

Can I build a floor to cover a stairway? Specifically I want to block a cavern I opened till I get my military up to snuff. The stairs in question are 2 side by side tiles.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13046 on: July 05, 2011, 09:17:54 pm »

If he completely lost the leg and have no other injuries, they typically won't go get medical treatment, since the doctors have nothing to work on. 

Limbs can't be sewn back on, and it will stop bleeding before even a diagnosis job finishes if they did it.  Really the only thing that the healthcare system could do for them is give them a crutch, but it won't happen until the dwarf suffers some injury that doesn't only result in the loss of a limb, and even then they might not grab one.

The healthcare system is much better than the horrible deathtrap it was earlier, but it still has some little bugs here and there.

Can I build a floor to cover a stairway? Specifically I want to block a cavern I opened till I get my military up to snuff. The stairs in question are 2 side by side tiles.
Yes you can, b-C-f over the stair closes up the downward hole.  If it's a up/down stair and you just wanna close of the downward part, build an up stair over the tile instead. b-C-u
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13047 on: July 05, 2011, 09:35:23 pm »

soooo..how do i get him injured to the point where hell get proper medical treatment?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13048 on: July 05, 2011, 09:42:40 pm »

A 2 z-level fall might do it.  1 won't injure, 2 will break bones and generally* isn't fatal.   Maybe make a 2 z deep pit, build a bridge over it, assign your victim to a burrow on top of the bridge and "Pull the Lever". 

Of course make sure you remove him from the burrow after he falls, and make sure the bottom of the pit is accessible for paramedics.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13049 on: July 05, 2011, 09:52:57 pm »

A 2 z-level fall might do it.  1 won't injure, 2 will break bones and generally* isn't fatal.   Maybe make a 2 z deep pit, build a bridge over it, assign your victim to a burrow on top of the bridge and "Pull the Lever". 

Of course make sure you remove him from the burrow after he falls, and make sure the bottom of the pit is accessible for paramedics.

oh dwarf fortress...the only game where you can cure a missing leg with a 2 story fall...

sooo...will he get out of bed? he's been resting for a few months wasting my food and my job slots...
Pages: 1 ... 868 869 [870] 871 872 ... 1178