Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125124 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12900 on: July 01, 2011, 03:43:21 am »

Mugs. Get a legendary +5 stonecrafter and spam those things like there's no tomorrow. Mine were generally worth 40 to 50 dwarf bucks from what I saw and some were 120 dwarf bucks. Plus, 3 are made per rock so you get a lot of trade value and they don't weigh much.

Trading mugs is a complete and utter pain compared to crafts though.  You get the same number of objects from crafts after your dwarves have been making them a little while.  I suppose you can just atomsmash them, but if you're going to do that, just atomsmash the rocks.

I've not seen any nobles or mayors ban exports of mugs/cups/goblets myself, but other trade goods pretty often. Mugs and crafts are equally painful, since they both makes 3 items after being worked on ( the craft for experienced crafter, less for fumbling ones ). To the original question, mass-produce cloth items, like ropes or bags, and export them, along with stone crafts/mugs. The cloth stuffs adds up pretty quickly :D

If you store crafts in finished goods bins, then use search and search for "finish" and select a subsearch for "crafts" you will only get crafts.  No way to do this with mugs as far as I'm aware.  You can be highly organized in your layout of stockpiles though, and it helps, but it's something of a pain to set up for newer players until you've done it a few times.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12901 on: July 01, 2011, 08:27:57 am »

what is this Graphical FPS and how does this affect my gameplay ??

I have got my temperature and weather all turn off and I am trying to find a way to even reduce the lag.

was wondering if reducing the graphical FPS will help or will it crash my game or anything

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12902 on: July 01, 2011, 09:04:16 am »

GFPS is how fast the game refreshes the screen itself. Turning it down means less work outputting what's on the screen, but can lead to choppy movement. It can easily be cut in half to start with.

If the well is already built and it says this it means that there is probably too much water in the well.
I get full buckets sometimes with a well that's in use and fed like so:

Code: [Select]
____w_
777/77
####77
######

The water is depressured just before hitting the cistern, so it can't flood. I wonder if it's caused by dwarves taking the Give Water job and realising it's no longer necessary as soon as they fill the bucket?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12903 on: July 01, 2011, 09:17:20 am »

I just saw a little guy drag a piece of adamantine thread to the hospital. Is there some way to stop them from using it for medical procedures?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12904 on: July 01, 2011, 10:13:59 am »

I'm afraid not, afaik

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12905 on: July 01, 2011, 10:16:13 am »

I just saw a little guy drag a piece of adamantine thread to the hospital. Is there some way to stop them from using it for medical procedures?

Not directly. You can seal them in a room so the thread never get out unless it's already been processed to what you want it to be. Drop in food and drinks, as well as the raw material, and it'll do the job  :D

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12906 on: July 01, 2011, 02:52:40 pm »

what is this Graphical FPS and how does this affect my gameplay ??
was wondering if reducing the graphical FPS will help or will it crash my game or anything
It's visual redraws per second, but it also affects how the game reacts to keypresses. It's different from DF's FPS, "time ticks per second".
If GFPS is 1-20, might have to hold keys down for them to register. I like to keep my GFPS between 25 and 40.
Won't get much speedup from lowering GFPS or having small window. Just stick to 2x2 embarks if fps is low.

Also see http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Nunzillor

« Reply #12907 on: July 01, 2011, 03:12:01 pm »

I noticed there are artifacts on the artifacts screen that my dwarves did not create.  They are a different color, and are all made of the type of wood found in the underground caverns.  I have never seen any <insert animal here>men, and nothing telling is listed on the civilization screen.  I didn't even know those guys could create artifacts...  What's the deal?

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12908 on: July 01, 2011, 03:17:10 pm »

I set up a garbage zone and set a bunch of junk to be dumped. I have like 4 dwarves of my starting 7 who have no jobs atm. Why aren't they moving the items?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12909 on: July 01, 2011, 03:23:35 pm »

Do they have the necesary hauling labors enabled?

I need my meals to be classified under meat.
How do I ensure prepared meals I make are considered meat? Is it a majority of meat ingredients, all engredients or a single one or some such?
Or is it not possible outright and the only way to not bother with cooking?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:26:39 pm by Jelle »

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12910 on: July 01, 2011, 03:25:59 pm »

As far as I know they have all the hauling labors enabled. I haven't messed with those four dwarves's labors yet.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12911 on: July 01, 2011, 03:28:03 pm »

Only thing I can think of is they don't have acces to the goods to be hauled then. Or they have no hands but that seems unlikely.  :P

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12912 on: July 01, 2011, 03:28:11 pm »

I noticed there are artifacts on the artifacts screen that my dwarves did not create.  They are a different color, and are all made of the type of wood found in the underground caverns.  I have never seen any <insert animal here>men, and nothing telling is listed on the civilization screen.  I didn't even know those guys could create artifacts...  What's the deal?

You have an unnamed animalman civilization living in the caverns under your fortress.  One or more of them must have somehow killed multiple named opponents, and then named the weapons involved.  I've never seen this happen, but under the right circumstances it makes sense.

I set up a garbage zone and set a bunch of junk to be dumped. I have like 4 dwarves of my starting 7 who have no jobs atm. Why aren't they moving the items?

Is the junk on the surface?  You need to enable collection of refuse from outside.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12913 on: July 01, 2011, 03:35:41 pm »

That was it. Strangely enough on my last fort I never needed to. They dumped it from the surface anyway.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12914 on: July 01, 2011, 06:54:24 pm »

Do they have the necesary hauling labors enabled?

I need my meals to be classified under meat.
How do I ensure prepared meals I make are considered meat? Is it a majority of meat ingredients, all engredients or a single one or some such?
Or is it not possible outright and the only way to not bother with cooking?
For purposes of stockpiles, prepared meals are invariably classified as "prepared meals," not as meat or plants.  If you're trying to feed modded carnivorous creatures, I'd assume it's the same but can't be sure.
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 1178