Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124978 times)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12825 on: June 29, 2011, 08:09:57 am »

Ok, but we don't have the wave of accessory nobles like the philosopher and dungeon master and hammerer any more?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12826 on: June 29, 2011, 08:12:11 am »

Don't the bookkeeping get in the way of the managing, though? I've tried it a few times, and it always seems like the dorf's busy keeping book when I want him to authorise work orders.
Only if they're not trained up fully. I keep an eye on them for early fort ( tend to not use manager then ) and let them train book-keeping up while there're no broking and managing needed. Then set them lower if they're still scribbling stockpiles and I need them doing other things. Once they hit highest level, they don't really book-keep much at all (I'm not even sure if they actually book-keep ever again at highest level, or are just fast with it ), leaving them free to manage and to bother the traders.

Ok, but we don't have the wave of accessory nobles like the philosopher and dungeon master and hammerer any more?
Nope, not in 2010 yet. Maybe in later versions will have them back  :D

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12827 on: June 29, 2011, 08:21:59 am »

Only if they're not trained up fully. I keep an eye on them for early fort ( tend to not use manager then ) and let them train book-keeping up while there're no broking and managing needed. Then set them lower if they're still scribbling stockpiles and I need them doing other things. Once they hit highest level, they don't really book-keep much at all (I'm not even sure if they actually book-keep ever again at highest level, or are jus
t fast with it ), leaving them free to manage and to bother the traders.[/quote]
Ah, that makes sense. I never thought of lowering the bookkeeping-levels. Might try it the next time I start a fort, even.
Love, scriver~

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12828 on: June 29, 2011, 09:46:10 am »

If you have a female egg layer, and she's sitting ontop her egg filled nest but there's no male, will she sit on her eggs forever until a male comes along and fertilized the eggs by spores?
Or will the eggs eventually rot if not fertilized.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12829 on: June 29, 2011, 10:14:50 am »

Hrm, the way I always understood it, eggs are fertilized (or not) when they're laid, they don't just get randomly fertilized after the fact. Although I could always be wrong! But if your eggs haven't hatched in a few seasons/a year, I'd say let someone collect them, and forbid the next ones that come along. (If you have an adult male, if not, don't bother.)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12830 on: June 29, 2011, 01:45:48 pm »

From the wiki:
Elephants are trainable into war/hunting elephants at the kennels by a dwarf with the animal trainer labor enabled.
Tame Elephants are currently bugged, and will die of starvation while eating, because they can't eat enough grass in time.
And then it goes on to talk about the uses of elephants.
So... does this mean that trained elephants and other trained grazers don't need to eat, or does the article assume that anyone planning on breeding and training elephants will be altering their grazer value?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12831 on: June 29, 2011, 01:49:16 pm »

There's a lot of weirdness in the wiki re: tamed animals. For example, it says that exotic animals are only trainable with the Dungeon Master, but the Dungeon Master has been bugged since the inception of DF2010 (over a year now?) with no work-around, and exotic animals actually *can't* be tamed on-site, only purchased tame from Elves.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12832 on: June 29, 2011, 03:20:09 pm »

You did have a source of fresh water and a bucket available, and an idle dwarf with feed patients labor enabled?
not really the problem, disarming caged prisoners is, but i had a well to fresh water one room away, every dwarf besides my duchess has feeding wounded/prisoners enabled, and up to ten dwarves at a time would go idle between hauling jobs (my practice catapults make a lot of stone hauling jobs)  none of my medical staff have other jobs besides hauling and militia service (50% of this fort are militia sometimes, 8 full squads training 5 each, all year)

is there any way to change job priority?  so that my duchess with no labours enabled does not decide to take it upon herself to move the new puppies to the cage when the dwarf liaison wants a meeting, and that wounded and prisoners do not die of starvation or thirst because everyone is happily hauling rocks?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12833 on: June 29, 2011, 04:05:35 pm »

Update: The eggs haven't rotten yet, but naturally they haven't hatched either.

I guess I'll find out if they can still be fertilized if a male comes along. If I'm lucky I'll catch it so I can find out for sure, but it might be a good amount of years before I'll see a male visit the fortress.  :(

Do caged animals breed? Like would a caged male fertilize the eggs of a non caged female somewhere on a nest box.
If they couldn't I'd so some actual testing on a beasty I have in abundance and find an definate answer to the question. :)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12834 on: June 29, 2011, 04:18:32 pm »

I recall an experiment that seemed to determine that eggs will only hatch if a male was present for the laying.  Though that wasn't the focus of the experiment so other variables may have interfered with the ‼science‼.

And caged animals don't breed, pregnant females can still give birth but they can't actually...uh...Spores.  The male would need to be outside a cage.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12835 on: June 29, 2011, 08:53:04 pm »

There's a lot of weirdness in the wiki re: tamed animals. For example, it says that exotic animals are only trainable with the Dungeon Master, but the Dungeon Master has been bugged since the inception of DF2010 (over a year now?) with no work-around, and exotic animals actually *can't* be tamed on-site, only purchased tame from Elves.

A lot of that info on the wiki is carryover from 40d- I imagine that things like that were re-verified by taking away the exotic tag.

From the wiki:
Elephants are trainable into war/hunting elephants at the kennels by a dwarf with the animal trainer labor enabled.
Tame Elephants are currently bugged, and will die of starvation while eating, because they can't eat enough grass in time.
And then it goes on to talk about the uses of elephants.
So... does this mean that trained elephants and other trained grazers don't need to eat, or does the article assume that anyone planning on breeding and training elephants will be altering their grazer value?

That article (after reading) contains some older info brought over from 40d- you'll also notice some asides to how size value and combat has changed. Tame elephants (trained or otherwise) do need to eat to survive, and due to their grazer value they will starve to death (theoretically if they spend one turn moving and the next eating, all the time, they'll survive, but that never happens and would require extreme pasture micromanagement.)

That said, if you were to change the grazer value for the purposes of breeding/training then the info is accurate. The only thing I would add is that sometime after the grazer update Toady also redid how animals and creatures choose their attacks, which means that Elephants should gore properly now and step on heads when enemies get knocked down- if anything this makes them deadlier.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12836 on: June 29, 2011, 09:08:26 pm »

As far as I can tell, anything with a value of less than 20 will starve because time spent moving to the next tile is time spent not eating. Maybe if you had a dwarf doing nothing but dragging them back and forth, as animals being dragged can cease being hungry when they start getting dragged over grass tiles (I'm 90% sure, anyway) and aren't moving under their own steam. But that would be deeply impractical even if it did work, heh.

Another question: is the gestation period for all animals still nine months, or does size affect this as it does egg-layers?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12837 on: June 29, 2011, 09:17:51 pm »

i think it does so that might be why
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #12838 on: June 29, 2011, 09:58:33 pm »

Let's say I set some burrows, and then abandon the fort. If I reclaim later, will I need to re-designate the burrows?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12839 on: June 29, 2011, 11:18:15 pm »

I just got the second years dwarven caravan and i checked my depot acess because I was working on an area near the entrance and it said that there was no depot access but the caravan just went to my depot anyways. How does that work? I had a path but it was only one wide in a certain area and I was working on putting bridges down.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 1178