Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124907 times)

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12690 on: June 25, 2011, 09:33:54 am »

Check the zone, {H} is what you want to look at once hospital zone's been set. Then you want coffers to be within the zone to store the materials. If there're not enough space, the stuff won't get stored. (Be warned, they'll overstuff them the first time  :D )

Well, there are numbers assigned and there are coffers, but e.g. there's lots of thread on the cloth stockpile and none in the hospital. Or do I just have to wait until some dwarf does that automatically?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12691 on: June 25, 2011, 09:35:08 am »

Check the zone, {H} is what you want to look at once hospital zone's been set. Then you want coffers to be within the zone to store the materials. If there're not enough space, the stuff won't get stored. (Be warned, they'll overstuff them the first time  :D )

Well, there are numbers assigned and there are coffers, but e.g. there's lots of thread on the cloth stockpile and none in the hospital. Or do I just have to wait until some dwarf does that automatically?

Check the coffers with {t}, if there're plenty of stuff in there, that means you need more. Otherwise, yes wait, sometimes it takes a bit for them go go "Oh, that need to be put there"

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12692 on: June 25, 2011, 10:03:28 am »

What are the better animals to use as a meat industry other than Cats and Dogs ?

I tried cows but they seem to like killing one another instead ><

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12693 on: June 25, 2011, 10:49:57 am »

Why do I not have any underground seeds available? There arn't any plants in the caverns either! (Or any trees in the upper (of three) caverns - and apparently no traders? At least it's Autumn of the first year and there haven't been any traders and no other civilizations besides dwarves on the civilization screen...)
You probably have a parent dwarf civ whose cavern layer 1 has no water, and therefore no plants or grasses.

Try these worldgen settings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
OHHHHH...
Would setting
Code: [Select]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:1]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:1]
still work?
(I'm using the caverns for mechanics (walled off of course) and so don't want a lot of water)
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12694 on: June 25, 2011, 10:53:15 am »

Alpacas are a good source of meat, milk, and wool. Also are good on grass resources. Eat less than cattle.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12695 on: June 25, 2011, 11:05:05 am »

Does better bolts means that I can go through some enemy armor ?

I.E using Steel bolts will pierce through enemy using copper armor or something like that ?
Better bolt have a higher chance of going through armor, yes.
I believe that the best bolt material is silver, because of its weight/density.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12696 on: June 25, 2011, 01:18:51 pm »

bronze bars won't count as a "tin item", will they?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12697 on: June 25, 2011, 01:21:34 pm »

No.  You need to smelt ore to make tin bars, or make some craft or something out of tin.  Bronze doesn't count as being tin, even though tin is part of the reaction to make it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #12698 on: June 25, 2011, 01:33:43 pm »

I tried cows but they seem to like killing one another instead ><

I think that means you're not giving them enough grazing room.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12699 on: June 25, 2011, 04:12:23 pm »

Are spear dwarves rare?
Sp far I never got one and I have an artifact spear laying around being useless.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12700 on: June 25, 2011, 04:17:28 pm »

Why not just train one?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12701 on: June 25, 2011, 06:51:51 pm »

Would setting [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:1][CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:1]
still work? (I'm using the caverns for mechanics (walled off of course) and so don't want a lot of water)
I don't think so. Try min 12 max 12.

Spears are pretty nice in Genesis adventurer mode.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12702 on: June 25, 2011, 08:08:25 pm »

I'm trying to mass-dump corpses from the stocks screen, and keep wondering why the corpse names are colored differently. Can anyone tell me what the colors mean?

I've been wondering the same thing about the relationship screen, actually. There the names are colored differently and sometimes blinking. So far no one's been able to answer why.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12703 on: June 25, 2011, 08:12:03 pm »

I'm trying to mass-dump corpses from the stocks screen, and keep wondering why the corpse names are colored differently. Can anyone tell me what the colors mean?

I've been wondering the same thing about the relationship screen, actually. There the names are colored differently and sometimes blinking. So far no one's been able to answer why.

Typically, at least AFAIK, the colors in the relationship screen relate to the professions of the listed dwarves. Blinking names indicate legendary status.

edit: In the stocks screen, the colors are consistent with other stock listing. Brown means claimed, and not part of a building. Teal is is claimed, but part of a building. Purple indicates forbidden or marked for dumping. Red indicates ownership by non-site individuals, I think. White indicates off-site origin.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:18:31 pm by Aachen »
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12704 on: June 25, 2011, 09:29:09 pm »

edit: In the stocks screen, the colors are consistent with other stock listing. Brown means claimed, and not part of a building. Teal is is claimed, but part of a building. Purple indicates forbidden or marked for dumping. Red indicates ownership by non-site individuals, I think. White indicates off-site origin.

I have a lot of teal skeletons, and this is making my mind boggle just a little bit. Maybe they're in coffins?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.
Pages: 1 ... 845 846 [847] 848 849 ... 1178