Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 864 865 [866] 867 868 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125407 times)

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12975 on: July 03, 2011, 01:02:35 pm »

Ok, so I think  I messed up and want to know if I can fix it.

Following the instructions of the Quick-start guide on the wiki, I made stairways going down 7 levels. Figuring in advance that I would mine out a small space around them, I did this for them. But Doing this over wrote the stairways designation, and I un-paused it. On 2 levels, where they had made half of the stairs, they now mined out the rest. Now I can't build any stairs in those spaces, and all of my miners are trapped down there for some reason. How can I make stairs for them?

Edit: WITHOUT Mining into the walls, and constructing more stairs there.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:05:04 pm by Miner49 »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12976 on: July 03, 2011, 01:16:11 pm »

Following the instructions of the Quick-start guide on the wiki, I made stairways going down 7 levels. Figuring in advance that I would mine out a small space around them, I did this for them. But Doing this over wrote the stairways designation, and I un-paused it. On 2 levels, where they had made half of the stairs, they now mined out the rest. Now I can't build any stairs in those spaces, and all of my miners are trapped down there for some reason. How can I make stairs for them?

If I'm reading you correctly, the problem is that you dug out the stone where you were doing to dig out stairways.  If so, b->c->u will allow any dwarf with masonry as an active labor and access to both the location and a given stone to build a upward staircase (same menu can be used for up/down staircases as well).

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12977 on: July 03, 2011, 01:46:52 pm »

I can't engrave slabs. None of my dwarves do it. Please help.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12978 on: July 03, 2011, 01:55:23 pm »

Do you have a dwarf with stonecrafting labour enabled? I believe they are the ones who do all the slab work.

edit: Wiki tells me I was wrong. You can read about slabs there, then tell us if you still can't make it work.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:57:52 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12979 on: July 03, 2011, 02:05:03 pm »

Yeah I had the task enabled and the job scheduled... at th one workshop I had reserved for a single dwarf. Fixed it now.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12980 on: July 03, 2011, 03:09:29 pm »

Is there any way to encourage the elves to bring me specific animals? They brought me a giant tiger and I'd really like to complete the breeding pair. Also, can I reduce the amount of cloth they bring?

Still unresolved

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12981 on: July 03, 2011, 03:38:01 pm »

Is there any way to encourage the elves to bring me specific animals? They brought me a giant tiger and I'd really like to complete the breeding pair. Also, can I reduce the amount of cloth they bring?

Still unresolved

Save right before the merchants arrive (watch days of the year on your z-status-screen), once the merchants are onscreen, scroll through your u-menu units list and look for tame animals (caged) that the merchants have brought. If you don't like what they've brought, ctrl-alt-del and restart from the saved game. Same trick works with picking artifacts (usually).

Keep in mind that exotic animals won't currently breed due to a bug, so you'll have to also edit your savegame raws to make giant tigers a [pet] instead of a [pet_exotic].

Miner49

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12982 on: July 03, 2011, 05:29:25 pm »

If I'm reading you correctly, the problem is that you dug out the stone where you were doing to dig out stairways.  If so, b->c->u will allow any dwarf with masonry as an active labor and access to both the location and a given stone to build a upward staircase (same menu can be used for up/down staircases as well).

To start with, that places a chair. I assume you meant d for designations, not b for building. Now, as I said, I can't build any stairs in those spaces. None. I tried placing up-down, up and down stairs there, and it just won't let me.

Edit: It's not a lowercase c there, but an uppercase. Thanks!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12983 on: July 03, 2011, 11:45:05 pm »

You have to *build* the stair. You can only designate a stair if there's solid rock present.

Try b->C->u (capital C), if my memory serves me right that's the build upstairs command.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12984 on: July 03, 2011, 11:48:10 pm »

do you need to give a dwarf some kind of item to make them carry drinks and food with them ??

I NEVER see my army squad eat or drink when they are being station EVER

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12985 on: July 04, 2011, 12:02:35 am »

I think they can't carry around whole barrels, so they may need waterskins. Don't know about meals.

EDIT: Some of my own questions:

What does the job item misplaced message mean?

I had an exceptional quality meal, a Plump Helmet roast IIRC, that was made of "well-minced plump helmet, minced plump helmet, minced plump helmet and minced plump helmet". While I consider my cook to be a genius for making that happen... should that happen?

Some of my dwarves have complained about the lack of well, although I should have booze readily available and I even do have a well that's designated as a water source an is being used by some dwarves. What gives?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 12:30:04 am by Kay12 »

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12986 on: July 04, 2011, 01:52:56 am »

Whats the best/most efficient use of platinum? Crafts for sale? Furniture? ect.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12987 on: July 04, 2011, 02:22:17 am »

What does the job item misplaced message mean?
Normally you see this when dwarfs start to move items in the bin, and the none of them moves bin to stockpile where it belongs. While hauled, others can't use it, so "item misplaced"
I had an exceptional quality meal, a Plump Helmet roast IIRC, that was made of "well-minced plump helmet, minced plump helmet, minced plump helmet and minced plump helmet". While I consider my cook to be a genius for making that happen... should that happen?
Perfectly normal, except lack a bit imagination. They need 4 items to make a meal and if plump helmets are closest/only/most liked by cook, they might just use only those.
Some of my dwarves have complained about the lack of well, although I should have booze readily available and I even do have a well that's designated as a water source an is being used by some dwarves. What gives?
Well is water source, and water is used to cleaning self and give drink jobs.
Thirsty dwarfs that can't reach drinks (by being  wounded in hospital, sleeping, in prison) generates this job. If no other water source are available, they complain the lack of well.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12988 on: July 04, 2011, 02:26:45 am »

I find it funny, because this dwarf should've been able to reach the well. Every other dwarf is using it. Oh *well*.

EDIT: One more thing... are trap avoiders immune to menacing spike traps activating at their feet?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:48:57 am by Kay12 »

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12989 on: July 04, 2011, 02:51:32 am »

do you need to give a dwarf some kind of item to make them carry drinks and food with them ??

I NEVER see my army squad eat or drink when they are being station EVER

They need a waterskin/flask for drinks and a backpack for food. If they've equipped it you can even find out what type of drink/food they're carrying through their inventory screen. You can change the amount of food/type of drink with m > u.
Pages: 1 ... 864 865 [866] 867 868 ... 1178