Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 857 858 [859] 860 861 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125104 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12870 on: June 30, 2011, 07:37:30 pm »

Isn't your expedition leader supposed to become a mayor once you have 50+ population?

Still unanswered.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12871 on: June 30, 2011, 07:43:23 pm »

Isn't your expedition leader supposed to become a mayor once you have 50+ population?

Still unanswered.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mayor

short answer, yes.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12872 on: June 30, 2011, 07:49:58 pm »

Haven't found this answered yet.

Is there any way to encourage or enable a siege?  I've made my fortress a Maginot Line inside of a volcano, and I'm eager to kill things other than kobolds.  I get antsy without being able to use War Bear Company.
Make lots of valuable things, sell lots of valuable things. That's pretty much what ypu can do on-site, as far as I know.

You have to have a certain number of citizens for them to siege as well - 50, iirc. 20 for ambushes. Have you been waiting long? Have you had any encounters with ambushes/kid-snatchers?

Still unanswered.
I'm pretty certain thats's right, yeah. I'm not sure it happens directly, though. Might have to give it some time.
Love, scriver~

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12873 on: June 30, 2011, 07:56:31 pm »

I just got a message when i went to load saying:

Error

One of the compressed files on disk has errors in it. Restore from backup if you are able.

I use the LNP and it's a vanilla version of DF 31.25
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12874 on: June 30, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »

Your save got corrupted.  Something went pear shaped last time the game saved and it broke.  Sorry but yer SOL unless you have a backup save.

Never happened to me, but I don't compress saves.  Turning off compressed saves in the init file should reduce the chance of that happening, but it also makes your save files take up more hard drive space.  (it varies but my current saves both take up 170 MB uncompressed, or 1/5th of a GB)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12875 on: June 30, 2011, 08:04:26 pm »

Your save got corrupted.  Something went pear shaped last time the game saved and it broke.  Sorry but yer SOL unless you have a backup save.

Never happened to me, but I don't compress saves.  Turning off compressed saves in the init file should reduce the chance of that happening, but it also makes your save files take up more hard drive space.  (it varies but my current saves both take up 170 MB uncompressed, or 1/5th of a GB)

Can I restart on the same world somehow? Or will I need to do a new map entirely? I know that I can't just re-embark but I like that map a lot and wouldn't mind restarting.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:07:42 pm by rutsber »

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12876 on: June 30, 2011, 08:24:55 pm »

How does one goad the Dwarven nation into pronouncing you a barony? Do you just spam a whole bunch of trade stuffs, or what?

Also, what is the most valuable thing I can mass produce using the hundreds thousands hundreds of thousands of rocks lying around?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12877 on: June 30, 2011, 08:27:15 pm »

How does one goad the Dwarven nation into pronouncing you a barony? Do you just spam a whole bunch of trade stuffs, or what?

Also, what is the most valuable thing I can mass produce using the hundreds thousands hundreds of thousands of rocks lying around?

Mugs. Get a legendary +5 stonecrafter and spam those things like there's no tomorrow. Mine were generally worth 40 to 50 dwarf bucks from what I saw and some were 120 dwarf bucks. Plus, 3 are made per rock so you get a lot of trade value and they don't weigh much.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12878 on: June 30, 2011, 08:34:41 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Baron

there are the "hard" numbers for you.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12879 on: June 30, 2011, 08:39:27 pm »

Created and exported wealth...

What?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12880 on: June 30, 2011, 08:41:03 pm »

Can I restart on the same world somehow? Or will I need to do a new map entirely? I know that I can't just re-embark but I like that map a lot and wouldn't mind restarting.

Did you do a map parameters export any time when worldgen finished or in legends mode?  If so there should be a text file someplace in the root DF folder (where Dwarf Fortress.exe is) that has the seed for the world. 

I'm not sure of the exact name of the file off the top of my head, I think it would be something along the lines of "Region# world gen param".

If you find it, this is where things get a little complicated.

Open the file and highlight everything from the line starting with "[TITLE:"  down to the end of the file, then hit ctrl+v.

Go to data>init and open the file world_gen.txt.

Click at the bottom of the file and hit ctrl+c.  It will copy all of the information you had highlighted into that file. 

Change the TITLE line of the last entry(the one you just copied into the file) to something unique, but keep it all caps.  like [TITLE:MY WORLD] for example.

save the text file.

Run Dwarf Fortress and enter design new world with advanced parameters.

Hit Esc for the disclaimer

On the right side of the screen there will be a scrollable list.  Look for an entry with the name you just gave your world. "MY WORLD" in my example and hit enter.

It should now regen your world exactly as it genned the first time.  Congrats, you have your world back.

EDIT: Edited for context.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:45:01 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12881 on: June 30, 2011, 09:00:20 pm »

What?
Created wealth is the sum total of the value of everything remaining in your fort that was locally produced, including walls and workshops. Exported wealth is the sum total of the value of everything locally produced that was shipped off in a caravan, often to a specific civ.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12882 on: June 30, 2011, 09:51:13 pm »

Are there any utilities that allow you to see what will be in an embark before you go there?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12883 on: June 30, 2011, 09:54:32 pm »

What?
Created wealth is the sum total of the value of everything remaining in your fort that was locally produced, including walls and workshops. Exported wealth is the sum total of the value of everything locally produced that was shipped off in a caravan, often to a specific civ.

keep in mind you'll need a bookkeeper with enough skill to see these numbers in the [z] stocks menu.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12884 on: June 30, 2011, 10:11:42 pm »

We are, but I am not, Anonymous.
We fight, because our rights are dying.
We stand for those who can't.
We know of the Government's corruption.
We survive for our dream to live.
We are together.
We declare war on a Broken System.
We are the Soldier's of an Oppressed Majority.
We have an Idea. Join us.
We have a Mission. Join us.
We have a Plan. Join us.
We are Anonymous. We are Legion.
www.whatis-theplan(dot)org

Your life can have value.

Trollololol
Pages: 1 ... 857 858 [859] 860 861 ... 1178