Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125414 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13020 on: July 05, 2011, 12:02:15 am »

I believe that large gems are not stockpiled due to some bug.
I could be mistaken.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13021 on: July 05, 2011, 12:19:35 am »

I'm having trouble making a large gem stockpile.  I made a custom stockpile, where the only type of item allowed was large gems.  All materials and quality levels are allowed.  Is this a common problem?  I think I've had it before.
I've had the problem that large gems weren't moved out of the trade depot. I fixed this by designating a small dump area right next to the trade depot, dumped all the large gems, and then reclaimed then from the dump. After that they were transported to the correct stockpile. Maybe you could try something similar.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13022 on: July 05, 2011, 01:19:03 am »

I just built an archer tower that features a target range. I'm quite proud of myself for getting the range to work without asking here, hooray, but...

...isn't it dangerous for Urist McNeedleCushion to stand right in the line of fire of other dwarves?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13023 on: July 05, 2011, 07:25:43 am »

I'm having trouble making a large gem stockpile.  I made a custom stockpile, where the only type of item allowed was large gems.  All materials and quality levels are allowed.  Is this a common problem?  I think I've had it before.

Finished good stockpiles are bugged.  There's no material option for gem-based materials in the finished goods stockpile, so large gems won't be stockpiled in them, even if you select large gems as the only type of finished good allowed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13024 on: July 05, 2011, 07:28:19 am »

Any easy way to tell which way a brook is flowing? I'm trying to melt and then re-direct a frozen brook by running magma underneath it's length, and to re-direct it effectively I need to know which direction it flows in (one end is apparently unmeltable because the ground beneath the border tiles is earth, so I can't engrave it to let lava flow through; hence, depending on the direction of water flow, the brook either is or isn't an infinite water source, as far as I can tell).)
. The top is covered in snow which makes it hard to tell which way the graphics are moving. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:45:38 am by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13025 on: July 05, 2011, 07:47:26 am »

form d_init or init make it so that water is displayed as numbers and look which end of the river has smaller numbers.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13026 on: July 05, 2011, 07:50:46 am »

form d_init or init make it so that water is displayed as numbers and look which end of the river has smaller numbers.

Yeah, I can't do that because both ends are frozen into blocks of ice :P But I'd like to know before I melt the whole river, because it'll be waay easier to dig my reservoir etc. first rather than after the river's melted.

I've thought about using DF Probe to figure out which are the water-source tiles but I don't know how to read it.

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13027 on: July 05, 2011, 07:53:53 am »

Yeah, I can't do that because both ends are frozen into blocks of ice :P But I'd like to know before I melt the whole river, because it'll be waay easier to dig my reservoir etc. first rather than after the river's melted.

I've thought about using DF Probe to figure out which are the water-source tiles but I don't know how to read it.

Ah. You could try to mine out both ends and see if either spawns more water (or ice).

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13028 on: July 05, 2011, 07:58:04 am »

Ah. You could try to mine out both ends and see if either spawns more water (or ice).

Ahhah, that's a good idea!  Thanks! Though there's the problem that edge tiles are unmineable, but I think I read somewhere that brooks have source tiles for more than just the row right at the edge.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13029 on: July 05, 2011, 08:17:57 am »

I just built an archer tower that features a target range. I'm quite proud of myself for getting the range to work without asking here, hooray, but...

...isn't it dangerous for Urist McNeedleCushion to stand right in the line of fire of other dwarves?

Apparently not.  The only "friendly fire" accidents I've had are from ballistae.  (Oh, and congrats on getting the range to work!)
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13030 on: July 05, 2011, 10:35:07 am »

So do I understand this right? It's good to make these weapons out of adamantine:

-Sword
-Spear
-Axe

And bad to make these out of it:

-Hammer
-Mace
-Crossbow

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13031 on: July 05, 2011, 11:52:07 am »

So do I understand this right? It's good to make these weapons out of adamantine:

-Sword
-Spear
-Axe

And bad to make these out of it:

-Hammer
-Mace
-Crossbow
Yup, pretty much.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13032 on: July 05, 2011, 02:05:50 pm »

Actually I've equipped my guards (the military + justice ones) with crossbows - they'll use the ranged attacks on enemies but will deliver less severe punishment to offenders that they would with real melee weapons.  That's something of a niche use, but if you don't need them for fortress defense, you could equip your justice dwarves with adamantium blunt weapons, as they deal punishment equal to pillow fighting.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13033 on: July 05, 2011, 04:02:09 pm »

I keep getting dwarves in strange moods who don't claim workshops and just wander around aimlessly until they go insane. Why aren't they going to workshops?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13034 on: July 05, 2011, 04:32:05 pm »

I keep getting dwarves in strange moods who don't claim workshops and just wander around aimlessly until they go insane. Why aren't they going to workshops?

Because you don't have the workshop they need.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 867 868 [869] 870 871 ... 1178