Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124886 times)

lleu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12795 on: June 28, 2011, 11:54:12 am »

Are there ocean tides? I have an ocean with obsidian beaches, and I want to know if it is safe to build on them.
Fortresses made: 17
Dwarves Killed: Don't even care anymore.
Sieges repelled: 13

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12796 on: June 28, 2011, 11:56:38 am »

Are there ocean tides? I have an ocean with obsidian beaches, and I want to know if it is safe to build on them.

now, this is quite a question.
because it's to notice that tides actually are something which "could" happen.
One's a guy posted in the forum of a Tsunami which removed a village near the city he began as an adventurer. But that was maybe because it was Legend-induced (i suppose only in legends to disaster occur, right?) so, unless something happens soon, you should be "tide and tsunami" safe
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12797 on: June 28, 2011, 11:57:02 am »

The level of the ocean doesn't rise and fall.  You may get waves however, which crash on the shore and can push objects and creatures around, and potentially wash stuff into the ocean.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12798 on: June 28, 2011, 11:59:11 am »

The level of the ocean doesn't rise and fall.  You may get waves however, which crash on the shore and can push objects and creatures around, and potentially wash stuff into the ocean.

Now I want an oceanside fort...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12799 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:15 pm »

I have an armless dwarf, I have the greatest sympathy for the guy since he was the one to take the brunt of the damage in a fight against a forgotten beasts, unarmored, and survived.
However now the poor sod is spamming me with cancel clean self, store owned item and whatnot.

Is there any way, without violence, I can resolve this situation? If the only option is magma this can be arranged, but the dwarf deserves more then that.

Also I need some ideas for, if I can help him, wich profession he could do. I already tried bookkeeping but apparently you need arms for that.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12800 on: June 28, 2011, 12:13:36 pm »

Engraver?

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12801 on: June 28, 2011, 12:16:42 pm »

Your official military biter. How you would train him though, is a mystery.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12802 on: June 28, 2011, 12:35:46 pm »

Now I want an oceanside fort...

It's really Fun when you leave a passage into the ocean open, because you think nothing can get in that way, and then the goblins show up riding mounts that can swim.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12803 on: June 28, 2011, 03:32:13 pm »

Unfortunately it's also FPS-crash-inducing, as the waves constantly require a lot of calculations.
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12804 on: June 28, 2011, 03:39:32 pm »

Unfortunately it's also FPS-crash-inducing, as the waves constantly require a lot of calculations.

can you place FLOORS on top of ocean tiles if you begin on the sand? and does that actually remove all waves?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12805 on: June 28, 2011, 03:42:32 pm »

I have an armless dwarf, I have the greatest sympathy for the guy since he was the one to take the brunt of the damage in a fight against a forgotten beasts, unarmored, and survived.
However now the poor sod is spamming me with cancel clean self, store owned item and whatnot.

Is there any way, without violence, I can resolve this situation? If the only option is magma this can be arranged, but the dwarf deserves more then that.

Also I need some ideas for, if I can help him, wich profession he could do. I already tried bookkeeping but apparently you need arms for that.

Sheriff
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12806 on: June 28, 2011, 03:52:16 pm »

can you place FLOORS on top of ocean tiles if you begin on the sand? and does that actually remove all waves?

You can build floors over the sand and even over the ocean, but oddly ocean waves will sometimes continue right over and through floors and walls as if they weren't there.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12807 on: June 28, 2011, 04:28:24 pm »

The waves will continue over the walls and floors unhindered if those are built over the actual ocean.  If built on the shore they will block the waves. 

Also if the ground on the beach is stone instead of sand the waves will crash against the stone and not be able to continue.  Waves will only wash ashore on sand (and maybe other soils but I never saw anything bur a rock or sand beach). 

Also waves don't seem to be able to push creatures into the ocean,  but can move items around (doesn't make sense but I often had fishers fishing from the ocean that never managed to get sucked in.), and dwarves gain swimming skill from wading through waves.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

WizardGo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12808 on: June 29, 2011, 01:08:58 am »

Can someone tell me how to equip my millitia with weapons?

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12809 on: June 29, 2011, 01:09:20 am »

If I capture goblins and other enemies in cages, are they automatically stripped from their weapons, or are they still carrying them as they have their armor still on?
Pages: 1 ... 852 853 [854] 855 856 ... 1178