Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 841 842 [843] 844 845 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125051 times)

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12630 on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:09 am »

Alternately, if you just want to get those ore stones moved elsewhere, a mass dump would also do the trick.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12631 on: June 23, 2011, 02:43:05 pm »

Can you raise/lower a well bucket through a grate? A fortification?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12632 on: June 23, 2011, 02:44:20 pm »

Can you raise/lower a well bucket through a grate? A fortification?

Nope. If water's above it, it'll work fine, though.

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12633 on: June 23, 2011, 04:41:55 pm »

Do dwarves die of old age?

Also, I was playing yesterday and two of my miners were flashing darker and then lighter. What does that mean?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12634 on: June 23, 2011, 04:46:31 pm »

Do dwarves die of old age?

In theory, yes.  They have a maximum age of 150-170 years.  In practice, very few forts run long enough for this to be an issue.

Also, I was playing yesterday and two of my miners were flashing darker and then lighter. What does that mean?

Those miners have become Legendary.  Legendary dwarves flash light and dark like that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12635 on: June 23, 2011, 08:08:10 pm »

I was digging my base's main staircase down and I hit a cavern. I saw some creatures in there that I'd rather not have in the base, so on the z level one above the cavern, I dug away from the main staircase and built another downward staircase into the cavern. I removed the upward staircase that was part of my base's main staircase, and got all the miners in the cavern out via the second stairway. I then built a 2 block thick wall in between the two staircases, with all of my dwarves on the fortress side of the wall.

Is there any way that something could get through that setup from the cavern?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12636 on: June 23, 2011, 10:38:36 pm »

I was digging my base's main staircase down and I hit a cavern. I saw some creatures in there that I'd rather not have in the base, so on the z level one above the cavern, I dug away from the main staircase and built another downward staircase into the cavern. I removed the upward staircase that was part of my base's main staircase, and got all the miners in the cavern out via the second stairway. I then built a 2 block thick wall in between the two staircases, with all of my dwarves on the fortress side of the wall.

If you have sealed the hole completely with walls or floors, you should be fine.  Without seeing it for myself, I can't say for sure.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12637 on: June 23, 2011, 10:43:44 pm »

If you your main staircase looks like this:

Code: [Select]
x
x
j

where j is the up staircase you removed, it turns into a down staircase, and I think flying creatures could still fly up.  Maybe.  Since you removed the up staircase, you can just {b-C-f} build a floor over those down staircases and you're safe.  I've lost a few forts to getting staircases wrong, but that was a long time ago, so it's hard to recall.

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12638 on: June 23, 2011, 10:50:56 pm »

If you have sealed the hole completely with walls or floors, you should be fine.  Without seeing it for myself, I can't say for sure.

If you your main staircase looks like this:

Code: [Select]
x
x
j

where j is the up staircase you removed, it turns into a down staircase, and I think flying creatures could still fly up.  Maybe.  Since you removed the up staircase, you can just {b-C-f} build a floor over those down staircases and you're safe.  I've lost a few forts to getting staircases wrong, but that was a long time ago, so it's hard to recall.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure I have it fully plugged up now.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12639 on: June 23, 2011, 10:53:47 pm »

If you want to be sure, pump some water into the staircase and see if it's watertight.  If it's all construction, and no buildings, and it's watertight, then it's crittertight.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12640 on: June 23, 2011, 11:06:00 pm »

What exactly is the point of having a large world? Do you ever travel around to other parts of the world or anything?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12641 on: June 23, 2011, 11:20:03 pm »

What exactly is the point of having a large world? Do you ever travel around to other parts of the world or anything?
You get a larger variety of sites, and a larger world for Adventure mode.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12642 on: June 23, 2011, 11:21:43 pm »

Sure, in adventure mode, otherwise it just means richer history, and more embark locations.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12643 on: June 24, 2011, 01:28:45 am »

Is it all right to  NOT give each dwarf their own room ?

I play this a lot and experiment with a lot of stuff, (and I abandoned a lot as well) and the part that I really hate the most is the making a room for each dwarf part.

is it all right to just make one gigantic dormitory, make it super expensive with gold statue and everything without decreasing the dwarf happiness ?

I also would like to ask the more experience player on how they handle making a housing section for the dwarf.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12644 on: June 24, 2011, 01:33:27 am »

I have let forts run for years with a dwarf : bed ratio of about 1 : 4  (with a few random bedrooms, as well as a hospital adding another six or so beds). I don't even think the dorms were especially high-value rooms. Not a problem.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.
Pages: 1 ... 841 842 [843] 844 845 ... 1178