Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 862 863 [864] 865 866 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125270 times)

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12945 on: July 02, 2011, 01:05:49 pm »

Thank you both for your answers. I thought I already tried that (gave a kill order to my archers) but my archers didn't do anything. That's why I asked the question in the first place. I must've mixed up my squads or something, will try again.

Atm, I have a more serious problem, tho. There's some kind of infection spreading through my fort, which killed already a few pets. The infected dwarves (and pets) have fever, rotten feet, produce miasma, and activate traps. With the graphics set that i'm using (Phoebus in LNP) they blink with an orange cross. After they are treated in the hospital they seem fine for a while but some get ill again.

I have no idea how my dwarves got infected and what I should do about it (other than trying to keep my hospital stocked and the patients fed).
The last time I encountered an FB was a while ago, at least a year, possibly more.

I've had already a few tantrums, looks like I'm in for some FUN if I can't stop this infection...

Using move order works better on markdwarves for flying and swimming enemies, get them close enough that they can see them. If they don't automatically fires at them, you can issue kill order there and hope they're smart enough to recognize they can shoot it.

As for infection and such, make a lot of boots, draft your civilians into uniforms ( no need to put them on-duty ) with boots in them, check out anywhere there're blood or ichor and clean them up. You'll have problem with miners, woodcutters and hunters job. Can't do much for pets, other than putting them all in pastures and hoping things clears up. Other than all that, all you can do is wait and see what happen, that's the fun part :D

If it's been a while, then it's possibly a delayed effect syndromes, still good idea to double-check any messes around.
Wow, thanks a lot, that was fast. I'll immediately go and instill a shoe fetish in my dwarves.

Jazriel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12946 on: July 02, 2011, 02:23:19 pm »

First Post, blah blah. I have a few questions. Quite a few, but I don't remember most of them.

Traders and roads. If I build a road leading to the edge of my map, will they always spawn from there? Currently they Spawn 2 z-levels up and on the N side of my map, this is pretty far away from my entrance and I'm tired of Ambushes.

If I build a Trade Depot in a Cavern that is open to a side, will they spawn on that z-level?

Are Burrows buggy right now? I can make a Burrow and then tell all my Citizens to chill there, but then I cannot get my Citizens to go back to work without deleting the Burrow.

Are Turkeys buggy right now? My main save right now embarked with 2 Turkeys and two years later still no eggs or poults. I moved them and pastured them in a new place with new animals, and now I have chicks and poults. I really could've used to poults in my first two years. -_-

Why can't I dig up? :(

I don't think I'm playing this game the way other people do. I dig a little and then set up shop. I have 60ish dwarves but still have yet to strike metal. Do people dig like crazy or what? Every now and then I'll expand a little, just hit a few caverns. Had a forgotten beast show up and kill my legendary miner. :(

Is Cave Moss supposed to fly through the air, enter your fort, and then populate EVERY SINGLE UNDERGROUND TILE IN THE GAME? Just curious. Random caves on the highest z-levels of my map have cave moss there now. Pretty cool, my 0-tree map now has trees everywhere.

Water Sources. WTF. So I think I've figured it out. The 7/7 tile is "under pressure" and I should not dig a hole out  thinking the water is like Minecraft and will just come in a bit and give me easy access to water. Do I need to be on the z-level above, where there is "Open Space" above the water and designate my Water Source there? Do I have to designate a Water Source for my dwarves to use it?

Apparently I have a tame bat in a cage. Where/how/what do I do with this? I'd like to make it a pet for someone and have no idea how to at all. I don't know where it is or what is necessary to deal with it.

Why are caverns so messed up? I would think that a cavern is a cavern, not just a billion pillars in a small area with ramps everywhere letting you woodcutters getting ambushed at every single little spot. :(

How do you make dwarves increase their military skills? Do they increase their <weapon>dwarf proficiency when they're doing individual drills or when they're assigned to train? I saw a Dwarf with "Novice Military Tactics," what is that?

Are Bonecarvers and Bone Bolts bugged? The moment a Dwarf starts carving Bone Bolts it immediately goes to Max CLT and takes FOREVER.

I started a new world, it was pretty cool. Lots of ore everywhere (For the first time in like 10 worlds, I'll be able to start smithing in the first year) Problem is, no where to farm. I know that I embarked with 3 buckets but channeling out a 2xN area and making it a "Pit/Pond" did nothing. Is this bugged?

I'm reading BoatMurdered and I don't understand the supports. Have Cave In's changed since then? I don't want my strip mining operations to cave-in. :(

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12947 on: July 02, 2011, 02:36:30 pm »

Wow, that's a lot of questions.

Burrows are a semi-permanent restriction on where dwarves can go.  Not directly, though - it's a restriction on where they can get things or do things.  A dwarf that's assigned to a burrow cannot use a workshop or an item that's outside the burrow.  But if he's on break, or just idle, he can still wander anywhere on the entire map.

Once you breach a cavern that has any fungus in it, this creates invisible "spores" which travel to every spot on the map, through all barriers.  This causes cave moss/fungus and underground trees and shrubs to grow on any underground soil or muddy tile.  Very handy.

Caverns can be quite dangerous, so once you breach one (typically while you are digging for metal, or magma, or explicitly hoping to breach a cavern), you should consider sealing it back up, by constructing a wall or floor tile over the spot where you broke through.

To improve military skills, there are three methods: training, danger rooms, and live combat.  Training is done in a barracks (or at an archery range).  See one of the seventeen thousand different "how do I train my military" threads in the forum for details.  Danger rooms are fabulously effective -- so much so that some players consider them an exploit.  Live combat is faster than training, but also more dangerous.

Bone carving isn't buggy per se, but some animals are.  Yaks and water buffalo (as well as many other large animals) super-clutter any workshop with any of their body parts.  Even a single yak skull or yak skin or yak bone will super-clutter.  If you have a choice, try raising smaller animals (pigs, sheep, etc.).

Boatmurdered was played before DF had Z levels.  The game is quite dramatically different now in many ways.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

petebull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12948 on: July 02, 2011, 03:03:13 pm »

If level 0 has open space you have to construct up stairs there in order to dig down- oder up-/downstairs on level +1. you can also carve upstairs on level 0 if there is still rock/dirt left. I don't know how that would work with upwards ramps on level 0.

Still unclear? -> post again, but please describe what are you trying to do and what key sequences you use.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12949 on: July 02, 2011, 03:39:59 pm »

Traders and roads. If I build a road leading to the edge of my map, will they always spawn from there? Currently they Spawn 2 z-levels up and on the N side of my map, this is pretty far away from my entrance and I'm tired of Ambushes.

Not reliably.  When a caravan appears, the game checks to see if there is a 3 tile wide path from your trade depot to the map edge.  If there is, the caravan will appear on a randomly chosen path on the map edge that is connected to your trade depot by this 3 tile wide path.  If there is not, the caravan will appear on any randomly chosen point on the map edge.  You can influence where the caravan appears by enclosing a route between your trade depot and the map edge such that there is only one area connected to your depot by a 3 tile wide path.

Roads don't influence where the caravan appears, other than by keeping the area of the road free of trees.

Also, sometimes a civilization will only be able to reach certain parts of your map, and caravans from that civilization will only spawn on parts of the map that civilization can reach.  For example, if your map is bisected by a river, you might find that caravans will only appear on one side of the river.

If I build a Trade Depot in a Cavern that is open to a side, will they spawn on that z-level?

Caravans will never spawn in the caverns, although they will leave by the caravans if no surface route is available, and sometimes even if one is.

Are Burrows buggy right now? I can make a Burrow and then tell all my Citizens to chill there, but then I cannot get my Citizens to go back to work without deleting the Burrow.

How are you telling your citizens to go to the burrow?  If you're assigning the citizens to the burrow through the burrow menu, then you need to un-assign them with the same menu to remove them from the burrow.  If you're using a military alert to send all non-military to a burrow, you turn the alert off to release them.

Are Turkeys buggy right now? My main save right now embarked with 2 Turkeys and two years later still no eggs or poults. I moved them and pastured them in a new place with new animals, and now I have chicks and poults. I really could've used to poults in my first two years. -_-

To have turkeys reproduce, you need to make and build nest boxes.  The turkey hens will claim the nest boxes.   The turkey hen will then sit on the nest box until the eggs hatch.  If the turkey hen or the eggs leave the nest box, even for a moment, the eggs will never hatch.  If you have any food stockpiles that accept eggs, your dwarves will remove the eggs from the nest.  If you want them to hatch, you need to either manually forbid the eggs, disable storage of turkey eggs on your food stockpiles, or put the turkeys in a room and lock the door until the poults hatch.  Also, if you're cooking prepared meals, you'll want to disable cooking of turkey eggs.

I assume you mean to dig into a rock/soil layer above the one your miner is on?  He needs to be able to reach the upper layer, so you either need to dig a ramp on the lower layer or dig an up stair and then dig a down stair right above it.

I don't think I'm playing this game the way other people do. I dig a little and then set up shop. I have 60ish dwarves but still have yet to strike metal. Do people dig like crazy or what? Every now and then I'll expand a little, just hit a few caverns. Had a forgotten beast show up and kill my legendary miner. :(

Metal is incredibly, annoyingly rare in the current version.  I like to make absurdly large and elaborate megaprojects out of stone blocks.

Is Cave Moss supposed to fly through the air, enter your fort, and then populate EVERY SINGLE UNDERGROUND TILE IN THE GAME? Just curious. Random caves on the highest z-levels of my map have cave moss there now. Pretty cool, my 0-tree map now has trees everywhere.

Underground plant reproduction is by magic flying spores.  The moment you open the caverns, every tile in the map is infected.

Water Sources. WTF. So I think I've figured it out. The 7/7 tile is "under pressure" and I should not dig a hole out  thinking the water is like Minecraft and will just come in a bit and give me easy access to water. Do I need to be on the z-level above, where there is "Open Space" above the water and designate my Water Source there? Do I have to designate a Water Source for my dwarves to use it?

If you want to designate a water source, you make it on the ground above the water, next to the water source.  You don't need to designate a water source, but it is useful if you want to control where your dwarves are getting water from.  Better yet, make a well.

Apparently I have a tame bat in a cage. Where/how/what do I do with this? I'd like to make it a pet for someone and have no idea how to at all. I don't know where it is or what is necessary to deal with it.

You probably bought a cage from a caravan, not realizing it had a tame bat in it.  You should be able to find it in the animals screen and make it available for adoption.  I don't recommend this, flying pets once adopted have a way of getting free and then forcing the owner to spend a lot of time trying to catch it.  You can also build the cage somewhere public so everyone can admire the bat in a cage as they walk past.

Why are caverns so messed up? I would think that a cavern is a cavern, not just a billion pillars in a small area with ramps everywhere letting you woodcutters getting ambushed at every single little spot. :(

That's just the way caverns are at the moment:  a twisty mass of little tunnels and pillars.

Are Bonecarvers and Bone Bolts bugged? The moment a Dwarf starts carving Bone Bolts it immediately goes to Max CLT and takes FOREVER.

Known bug:  bones, hair, and other animal parts instantly fill up the workshop to max clutter.  No workaround at the moment.

I started a new world, it was pretty cool. Lots of ore everywhere (For the first time in like 10 worlds, I'll be able to start smithing in the first year) Problem is, no where to farm. I know that I embarked with 3 buckets but channeling out a 2xN area and making it a "Pit/Pond" did nothing. Is this bugged?

You should be able to place a mine on any patch of soil.  Are you trying to muddy stone?  I usually just pump or channel water where I need it to go when I need to make mud for a farm.

I'm reading BoatMurdered and I don't understand the supports. Have Cave In's changed since then? I don't want my strip mining operations to cave-in. :(

Boatmurdered was in a very, very old version of Dwarf Fortress.  The game has changed vastly since then.  Cave-in mechanics are completely different now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12950 on: July 02, 2011, 04:54:34 pm »

what exactly is the Tsk tag?  I thought it stood for "task" but the items in the butcher shop tagged with it arent being used by anyone in any job.  I butchered a cow to get bones for my possesed armor smith, but he refuses to come get em.  their tagged with "tsk".  i tried to remove the tag but to no avail.  help?  id rather not lose my legendary armor smith to a failed attempt of what will likely result in a cow bone trumpet menacing with spikes of silk and leather....
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12951 on: July 02, 2011, 05:04:08 pm »

what exactly is the Tsk tag?  I thought it stood for "task" but the items in the butcher shop tagged with it arent being used by anyone in any job.  I butchered a cow to get bones for my possesed armor smith, but he refuses to come get em.  their tagged with "tsk".  i tried to remove the tag but to no avail.  help?  id rather not lose my legendary armor smith to a failed attempt of what will likely result in a cow bone trumpet menacing with spikes of silk and leather....
You were right the first time, TSK = "tasked".  The bones are probably slated to be brought to a refuse stockpile.  You can either wait for that to happen, or forbid/unforbid them to cancel the task, which should in turn allow the armorsmith to grab them.  If he isn't, and especially if he doesn't after they're brought to a stockpile, it's likely there's some other item he wants to get first--moody dwarves will only claim items in a specific, unskippable order.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12952 on: July 02, 2011, 06:34:44 pm »

Known bug:  bones, hair, and other animal parts instantly fill up the workshop to max clutter.  No workaround at the moment.
More precisely, a single part fills up a workshop as much as the whole animal corpse would. A reindeer won't clutter the workshop and a dog will always provide a couple of bones even when newborn. Between those two are goats, sheep, pigs, and alpaca. Llamas might or might not clutter a workshop, and donkeys probably will.

Reindeer are probably the best bet. A water buffalo provides 20 units of bone and will clutter the workshop to max right down to the last bone, and a reindeer providing 14 units of bone (it does go down to 10) won't clutter the workshop even with the full stack. Reindeer are also pretty light grazers for what they give.

Edited to add: Tigers are size 225,000 and will clutter a workshop from dark grey (2x) to bright red (7x). I'm pretty sure all the tigers slaughtered were full-grown.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:44:30 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12953 on: July 02, 2011, 07:46:26 pm »

Idk what it is with this guy....so after staring at the pile of bones for 3 days straight my armorer finally decided to come get them.  he didnt grab anything else first...he grabbed the bones...after waiting...for 3 days...w/e >.>

he now has 2 piles of bones total (i butched another 3 animals) and a bar of iron.  he still wants rough color (i have so many uncut gems i was considering using them as catapult ammo), more bones (i just butchered YET ANOTHE horse and the bones are sitting in the shop) leather hides (According to my stockpile i have 7 leather hides and more metal (i have bars up the ass...its not even funny how many i have...)

however once again he refuses to collect materials and i think his internal clock is starting to tick down.  I'd rather not lose my legendary armor smith.... thoughts?

thanks in advance
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12954 on: July 02, 2011, 07:50:35 pm »

rough color might be raw green glass.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12955 on: July 02, 2011, 07:51:27 pm »

He grabbed the iron after grabbing the bones?  If so, he might want another bar of metal before he'll move on to the rough gems.  If he grabbed the iron then stalled after grabbing the bones, he might need more bones, and may be waiting for the bones from the horse to be moved to a stockpile before he'll grab them.

rough color might be raw green glass.

No.  Raw green glass is specified as glass, not rough color.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12956 on: July 02, 2011, 07:52:26 pm »

Looks like I might have been wrong about the amount of space that body parts take up. The teeth and skulls of the slaughtered tigers cluttered the workshop from 2x to 7x, but the bones appear very slightly smaller. Results, in order:

18 bones, 7x clutter
18 bones, 7x clutter
18 bones, 6x clutter
18 bones, 6x clutter
18 bones, 5x clutter
18 bones, 5x clutter
18 bones, 4x clutter, 5x after one set of bolts
18 bones, 3x clutter
18 bones, 2x clutter, 3x after one set of bolts
18 bones, 2x clutter
18 bones, 2x clutter
18 bones, 2x clutter
16 bones, 2x clutter
16 bones, no clutter, 2x after one set of bolts

But perhaps I made a mistake somewhere regarding the tiger that produced that last set of bolts.
Some extra data: those bones took 2 months to process by two L+5 bonecrafters, one very agile and one extremely agile, and with a stockpile within four tiles of the workshop. The experiment was then ended by a mooding dwarf, who kicked out poor Degel and commandeered 49 tiger bones. Oh, Dwarf Fortress.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12957 on: July 02, 2011, 07:56:18 pm »

He grabbed the iron after grabbing the bones?  If so, he might want another bar of metal before he'll move on to the rough gems.  If he grabbed the iron then stalled after grabbing the bones, he might need more bones, and may be waiting for the bones from the horse to be moved to a stockpile before he'll grab them.

also not an option...i have so many bars its not even funny... (ive had 6 furnaces going day and night for the past 2 years....i doubt ill ever be able to actually use all these bars XD)

as for the iron bar...it was aleardy at the forge when he claimed the forge so he insta-claimed it when he took the shop.  theres plenty of other bars already there too so thats clearly not the issue :S

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12958 on: July 03, 2011, 01:57:36 am »

Are Turkeys buggy right now? My main save right now embarked with 2 Turkeys and two years later still no eggs or poults.

Need "nest box" items (mason can make) for egg-laying and egg-hatching to happen.

Dig up with "d-i" the up/down staircase command. paint a 100 tiles tall column by holding leftmousebutton and "<" level-up.

Not all map squares have metal. Try worldgen setting [MINERAL_SCARCITY:610]. I tend to see most of the metal ores ABOVE the first cavern layer. The bottom and magma sea are around level -40 to -110. (interface's upper right corner shows levels relative to surface)

Cave grasses, they spread on airborne spores, or on the little feet of mice and vermin. In Bat and Cave Swallow droppings.

Caverns looking awful: that is a worldgen setting, what you're seeing is a very annoying "high passage density" spaghetti.
Try in init/world_gen.txt
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:73]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:73]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:4]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:4]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:16]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:70]

Unrelated, but good for new users:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 02:12:24 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12959 on: July 03, 2011, 02:29:25 am »

Does water activate pressure plates?
If yes, at what depth?
Pages: 1 ... 862 863 [864] 865 866 ... 1178