Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 [841] 842 843 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125105 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12600 on: June 22, 2011, 04:04:42 am »

Clay is a soil type, and from what I've seen it tends to be around rivers fairly frequently.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12601 on: June 22, 2011, 04:07:18 am »

Gotta check it out later. Thanks guys.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12602 on: June 22, 2011, 04:20:44 am »

It can be searched for in the site finder
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12603 on: June 22, 2011, 04:45:46 am »

Any soil which is a two word combo that has "clay" as one of the two words counts as clay.  If it's three words (and one is clay) it isn't clay.

Example:  "Clay Loam" and "Sandy Clay" is Clay.  "Sandy Clay Loam" is not Clay.

Sand is always "[Color] Sand".  "Sandy Clay", "Sandy Loam", etc is not Sand.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12604 on: June 22, 2011, 07:37:51 am »

Oh, one more question: do people (and mobs and stuff) on top of a drawbridge get thrown away when the bridge is raised? If so, how does it work? Is the movement vertical, parabolical or?

And no, this is not for siege defense. It's for a high-class tomb, whose occupant's remains must never fall into enemy hands. If tossing the body won't work, I think I'll instead make it fall into the bowels of the Earth...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:39:37 am by Kay12 »
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12605 on: June 22, 2011, 07:56:05 am »

Oh, one more question: do people (and mobs and stuff) on top of a drawbridge get thrown away when the bridge is raised? If so, how does it work? Is the movement vertical, parabolical or?

Like so:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=42111

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12606 on: June 22, 2011, 08:00:06 am »

Well, if I created a narrow pedestal with a wide "safe pit" around it, that could work, but I think I'll just stick with a tomb that self-destructs if anyone attempts to loot the treasure inside.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12607 on: June 22, 2011, 08:58:05 am »

I just recently started using the Genesis mod pack, and I started a project on making a large drowning room.

basically, I will lure the enemy deep into my fortress and close the two gate leading in and out of my fortress.
Now since I am using the genesis mod, I try this on a werewolves. I let the pump woking on those water till it reach 7 deep but after a while, I notice that they JUST DONT DIE !!

they literally just move around in that chamber untill i open the gate (about 1 season long). Now I want to know if Goblins or any enemy in general can be killed by drowning. ( I know dwarf can)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12608 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:31 am »

goblins in genesis (and probably vanilla as well) can swim but do not have [NO_BREATH] so they will drown as long as there is no empty space over than water.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12609 on: June 22, 2011, 09:30:58 am »

You need a roof over your drowning room. And a few spikes in them them hooked up to a lever, just in case something that don't drowns sticks around.

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12610 on: June 22, 2011, 06:56:09 pm »

Forwarning. I use dwarf hack for dwarf prospector (a small utility that tells you what metals and stone are on the map). This time when I embarked I used the prospector and saw that it said "Has Demon Temple". Not knowing what this was I serched for demon temple on the magma wiki, when I found no information I continued on my way. After digging about 10 layers down I broke into this "Temple" and an entire host of undead alligators, eagles, and water buffalo attacked my miners. Since this was a brand new embark they swiftly died.

Anyway, I am curious about these "demon temples" and since I could not find any information on the magma wiki I ask for information here.
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12611 on: June 22, 2011, 07:09:12 pm »

I took out a one-humped camel in adventure mode and i want to butcher it to sell, but apparently I need a tool (went with a lasher, and i'm assuming a whip isn't a useful butchering tool). "No problem", i thought, "I'll just knap a pair of stones so I can do it!". Not so simple >.< I can't seem to figure out how to get a stone into my hand, so I can't order my human to knap any stones... Any ideas?
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12612 on: June 22, 2011, 07:16:24 pm »

Forwarning. I use dwarf hack for dwarf prospector (a small utility that tells you what metals and stone are on the map). This time when I embarked I used the prospector and saw that it said "Has Demon Temple". Not knowing what this was I serched for demon temple on the magma wiki, when I found no information I continued on my way. After digging about 10 layers down I broke into this "Temple" and an entire host of undead alligators, eagles, and water buffalo attacked my miners. Since this was a brand new embark they swiftly died.

Anyway, I am curious about these "demon temples" and since I could not find any information on the magma wiki I ask for information here.

The demon temples are actually a bit of a misnomer - they're full of undead. Zombies and skeletons and the like. Great fun for your military, but train them well.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12613 on: June 22, 2011, 07:17:39 pm »

They are usually refered to as "curious structures", they contain a path straight to the Clown Tent* through a Cotton Candy* sword.

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)

LordShotGun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12614 on: June 22, 2011, 07:27:35 pm »

So they serve no other purpose then empty space filled with mooks?
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 [841] 842 843 ... 1178