Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125029 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12855 on: June 30, 2011, 10:10:28 am »

Will goblins ever use my bridge? My embark site is divided in half by a river that has one bridge across it. I'm under a siege that I can easily handle right now, but I'd really prefer they come to me. Do I have to lure them, or is just a matter of time?

Goblins will use the bridge, yes. Are they not crossing? Sometimes I think they wise up if you've trapped your fort entrance and won't tend to come charging at it so much.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12856 on: June 30, 2011, 11:00:28 am »

may I ask how come some well have the word "bucket full" on them ??

usually I build them no problem but this time, the word bucket full keep appearing and my dwarf refuse to use thise well.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12857 on: June 30, 2011, 11:41:35 am »

It means that the water level is too high.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

deodand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12858 on: June 30, 2011, 11:54:29 am »

A horse foal died, it was not a pet, there is a butchery and a corpse stockpile but nobody does anything at the Butcher shop with orders set. If I set it to dump they drag it down to the dump by my river and ignore it.

The Wiki does not explain domestic animals that die of natural causes. Why won't they butcher the animal?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12859 on: June 30, 2011, 12:01:55 pm »

Tame animals that die from any cause other than being deliberately slaughtered by a dwarf at a butcher's shop cannot be butchered, period.  It doesn't matter if it was a pet or not, just that it was tame.  Tame creatures which are also pets can't be designated for slaughter, so they can't be butchered at all.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12860 on: June 30, 2011, 12:03:09 pm »

Will goblins ever use my bridge? My embark site is divided in half by a river that has one bridge across it. I'm under a siege that I can easily handle right now, but I'd really prefer they come to me. Do I have to lure them, or is just a matter of time?

Goblins will use the bridge, yes. Are they not crossing? Sometimes I think they wise up if you've trapped your fort entrance and won't tend to come charging at it so much.

That must be it, my entrance hall has 20 odd cage traps in it. I just pen useless animals in the middle of the hallway to lure them every 10 traps or so (gotta do something with those kittens).

deodand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12861 on: June 30, 2011, 12:03:57 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply! They eat mushrooms and worse all day long, I was hoping to at least get the bones. Ah well. :)

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12862 on: June 30, 2011, 12:41:19 pm »

Is there a rough conversion between an animal's grazing number and the amount of tiles of pasture it needs to survive?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12863 on: June 30, 2011, 12:43:58 pm »

Is there a rough conversion between an animal's grazing number and the amount of tiles of pasture it needs to survive?

Appears to be one here:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87919.msg2400758#msg2400758
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12864 on: June 30, 2011, 03:21:16 pm »

So, I trained up a squad of archers and lined the entrance to my fort with fortifications, with the barracks of my archer squad on the inside (obviously). How do I get them to actually shoot at enemies?
I've had a few sieges and it seems that they'll only start shooting after a member of the fort is attacked. That kind of defeats the purpose. I've tried giving a kill order but that results in "cannot follow order."
Is there something else that I could do? 

Completely unrelated: Will armor/clothing/other stuff that is worn/owned by someone show up on the stocks screen?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12865 on: June 30, 2011, 04:36:50 pm »

Weird, I've never had problems with marksdwarves refusing to shoot. Infact they even shoot hostiles when off duty before legging it. Couldn't say what's causing the problem unless I saw the fortifications, but maybe someone else knows.

Also I asked about how exactly egg fertilization works some time ago, and since there didn't seem to be a definate answer I did some testing incase anyone else is interested, else just ignore the rest of the post. :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

reteip9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12866 on: June 30, 2011, 04:45:21 pm »

How do I remove ghosts which I can't memorialise?
I tried runesmith but it didn't work for me.
If it were Failcannon, a siege butchering the population would constitute an event of minor interest that would barely be mentioned in comparison to the overseer's latest obsessive construction.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12867 on: June 30, 2011, 05:38:48 pm »

How do I remove ghosts which I can't memorialise?
I tried runesmith but it didn't work for me.

How have you managed to generate a ghost you can't memorialize?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12868 on: June 30, 2011, 06:09:15 pm »

A bug.  I get it maybe once or twice per fort, usually with merchants.

As for removing them the only way I know of is the dead flag in runesmith.  Sorry I can't help any more than that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Machiavelli

• Bay Watcher
  • 強い白い
    • View Profile
« Reply #12869 on: June 30, 2011, 06:43:05 pm »

Haven't found this answered yet.

Is there any way to encourage or enable a siege?  I've made my fortress a Maginot Line inside of a volcano, and I'm eager to kill things other than kobolds.  I get antsy without being able to use War Bear Company.
NKAWTG
Pages: 1 ... 856 857 [858] 859 860 ... 1178