Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124923 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12810 on: June 29, 2011, 01:20:01 am »

If I capture goblins and other enemies in cages, are they automatically stripped from their weapons, or are they still carrying them as they have their armor still on?

They still have their equipment, and goblin snatchers who have successfully stolen a child can have the child in a bag in their inventory.

There's a way to remove items from goblins without removing them from their cages, but I've never bothered, I just drown them and loot the stuff.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12811 on: June 29, 2011, 01:57:54 am »

If I capture goblins and other enemies in cages, are they automatically stripped from their weapons, or are they still carrying them as they have their armor still on?

They still have their equipment, and goblin snatchers who have successfully stolen a child can have the child in a bag in their inventory.

There's a way to remove items from goblins without removing them from their cages, but I've never bothered, I just drown them and loot the stuff.

The easiest way is to get all the cages in one place (an animal stockpile set to only accept goblins and trolls is useful) and set a garbage dump nearby.  Then d-b-c all the cages and d-b-d all the cages.  This will set the cages to dump also, so you should go back and un-dump-designate the cages.  You can do this manually with (k) and going to each cage individually, or going to the stockpile screen, find cages and un-designate them that way.

I have a question regarding this, actually.  If I unforbid the goblins' weapons and armor via stockpile screen, will they be automatically retrieved and put into the relevant weapon/armor stockpile?  I'd really like to streamline getting rid of metal gear so my military can live-practice on them and then I can wash the excess clothes/bodies away with magma.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12812 on: June 29, 2011, 02:06:19 am »

The easiest way is to get all the cages in one place (an animal stockpile set to only accept goblins and trolls is useful) and set a garbage dump nearby.  Then d-b-c all the cages and d-b-d all the cages.  This will set the cages to dump also, so you should go back and un-dump-designate the cages.  You can do this manually with (k) and going to each cage individually, or going to the stockpile screen, find cages and un-designate them that way.

I have a question regarding this, actually.  If I unforbid the goblins' weapons and armor via stockpile screen, will they be automatically retrieved and put into the relevant weapon/armor stockpile?  I'd really like to streamline getting rid of metal gear so my military can live-practice on them and then I can wash the excess clothes/bodies away with magma.

Nope, I have a habit of unforbidding things on stockpile screen, I've never seen dwarves pull anything from them. Gotta dump them after claiming.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12813 on: June 29, 2011, 05:49:33 am »

neither way has worked for me, there must be some key step that i m missing.  i gained an unhappy thought when my militia commander got a broken hand from a lucky gobbo lasher i was using for live fire training, and ended up dehydrating in the hospital because no one decided to give him a drink.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12814 on: June 29, 2011, 05:56:39 am »

You did have a source of fresh water and a bucket available, and an idle dwarf with feed patients labor enabled?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12815 on: June 29, 2011, 06:14:00 am »

Speaking of drinks.  It appears that rock pots are 1 use items?

Not a big deal, I just want to make sure they aren't piling up somewhere invisibly or something, lol.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12816 on: June 29, 2011, 06:17:56 am »

If I've understood correctly, flying creatures are immune to traps even if they're in the same tile. However, does a spike trap, when activated, impale even flying creatures in the same room?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12817 on: June 29, 2011, 06:30:32 am »

If I've understood correctly, flying creatures are immune to traps even if they're in the same tile. However, does a spike trap, when activated, impale even flying creatures in the same room?
Really? I've caught a LOT of flying creatures in cage traps, and occasionally weapon traps. It might be you need ceiling over the traps to 'force' them down.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12818 on: June 29, 2011, 06:34:16 am »

Ah! The Wiki said that flying creatures are an exception to the traps' effectiveness, but I'm glad to hear it's not so. I was thinking of starting a fort in a savage biome, beginning completely underground (unlike my current one, which is mainly above ground).

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12819 on: June 29, 2011, 07:22:28 am »

Speaking of drinks.  It appears that rock pots are 1 use items? Not a big deal, I just want to make sure they aren't piling up somewhere invisibly or something, lol.
I have long thought that dwarves destroy a drink barrel after it's empty. Or all the barrels/pots get busy with animal fat/tallow. Try dumping all fat & tallow from stocks menu, see if your pots get freed up.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12820 on: June 29, 2011, 07:28:02 am »

How many noble rooms do you need to build in the current version, presuming you run a full size fort? King, Duke, Count, and who else?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12821 on: June 29, 2011, 07:31:47 am »

How many noble rooms do you need to build in the current version, presuming you run a full size fort? King, Duke, Count, and who else?
One for king, one for baron/duke/count/whatever, and optionally one to switch around for your mayor.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12822 on: June 29, 2011, 07:43:48 am »

The king requires a bedroom, dining room, throne room, and a tomb.
The Duke (who replaces your Count who replaces your Baron) requires a bedroom, dining room, throne room, and a tomb.
Your Mayor needs a nice bedroom, an office, and a dining room.
Your bookkeeper needs an office.
Your manager needs an office.
Your Sheriff needs an office, nice bedroom, and dining room.

Some of these requirements may be reduced by combining jobs.  For example, your Duke might also be your manager and bookkeeper.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12823 on: June 29, 2011, 07:49:50 am »

The king requires a bedroom, dining room, throne room, and a tomb.
The Duke (who replaces your Count who replaces your Baron) requires a bedroom, dining room, throne room, and a tomb.
Your Mayor needs a nice bedroom, an office, and a dining room.
Your bookkeeper needs an office.
Your manager needs an office.
Your Sheriff needs an office, nice bedroom, and dining room.

Some of these requirements may be reduced by combining jobs.  For example, your Duke might also be your manager and bookkeeper.

I tend to combine book-keeper, manager and broker in one, and more often than not the baron/count/duke are that dwarf in my forts. Seems fitting, since book-keeping and managing don't need that much effort once set up. And well, gonna boss and boss some more as well as talk to the trader  :D

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12824 on: June 29, 2011, 08:07:00 am »

Don't the bookkeeping get in the way of the managing, though? I've tried it a few times, and it always seems like the dorf's busy keeping book when I want him to authorise work orders.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 853 854 [855] 856 857 ... 1178