Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1124888 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12660 on: June 24, 2011, 10:12:31 am »

It needs to be a temperate biome.

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12661 on: June 24, 2011, 11:46:13 am »

I have a couple of questions regarding the military.
1) If I assign a training weapon and a "real" weapon to a dwarf, will he change automatically between training weapon and real weapon depending on whether he's training or attacking someone? Or will he pick either/or and then try to kill a forgotten beast with a wooden sword? Is it actually neccessary to use training weapons at all?

2) Atm my military is wearing a hotchpotch of leather, bone, and metal armor pieces on top of their normal clothing. I want to change to metal armor with some leather clothing underneath. Do I have to set them to no uniform first, then assign the leather clothing, and finally the metal armor, or is it sufficient if I just made a new uniform and set all my military to wear it?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12662 on: June 24, 2011, 12:19:58 pm »

Is there a separate trigger for goblin ambushes as opposed to seiges? What about babysnatchers/thieves? If so, what is it? A search turned up conflicting information -- some places say there's no trigger for a goblin ambush, others say the ambush trigger point is a population of fifty.

Asking because my current fort population is capped at 20 (27 actual dwarves) and I haven't seen any goblins at all yet and I'm into my fourth year.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12663 on: June 24, 2011, 12:22:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can get ambushes before you reach 50 pop because that's why one of my (vanilla) forts died.
In genesis I had one before 20 pop but that might be because of the mod.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12664 on: June 24, 2011, 01:01:50 pm »

i depends on how far away they are i tested this and if they can reach you
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12665 on: June 24, 2011, 01:20:37 pm »

Well, the site shows that goblins can reach it, I checked that before embark.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12666 on: June 24, 2011, 01:24:22 pm »

Why do I not have any underground seeds available? There arn't any plants in the caverns either! (Or any trees in the upper (of three) caverns - and apparently no traders? At least it's Autumn of the first year and there haven't been any traders and no other civilizations besides dwarves on the civilization screen...)

EDIT:
I hate modding, but adding the following to the render fat task at least got me some plants, which I can use to make more.
Code: [Select]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:STRUCTURAL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE:STRUCTURAL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:BERRIES_STRAW_WILD:STRUCTURAL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG:STRUCTURAL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:POD_SWEET:STRUCTURAL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:PLANT:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT_MAT:BERRIES_PRICKLE:STRUCTURAL]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:34:14 pm by Root Infinity »
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12667 on: June 24, 2011, 07:44:02 pm »

1) If I assign a training weapon and a "real" weapon to a dwarf, will he change automatically between training weapon and real weapon depending on whether he's training or attacking someone? Or will he pick either/or and then try to kill a forgotten beast with a wooden sword? Is it actually neccessary to use training weapons at all?

2) Atm my military is wearing a hotchpotch of leather, bone, and metal armor pieces on top of their normal clothing. I want to change to metal armor with some leather clothing underneath. Do I have to set them to no uniform first, then assign the leather clothing, and finally the metal armor, or is it sufficient if I just made a new uniform and set all my military to wear it?

1) Actually, I'm not sure, but that said training accidents are nothing like they were in the past- you can assign them fully lethal weaponry with practically zero chance of injury (I myself have not yet seen it, despite relying on military training.) The bonus is that you don't have to worry about them hanging around in the armory getting their "real" weapons when you put them on alert.

2) As I recall (don't have a game open in front of me) the default uniform reads something like "metal chest, metal legwear, metal handwear etc." Your dwarves will attempt to equip one piece of metal armor for each body part- if they cannot find metal, they will wear leather/bone until some metal becomes available. So based on what you've said thus far, you'll need more metal armor to fully equip everyone.

Depending on how well you want to learn the military screen, there are two ways to go about this. Let's assume you just want to make them wear a breastplate over a leather vest right now- you can modify the default uniform in 3 steps. 1) Remove "Metal Chest." 2) Add a Breastplate and a Vest. 3) Using "M" for material, change the material on Breastplate to "Metal" and the material on Vest to "Leather." You can be more specific if you want (Steel instead of Metal, for instance) but since dwarves will automatically upgrade to better armor as it becomes available you don't really have to worry about it.

The more in-depth way to go about it would be to create a whole new uniform- I recommend this because if you screw up you still have the default uniforms as a fallback. Add the items you want your dwarves to wear the same way you did in the first part. You can find information about each piece of armor here, and information about layering here, although it is probably easier to start reading here. Note that these are all the same article, I'm just highlighting different sections. That last link in particular has a min/max'd uniform ready to go.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12668 on: June 24, 2011, 07:45:00 pm »

1) If you assign both, they'll probably pick up both and use one or the other randomly. If you have access to real weapons use those, training weapons have few uses that normal weapons don't have.

2) You can make a uniform and assign it. Your militia will drop any armor not part of the new uniform. Make sure to assign materials.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12669 on: June 24, 2011, 10:38:24 pm »

May I ask if someone can explain how to link my 7 pumps to a windmill ?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12670 on: June 24, 2011, 11:01:20 pm »

Why do I not have any underground seeds available? There arn't any plants in the caverns either! (Or any trees in the upper (of three) caverns - and apparently no traders? At least it's Autumn of the first year and there haven't been any traders and no other civilizations besides dwarves on the civilization screen...)
You probably have a parent dwarf civ whose cavern layer 1 has no water, and therefore no plants or grasses.

Try these worldgen settings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Windmill
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Screw_pump
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Machinery
pew pew pew
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:04:50 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12671 on: June 24, 2011, 11:27:24 pm »

Depends on how many pumps, and how much power your windmill is generating. Windmills supply power to the tile 1z beneath their center, and depending on map conditions provide 40, 20, or 0 power. You can transfer power via gear assemblies or axels (make sure the center tile under the windmill is channeled out so power can flow through). Friction is loosely modeled in game, in that every component takes some power in order to transfer the rest. Gear Assemblies take 5, and axels take 1/tile. Axels are made out of wood, and are great for transferring power across great distances, and can directly connect to windmills and screw pumps. Horizontal Axels transfer power in any orthogonal direction on one z level, while Vertical Axels transfer power between z levels. Gear Assemblies are built with one mechanism, and can transmit power in any orthogonal direction as well as vertically; they are best suited for when you need to make a 90 degree turn, or when you need multiple power sources to converge.

If you are pumping underground (and are not making a pump stack, in which case I urge you to refer to that link) I recommend building your windmill directly above the screw pump and building vertical axels down to where you need the power. If your aim is off, you can change the direction of power flow with Gear Assemblies. Remember to channel out any place you want a vertical axle. If your pumping operations are taking place on the surface then you should either build the windmill on top of the pump (involves constructing walls but means you don't have to muck with power transfer) or build the windmill in one place, put a gear assembly underneath and transfer to the pump(s).

To figure out how much power you need, you need to check how much the windmill is providing ('q' over it I think,) then check how many gears or axels you have between the windmill and the pump. For example, if you have a windmill providing 40 power then you have enough power to fuel 6 gear assemblies OR 30 vertical axels OR some other combination (1 gear assembly and 25 horizontal axels, say,) while still having the 10 power left over for the screw pump itself.

Caveat- I was tired when I wrote this, so instead of fact-checking I will go to sleep. I'm sure somebody will jump in if I said something egregiously wrong, and hopefully you'll forgive me if my math or grammar is off.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12672 on: June 25, 2011, 03:14:26 am »

Hey, probably asked before, but I have a slight issue with a fey mood. He's demanding leather and a whole bundle of cut gems, I've got a ton sitting around but he's not even going for them? Is this just an act of dwarven stupidity? Any way I can get him to not go berserk?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12673 on: June 25, 2011, 03:16:22 am »

Hey, probably asked before, but I have a slight issue with a fey mood. He's demanding leather and a whole bundle of cut gems, I've got a ton sitting around but he's not even going for them? Is this just an act of dwarven stupidity? Any way I can get him to not go berserk?
What kind of leather and gems does he prefer?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12674 on: June 25, 2011, 03:17:53 am »

What kind of leather and gems does he prefer?

And with that, my questions are answered. Thankyou.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.
Pages: 1 ... 843 844 [845] 846 847 ... 1178