Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125036 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12645 on: June 24, 2011, 01:53:25 am »

Is it all right to  NOT give each dwarf their own room ?

I play this a lot and experiment with a lot of stuff, (and I abandoned a lot as well) and the part that I really hate the most is the making a room for each dwarf part.

is it all right to just make one gigantic dormitory, make it super expensive with gold statue and everything without decreasing the dwarf happiness ?

I also would like to ask the more experience player on how they handle making a housing section for the dwarf.

I used to make 5x5 rooms with 3x5 tombs for every dwarf, but after you engrave them and get them fitted out, nobles can become very angry , so I've started making smaller rooms like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3-wide hallway with 4 deep alcoves on either side.

Very, Very quick to designate.  Make a 3 wide hallway, then start 4 tiles above it:

<d>-<d> <enter> <shift-down arrow> <enter> <left arrow 2x> <enter> <shift-up arrow> <enter> <left arrow 2x>

This gives you room to place a couple coffers and a bed behind a door.

The exact same thing can be used for tombs.

Instead of a bed two coffers and a door, you put a coffin, a slab, a coffer, and a door.

Really fast to plan out, and extremely simple.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:56:00 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12646 on: June 24, 2011, 03:54:46 am »

uhmmm okay, now this is a bit strange...
i have 23 idlers.
now, don't get me wrong.
it's not like there is nothing to do.
they all have masonry enabled, and engraving. and there are things to be engraved, bridges to be built and so on (i always activate architecture to ALL the dwarves...cuz i mean, an architect only would make all buildings keep on waiting forever) but they just...stand there, in the meeting hall, or in the grand mausoleum with enough tombs for all my 137 dwarfs...and they do nothing.
they are not "on break" bear in mind...they have the "no job"...
are they on strike?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12647 on: June 24, 2011, 05:55:26 am »

what kind of arrow do you guys use for the training dwarf in the archery range ?

I usually use wooden bolts, but they sometime are giving me some problems late in the game when you can barely step out of your fort without getting ambushed.

Another thing is, do you need to put cats and dogs to a pasture ?

Will this cause cats to ignore vermins inside the fortress ?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:58:53 am by AcESCAR »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12648 on: June 24, 2011, 05:58:42 am »

i have 23 idlers.
now, don't get me wrong.
they all have masonry enabled, and engraving. and there are things to be engraved, bridges to be built and so on (i always activate architecture to ALL the dwarves...cuz i mean, an architect only would make all buildings keep on waiting forever) but they just...stand there, in the meeting hall, or in the grand mausoleum with enough tombs for all my 137 dwarfs...and they do nothing.
are they on strike?

Check your burrows and pathing.  Try to build a chair or table where you want the dwarves to work to test.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12649 on: June 24, 2011, 06:03:49 am »

what kind of arrow do you guys use for the training dwarf in the archery range ?

I usually use wooden bolts, but they sometime are giving me some problems late in the game when you can barely step out of your fort without getting ambushed.

I uses bone bolts, they works even against armored enemies sometimes and are cheap for training. I've never had good experience with wooden bolts, though to be fair, I does do a lot of animal husbandry or randomly butchering so bones are easy to come by :D

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12650 on: June 24, 2011, 06:12:52 am »

Dogs and cats don't eat, but if they get too crowded, they will fight each other in a pasture.

I keep about 10 adult dogs and 10 adult cats in 10x10 rooms with airlock(double) nopet doors and harvest the puppies and kittens as they are born.

If there are lots of vermin around I'll let a couple kittens out for a while.

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12651 on: June 24, 2011, 06:22:03 am »

What exactly is the point of having a large world? Do you ever travel around to other parts of the world or anything?

Sure, in adventure mode, otherwise it just means richer history, and more embark locations.

So do you never leave the area you start out in Dwarf Fortress mode?

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12652 on: June 24, 2011, 06:41:02 am »

How do I deal with cages?
I can't access them at all directly, especially those that sit in my trade depot.
I see four of them in the trade depot, but looking at the point where I see them with k doesn't even show them in the menu.
Of course q doesn't do anything either.
At another point I had the cages on a stockpile but I was unable to deconstruct or even open them. The only possibility to release an animal in there was to first assign the animal to a pasture and then revoke that so that the animal would roam around the meeting hall.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12653 on: June 24, 2011, 06:48:04 am »

What exactly is the point of having a large world? Do you ever travel around to other parts of the world or anything?

Sure, in adventure mode, otherwise it just means richer history, and more embark locations.

So do you never leave the area you start out in Dwarf Fortress mode?

Once you start a fortress in dwarf mode, you're stuck in your embark area.  If you abandon a fortress, you can return to it later and reclaim it, or embark at another location.

Adventurers in adventurer mode are not restricted in that way.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12654 on: June 24, 2011, 06:48:54 am »

How do I deal with cages?

You need to build cage first with {b} -> {j}. Then you can use it. 
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12655 on: June 24, 2011, 07:41:55 am »

is there a way to build a Very very long walls and/or floor ?

I am talking about like from one end of the map to the other kind of long.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12656 on: June 24, 2011, 08:27:25 am »

Yes.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12657 on: June 24, 2011, 09:20:36 am »

i have 23 idlers.
now, don't get me wrong.
are they on strike?

Check your burrows and pathing.  Try to build a chair or table where you want the dwarves to work to test.

not a burrow problem (never assigned one). and pathing seems okay (hunters move around)...
it's just...they stay there.
it's like they won't go and help the others...i'm scared my dwarves have developed AI...they're on strike.
and they aren't saying they are.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12658 on: June 24, 2011, 10:01:51 am »

not a burrow problem (never assigned one). and pathing seems okay (hunters move around)...
it's just...they stay there.
it's like they won't go and help the others...i'm scared my dwarves have developed AI...they're on strike.
and they aren't saying they are.

By pathing, Monsieur Bob is referring to the designations utility; under the {d} button submenu, there's another option to set travel zones, like high-traffic areas and restricted areas. Most people use them to restrict passage across ice-pools, 'cause dwarves are stupid and stand on top of defrosting ponds.

ALSO: Check if you haven't accidentally forbidden a door or two in the way.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12659 on: June 24, 2011, 10:05:40 am »

How can I gen a world or find a section of my world that freezes over, but also unfreezes? I've been mostly genning and praying and its getting tiresome now.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.
Pages: 1 ... 842 843 [844] 845 846 ... 1178