Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124843 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12780 on: June 28, 2011, 05:37:48 am »

How does one determine those that you've engraved memorials of, and those you haven't?

Question still present and in need of answering.

Look in your justice screen and make slabs for ghosts that show up there.  Trying to keep up with them any other way will just make you pull your beard off and do a Lizzie Borden.
Yeah it seems lame, but this interface is really bad.  Theres no real way to filter this.  When you add an engrave job to the workshop it disappears from the list.  However it comes back as soon as your done.  For this reason I usually do my slabs in huge batches.  Wait till you have 10-20 ghosts to lay to rest and fill a couple of workshops to be sure of avoiding duplication.

If you then try this again a year or so later you will cry as the first batch will still be there.
I really dont know of any decent way to manage this beyond watching for them whaling on your guys.

Also dragons should lay eggs, I know people have tried breeding them before (a nightmare since they take 1,000 years to mature).  I dont know if they make any changes to tags to breed them though, would make sense for MBs not to breed.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12781 on: June 28, 2011, 07:49:24 am »

I've heard about dragons not being able to lay eggs because they're megabeasts and I asume it to be true, but would the same apply to my cave dragon? If it worthwhile I'll construct some nestboxes and see for myself but I'd like to know anyway. :)

Normal dragons actually can lay eggs, but those eggs will apparently never hatch.  Cave dragons are not megabeasts, so they can in theory reproduce.  In unmodded DF, they're [PET_EXOTIC], and can't be tamed, and won't claim nest boxes or reproduce, but if you have modded your game to make them [PET] and tamed them they should claim nest boxes and lay eggs.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12782 on: June 28, 2011, 08:07:41 am »

Actually, can't PET_EXOTICs be trained by the Dungeon Master (or whatever was his name)?

EDIT: Ah, the Wiki and bug tracker says it's still bugged so no...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12783 on: June 28, 2011, 08:08:07 am »

I've heard about dragons not being able to lay eggs because they're megabeasts and I asume it to be true, but would the same apply to my cave dragon? If it worthwhile I'll construct some nestboxes and see for myself but I'd like to know anyway. :)

Normal dragons actually can lay eggs, but those eggs will apparently never hatch.  Cave dragons are not megabeasts, so they can in theory reproduce.  In unmodded DF, they're [PET_EXOTIC], and can't be tamed, and won't claim nest boxes or reproduce, but if you have modded your game to make them [PET] and tamed them they should claim nest boxes and lay eggs.

anyone thought about "ENORMOUS" dragons entering in a tiny nextboxes, leaving an enormous dragon batch of eggs, and exiting, like the clowns in the small cars of the circus?...
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12784 on: June 28, 2011, 08:22:22 am »

What do nobles do if I don't meet their mandates? The mayor wants some platinum items, but we haven't struck any platinum and trade isn't exactly an option right now.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12785 on: June 28, 2011, 08:31:37 am »

What do nobles do if I don't meet their mandates? The mayor wants some platinum items, but we haven't struck any platinum and trade isn't exactly an option right now.

they get sad.
and write it down.
when justice gets enabled, they give the name of the highest skilled dwarf in the making of the object (metalcrafter i suppose in this case) and off he goes to jail.
Or if jail has no cages/chains, to be beaten. by the captain of the guard.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12786 on: June 28, 2011, 08:40:13 am »

Do elven caravans refuse to enter wooden trade depots? An elven caravan is arrived but it stays on the edge of the map

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12787 on: June 28, 2011, 08:42:58 am »

I have used wooden depots beforeand never noticed anything like that. Are you sure they can path to it?
Love, scriver~

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12788 on: June 28, 2011, 08:50:17 am »

How long until I see a forgotten beast? Roughly speaking of course.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12789 on: June 28, 2011, 08:52:07 am »

I have used wooden depots beforeand never noticed anything like that. Are you sure they can path to it?

Yeah, since I sealed my fortress because of demons, my dwarves are now living on the outside. An elven caravan is arrived and I built the depot right in front of them, so they can path to it.
My old depot is inaccessible, maybe having two depots confuses the AI?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12790 on: June 28, 2011, 08:56:55 am »

I've read about several depots confusing the traders, but I've never tried it. That could be it, I guess.

How long until I see a forgotten beast? Roughly speaking of course.
I think it can happen at any time afte you've breached the caverns. Might need to meet a number of citizens, but I don't think so. I think it's just a matter of time.
Love, scriver~

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12791 on: June 28, 2011, 09:56:59 am »

Just had a big siege, a couple migrants got killed outside. I made a bunch of coffins and designated them for burial. One of them is now assigned to a miner who died in a mining accident a while ago. The problem with that is that his body is completely engulfed in magma. Will my dwarves try to swim through the magma to get to his body or something crazy like that?

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12792 on: June 28, 2011, 10:00:17 am »

Just had a big siege, a couple migrants got killed outside. I made a bunch of coffins and designated them for burial. One of them is now assigned to a miner who died in a mining accident a while ago. The problem with that is that his body is completely engulfed in magma. Will my dwarves try to swim through the magma to get to his body or something crazy like that?
You make it sound like an issue  :P
But no, I think it only puts his body to rest, preventing a gost. If you do clear out that magma area, then they'll start thinking about shoving him in his tomb.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12793 on: June 28, 2011, 10:26:54 am »

But no, I think it only puts his body to rest, preventing a gost. If you do clear out that magma area, then they'll start thinking about shoving him in his tomb.
Actually, I think that you can still get a ghost if the body's not in the tomb.
I'd build and engrave a slab, just in case.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12794 on: June 28, 2011, 10:30:02 am »

Actually, I think that you can still get a ghost if the body's not in the tomb.
I'd build and engrave a slab, just in case.
Yup, engrave a slab. Or if you're the risk-seeking kind, wait for the ghost announcement to pop up before engraving and placing the slab  :D
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 1178