Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125097 times)

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12885 on: June 30, 2011, 10:13:59 pm »

Isn't your expedition leader supposed to become a mayor once you have 50+ population?

Still unanswered.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mayor

short answer, yes.

I actually thought that it isn't automatic, but takes a visit from the liaison from your dwarvern civ?

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: June 30, 2011, 10:34:56 pm »

Isn't your expedition leader supposed to become a mayor once you have 50+ population?

Still unanswered.

short answer, yes.

I actually thought that it isn't automatic, but takes a visit from the liaison from your dwarvern civ?

It must because it didn't happen after a few seasons. I can't say how long because the stupid save was corrupted and I didn't do the one thing so I can't get the seed.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12887 on: June 30, 2011, 11:00:13 pm »

Question about saves...

How do you guys set up your saves?  I have mine set to autosave seasonally (set from LazyNewb menu, if that makes a difference), but when I save and exit then try to choose my save again, I get some really weird filenames.  Like (fortress-name) 261-spr-aut and then the right column says year 262.  Is it taking the previous filename and tacking something else on?

I tried to thin out the dozen or so folders and managed to delete the most recent ones, losing myself 4 years of fun and hijinks.  I'll also admit to savescumming a few times when I flood the fortress or forget that one wall section that lets the siege through.

Any suggestions how to make things easier?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12888 on: June 30, 2011, 11:00:29 pm »

Are there any utilities that allow you to see what will be in an embark before you go there?
DFHack, which is included in LazyNewbPack[0.31.25][V9.1]
has dfprospector.exe which shows a very handy list of stones and ores present, and their amounts. It's damn embarrassing when there's 4000 tiles of supposedly-super-rare on the map and 1000 of iron.

(uses dfreveal.exe for the very first time, and immediately starts tuning cluster and vein frequencies)

How do you guys set up your saves?  I have mine set to autosave seasonally (set from LazyNewb menu, if that makes a difference), but when I save and exit then try to choose my save again, I get some really weird filenames.  Like (fortress-name) 261-spr-aut and then the right column says year 262.  Is it taking the previous filename and tacking something else on?
Never load the backup saves which have the year and season in filename. Just load the "region1" named, and regularly delete the backup saves. When an autosave comes, it saves state to both region1 and region1-year-season.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:13:52 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12889 on: June 30, 2011, 11:08:14 pm »

Are there any utilities that allow you to see what will be in an embark before you go there?
DFHack, which is included in LazyNewbPack[0.31.25][V9.1]
has dfprospector.exe which shows a very handy list of stones and ores present, and their amounts. It's damn embarrassing when there's 4000 tiles of supposedly-super-rare on the map and 1000 of iron.

Never load the backup saves which have the year and season in filename. Just load the "region1" named, and regularly delete the backup saves. When an autosave comes, it saves state to both region1 and region1-year-season.

After some looking at dfhack because I'd thought that you could do thsi with it, I decided to try that one but it didn't work. I decided to ask the question here and got the same answer that i arrived at. I have the LNP which is what I open it from. I get the message: "Can't init map." Am I doing something wrong or what?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: June 30, 2011, 11:17:40 pm »

After some looking at dfhack because I'd thought that you could do thsi with it, I decided to try that one but it didn't work. I decided to ask the question here and got the same answer that i arrived at. I have the LNP which is what I open it from. I get the message: "Can't init map." Am I doing something wrong or what?
You better ask that in the DFHack thread, I have no idea.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: July 01, 2011, 12:22:24 am »

what is the "correct way to make a "well" ??

I have build a lot of well in the past and this is the first time I get a "bucket full" msg.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: July 01, 2011, 01:05:57 am »

I have build a lot of well in the past and this is the first time I get a "bucket full" msg.
So, all your buckets are full of water or milk, and building a Well requires an empty bucket. Make more buckets, or command dump on water and milk in the stocks menu.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: July 01, 2011, 01:10:03 am »

If the well is already built and it says this it means that there is probably too much water in the well. I had this problem when I forgot to close a floodgate. It's a good thing I caught it early.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: July 01, 2011, 01:31:42 am »

Ok.  Just to summarise this pyramid

I think the first mayor may always be the expedition leader
Its often your expedition leader afterwards, the mayor is the dwarf with the best social skills.  This could be migrants, but you probably have your leader doing meetings which buffs his, maybe hes trader which also buffs him.  Sometimes you just get really sdocial migrants and its one of them.  In late forts its often crippled military with no labours.

You are eligible as soon as you hit 50 but its not instant.  II forget if it is the liaison thats trigger but I have in mind that it checks every 6 months or something so your milage may vary.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:34:48 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: July 01, 2011, 02:36:49 am »

So, all your buckets are full of water or milk, and building a Well requires an empty bucket. Make more buckets, or command dump on water and milk in the stocks menu.

I already make a crap load more buckets (even have 20+ in the stockpile), I also have put all the liquid in the stockpile to Dump (lots of water and blood) another thing is I drain my well till there is practically nothing in there BUT it still says bucket full.

what do I do after designating the liquid to be dump ? I have set both a garbage zone and a pit zone. Thw dwarf are all idle not doing anything.

I dont have a burrow on, I have put all the hauling on AND the cleaning as well.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: July 01, 2011, 02:43:19 am »

How does one goad the Dwarven nation into pronouncing you a barony? Do you just spam a whole bunch of trade stuffs, or what?

Also, what is the most valuable thing I can mass produce using the hundreds thousands hundreds of thousands of rocks lying around?

Mugs. Get a legendary +5 stonecrafter and spam those things like there's no tomorrow. Mine were generally worth 40 to 50 dwarf bucks from what I saw and some were 120 dwarf bucks. Plus, 3 are made per rock so you get a lot of trade value and they don't weigh much.

Trading mugs is a complete and utter pain compared to crafts though.  You get the same number of objects from crafts after your dwarves have been making them a little while.  I suppose you can just atomsmash them, but if you're going to do that, just atomsmash the rocks.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: July 01, 2011, 02:44:44 am »

Question about saves...

I tried to thin out the dozen or so folders and managed to delete the most recent ones, losing myself 4 years of fun and hijinks.  I'll also admit to savescumming a few times when I flood the fortress or forget that one wall section that lets the siege through.

Any suggestions how to make things easier?

Put suggestions in the suggestions part of the forums now and then asking for more transparent save game architecture.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: July 01, 2011, 02:50:44 am »

I already make a crap load more buckets (even have 20+ in the stockpile), I also have put all the liquid in the stockpile to Dump (lots of water and blood) another thing is I drain my well till there is practically nothing in there BUT it still says bucket full.

what do I do after designating the liquid to be dump ? I have set both a garbage zone and a pit zone. Thw dwarf are all idle not doing anything.

I dont have a burrow on, I have put all the hauling on AND the cleaning as well.

Make the well a "water source" zone and then make a pit/pond nearby.  Start a bucket brigade and see if they pull water from the well tile and move it to the pit.  After the dwarves have moved a bit of water, check it again.

I'm not sure if it's possible to get stagnant water in a well bucket.  You might try disassembling the wall and reassembling it.

Also make sure you don't have a grate above the water source below the well.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: July 01, 2011, 03:11:01 am »

Mugs. Get a legendary +5 stonecrafter and spam those things like there's no tomorrow. Mine were generally worth 40 to 50 dwarf bucks from what I saw and some were 120 dwarf bucks. Plus, 3 are made per rock so you get a lot of trade value and they don't weigh much.

Trading mugs is a complete and utter pain compared to crafts though.  You get the same number of objects from crafts after your dwarves have been making them a little while.  I suppose you can just atomsmash them, but if you're going to do that, just atomsmash the rocks.

I've not seen any nobles or mayors ban exports of mugs/cups/goblets myself, but other trade goods pretty often. Mugs and crafts are equally painful, since they both makes 3 items after being worked on ( the craft for experienced crafter, less for fumbling ones ). To the original question, mass-produce cloth items, like ropes or bags, and export them, along with stone crafts/mugs. The cloth stuffs adds up pretty quickly :D
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1178