Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125381 times)

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #13005 on: July 04, 2011, 10:55:39 am »

Another question, how do I make my expedition leader trade? I disables all labors, and he just goes off to update the books. And meanwhile, some guy from the traders is following him around. I requested a trader at the trade depot, and set items to be brought there, but I still can't get him to go there.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13006 on: July 04, 2011, 11:06:36 am »

Your expedition leader appears to be doing the job of your bookkeeper as well as his other stuff.  Reduce the needed accuracy of your stocks to the minimum for a bit and after he finishes his current set of calculations he'll run off likely to the depot, maybe to meet the liaison first.  Once he does what you want set the bookkeeper settings back to where you want them.

If things get terribly desperate you can just q over the depot and allow anyone to trade.  Might not get as much for your goods doing that though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13007 on: July 04, 2011, 11:18:00 am »

E.g. a uniform consisting of
sock
high boot
will give you a naked dwarf wearing a sock on each foot but only one high boot. You need to add another high boot to get him to equip a pair.

I think the socks just confuse them.  Do you also see one-booted dwarves if the only footwear in the uniform is a single pair of high boots?
I'll have to check that. When I started toying around with the uniforms, I put the sock in there to see whether they would put on one or two socks and never changed it afterwards.

I heard that used to be a major issue in pre-.18 versions, because they would take multiple items for one side. I'm playing .18 and they're wearing both boots with only one boot set on the uniform assignment. I does still see occasional problem with sock being piled twice up on one foot, still, though, even with uniform replace. So check to see if both socks are on same foot, since that'll stop them from putting boots on that side.
I'm playing the current version included in the LNP.
All my military dwarves are wearing one sock on each foot. I actually checked every dwarf in my military (~20) before changing the uniform to include two high boots and all items that come in pairs (in my case mittens, gauntlets, and socks) were worn correctly after assining it only once. Only the boots act differently for some reason.
I just checked my military dwarves.  All of then are successfully wearing two boots without me actually having to tell them two wear two.  However, I have their uniform set to 'metal footwear' rather than specifically telling them to wear individual boots, so perhaps that's treated differently.

Possibly. I might try that out when I install my next squad.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13008 on: July 04, 2011, 01:11:29 pm »

The game seems to be ignoring my population cap and ban on pregnancies.  I have the population cap set to 80 and both numbers related to pregnancy set to 0, but they just keep showing up.  I don't want to build an immigrant welcome chamber, but I will if I have to.  Is this a known bug, or I am I missing something?

At least my most recent wave contained a High Master Armorer.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13009 on: July 04, 2011, 02:16:42 pm »

I don't have any problems with the migrant cap, can't really say about children since rarely touch those settings.

But what cap did you set? There's a number (2? not sure maybe 3) of hardcoded migrant waves that will appear regardless of wether your civ is alive or your pop cap.
Also migrants will appear if the current pop is below the cap, even if it brings your new pop well above the max you set.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13010 on: July 04, 2011, 02:31:03 pm »

I had 3 or 4 migrant waves since I had my population cap set at 60.  I'm now closing in on 90 dorfs, my computer is pleading for Armok's mercy, and FPS is dwindling.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13011 on: July 04, 2011, 02:41:25 pm »

I had a strange thing occur recently when I set one of my military squads to kill a rabbit. Reading the report on the battle, a recruit who was armed with a masterwork silver warhammer started attacking the rabbit, which was soon knocked unconscious, without uch damage being done. The recruit then started focussing on finishing the critter off by pounding him in the head. All he could manage though was to bruise the fat. Bang bang bang. He just couldn't get through to the brain. How pathetic was this guy? Maybe he had taken the wrong career path and should have concentrated on dying silk for the rest of his life.

Soon another recruit turned up. Same thing, bang bang bang. Every hit was to the head. All that was accomplished was more ruised fat. Before long, the reasonably experienced squad leader turned up and I thought he would give an excellent demonstration on how to turn brains into mush. Nope, this rabbit sure was a hard nut to crack. Soon, there were about 10 hammerdwarves of varying ability, all pounding him in the head but not getting anywhere.

Eventually the rabbit woke up, looked up at the flurry of silver hammers, and tried to get out of there. Now the dwarves had to try aiming for somewhere besides the rabbit's head, and all of a sudden, bones were breaking with every hit. Didn't take more than a few hits for the whole thing to be over after that.

So what was going on? It has only happened to me once that I have noticed. Was this just a bunny with an extra thick skull or a very fat head? Is this a known bug?
Sounds like a bug to me.  I occasionally see something like this happen when goblins knock out a soldier, but my soldiers wear steel helms so it at least makes a little sense there.  If you have a good, demonstrative save, you should upload it to dffd and post a link here.
Edit: It's not a lowercase c there, but an uppercase. Thanks!
do'h!  glad you figured it out anyway!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13012 on: July 04, 2011, 02:42:31 pm »

Alterations to the popcap take some time to take effect. Think of it as "The migrants are already enroute, so they can't turn back."
Same thing with changing the baby cap mid-game: The babies are already on the way.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13013 on: July 04, 2011, 02:51:33 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, setting the cap lower than the amount of people you already have won't have any other effect than the game ignoring the setting.
Love, scriver~

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13014 on: July 04, 2011, 04:43:24 pm »

If I put a weak, or flimsy dwarf in the military will training and combat strengthen him/her?
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13015 on: July 04, 2011, 06:33:15 pm »

It will, at least to a point. At least strength and agility and such. Not sure about toughness. Probably not.
Love, scriver~

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13016 on: July 04, 2011, 06:37:53 pm »

Will there be any consequences with the elves and dwarves if I go to war with the humans? I've got all these defenses and so few goblins to use them on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13017 on: July 04, 2011, 06:44:18 pm »

Not that I know of, they don't really care about each other. You could go to war with the elves as well, of course. Who needs friends anyway? ;)
Love, scriver~

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13018 on: July 04, 2011, 08:51:03 pm »

Will there be any consequences with the elves and dwarves if I go to war with the humans? I've got all these defenses and so few goblins to use them on.

You have to check legends mode. If there are ties between the civs than yes. Loyalties aren't solely based on racial traits. History plays heavily into it. But elves seem to have the least war between their own race out of all the civs.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13019 on: July 04, 2011, 11:30:42 pm »

I'm having trouble making a large gem stockpile.  I made a custom stockpile, where the only type of item allowed was large gems.  All materials and quality levels are allowed.  Is this a common problem?  I think I've had it before.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!
Pages: 1 ... 866 867 [868] 869 870 ... 1178