Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124824 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12720 on: June 26, 2011, 01:58:13 pm »

Can ballista's fire over fortifications?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12721 on: June 26, 2011, 02:15:48 pm »

Ballistae fire through fortifications as if they weren't there.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12722 on: June 26, 2011, 02:16:41 pm »

Can ballista's fire over fortifications?

Yep.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12723 on: June 26, 2011, 08:24:15 pm »

Note that they must be adjacent to the fortification in question.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12724 on: June 26, 2011, 08:52:41 pm »

Why are my dwarves covered in enough loam to make small piles where they walk?

There hasn't been any cave-ins, nor is there any loam anywhere I can see...
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

cameron1124

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12725 on: June 26, 2011, 09:09:29 pm »

Im trying to find some sort of weapon making material. and ive been making tunnels per z level. should I continue or should I just dig down till I hit someting then mine that z level?

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12726 on: June 26, 2011, 09:45:26 pm »

Why is my dwarf walking to the workshop, standing on the workshop, with nothing stopping him from constructing the workshop, but then walks away saying he can't reach it?

There's nothing forbidden or being dumped on it... It's quite annoying.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12727 on: June 26, 2011, 10:24:24 pm »

Why is my dwarf walking to the workshop, standing on the workshop, with nothing stopping him from constructing the workshop
Yo dorf, I heard you like workshops, so I put a workshop in your workshop so you can work while you work.

In all seriousness though, what's the exact message? If the dwarf's getting to the site and then cancelling, it's not an access problem.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12728 on: June 26, 2011, 10:30:50 pm »

It's telling me he can't reach the site... When he's standing on it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12729 on: June 26, 2011, 10:39:17 pm »

Is there anything on it?  They will still cancel if there is an item on the building site and there isn't a free adjacent tile on that z-level to move the item to.  If you are building a 3x3 workshop on a 3x3 raised platform surrounded by ramps in a recently dug out chamber for example you'll need to clear the site manually because the dwarves can't figure out where to move the loose stone to.

Also make sure to check for hidden items, though those won't block any more than a normal item unless forbidden or set for dumping, it's easy to overlook them sometimes.

P.S. Tiles that have something designated to be constructed do NOT count as a free tile.  The dwarves are 'smart' enough not to screw up another worker by placing items where something is being built.  Most finished constructions however don't bother it though.  A workshop under construction will block the dwarf from moving items onto it's tiles, but a finished workshop will not.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:41:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12730 on: June 26, 2011, 10:51:30 pm »

Is there a way to deactivate barracks without deleting them and losing the train / sleep / equip information? My dwarves are all motivated enough to do nothing but combat drills in their free time, and I want them to help out with the hauling.

I've tried forbidding the armour racks.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12731 on: June 27, 2011, 12:00:07 am »

Is there a way to deactivate barracks without deleting them and losing the train / sleep / equip information? My dwarves are all motivated enough to do nothing but combat drills in their free time, and I want them to help out with the hauling.

I've tried forbidding the armour racks.

Have you tried putting your squad off training/active and on civilian assignment?

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12732 on: June 27, 2011, 12:29:14 am »

Question: I have a dwarf laying in bed with a broken arm and leg. Now, my doctor tries to immobilize the limbs, but I keep getting the error message: "Urist McDoctor cancels Immobilize Break: Need splint." However, I have many splints. One is in my hospital stock, and the others are laying in the carpenters workshop. Yes, I do have all the doctor professions set to on. I don't know what else it could be that is wrong. Why exactly is my doctor not immobilizing the limbs?

Edit: Nevermind. Moving the splints to the hospital made my doctor go to work on those breaks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:32:37 am by Flaming Toadstool »
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12733 on: June 27, 2011, 04:39:59 am »

It's telling me he can't reach the site... When he's standing on it.

Are you sure it's not the building material he cannot reach?  When ordered to build a workshop or construction, dwarves choose the rock they will use, and nobody else will use that rock for anything - if a door is locked or room flooded, stopping access to the rock - you need to forbid that rock, end the construction, and try again.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12734 on: June 27, 2011, 08:03:12 am »

Is there any benefit to using artifacts in complex constructions? i.e., an artifact chain in a well, or an artifact table in a traction bench?
Pages: 1 ... 847 848 [849] 850 851 ... 1178