Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125200 times)

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12915 on: July 01, 2011, 07:49:30 pm »

I'm trying to find a good volcano embark site on the worlds I'm generating. Is there a quicker way than combing the entire world map to find volcanoes from the embark screen?

Edit: And also, are there any volcanoes that aren't part of mountain ranges or on small islands?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12916 on: July 01, 2011, 08:17:09 pm »

Easiest way to do both is to generate a world with tons of volcanoes.  My favorite way to do that is PerfectWorld, since that makes it easy to create otherwise flat areas with high volcanism, but you can raise the volcanism in the regular Advanced Map Parameters screen to the extent that volcanoes can come up pretty much anywhere (be careful, though, volcanism at least used to affect the type of stone layer available, and igneous layers are generally very metal-poor. 

At any rate, the key is to set the Minimum Volcano number to something gratuitously high, at least 500.  DF won't let you go above 200 from within the program, but you can do it by editing worldgen.txt externally via PerfectWorld or a text editor.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12917 on: July 02, 2011, 12:22:33 am »

Are there any special benefit when a dwarf start naming their weapon ??

Prats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12918 on: July 02, 2011, 12:57:23 am »

Hi! Can armor wear out?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12919 on: July 02, 2011, 01:21:11 am »

Hi! Can armor wear out?

Nope, clothings can wear out, though. If you see something with x or X on either side of it, it's wearing out.

i874236951

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12920 on: July 02, 2011, 02:30:21 am »

It shows up on your artifacts screen!  Otherwise, naw.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12921 on: July 02, 2011, 05:54:41 am »

I thought that it becomes an artifact, i.e. gets the artifact modifier?

Another question: How do I kill water creatures? I've got a few pond grabbers that really annoy me. Do I need dwarves that can swim?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12922 on: July 02, 2011, 06:20:45 am »

I thought that it becomes an artifact, i.e. gets the artifact modifier?

Another question: How do I kill water creatures? I've got a few pond grabbers that really annoy me. Do I need dwarves that can swim?

I don't think it get the modifier. As for the water critters, have markdwarves shoot them until they bleed out.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12923 on: July 02, 2011, 06:21:10 am »

Ah pond grabbers those annoying buggers. I usually have marksdwarves deal with them, they won't be able to fight back to since they won't leave the water.

deodand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12924 on: July 02, 2011, 07:09:27 am »

One of my dwarf children created an artifact, a wooden statue of some kind. As near as I can tell, the statue is just left in the workshop. Can I move it somewhere where others can admire it somehow?

Also the creator's sister was taken by a goblin snatcher. The guards did nothing but run around like fools, the snatcher waltzed right in. I don't want this legendary girl also stolen, how do I keep these weirdos out and the children safe?

???

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12925 on: July 02, 2011, 07:13:51 am »

One of my dwarf children created an artifact, a wooden statue of some kind. As near as I can tell, the statue is just left in the workshop. Can I move it somewhere where others can admire it somehow?

Also the creator's sister was taken by a goblin snatcher. The guards did nothing but run around like fools, the snatcher waltzed right in. I don't want this legendary girl also stolen, how do I keep these weirdos out and the children safe?

???

Line your entry hall to your fort with cage traps (b-T-c). You need mechanisms from the mechanic and cages from the carpenter or metalsmith. Cage traps automatically capture most hostile or wild creatures that walk over them.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12926 on: July 02, 2011, 07:40:17 am »

afaik ambushing thieves will avoid traps so they'd still get in, but when they leg it after being detected the cage traps should work.

You could always chain a guard animal at your fortress entrance to detect thieves before they manage to get in your fort and cause havoc.
You could even go as far as to building fortificiations around the animal to keep it safe as it keeps watch.

deodand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12927 on: July 02, 2011, 07:46:11 am »

Thanks for the quick replies. Yeah I haven't really got metal working yet, we pretty much dig stone and make things out of stone. I can build wooden animal traps but I guess that's not the same thing. What about the Artifact? I can't find anything on the Wiki about what to do with it.

petebull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12928 on: July 02, 2011, 07:53:06 am »

What about the Artifact? I can't find anything on the Wiki about what to do with it.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Statues

"b"uild a "s"tatue and possibly create a sculpture garden from that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12929 on: July 02, 2011, 07:56:47 am »

Goblin Master Thieves avoids traps, I think, but common thieves/snatchers does not (unlike Kobold thieves). You can also use ropes for chaining/leashing animals. Artefacts will be carried to a suitable stockpile (in this case a "Finished Goods" one, I would guess). Whether or not an Artefact can be used depends on what kind it is, if you can use/build that kind of item (Tables, chests, weapons and armour, for example), then you can use the Artefacts. Craft Artefacts have no (Fortress Mode) use at all, except giving your Fortress a good boost to the "Produced Goods" value. Adventurers can equip a jewellery and such, though.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 1178