Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125342 times)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12510 on: June 19, 2011, 10:47:32 pm »

The back end of a pump will pull water from one z-level below and spit it out onto the level it's on.  So you need to channel a hole in the ground to pull up the water.  A single pump won't pull from a long distance like a well, they're completely unrelated.

Experiment by building one on your map, see what works and what doesn't.  That's probably better for you than any explaining we can do.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12511 on: June 19, 2011, 11:12:56 pm »

how does pump really work ?

do you build them on top of river (like a well) or are you supposed to put them inside the river ?

Sorry, I am quite confused even with the wiki

Pump works by pulling liquid from one Z below, behind the passable tile, to front of the impassable 'pumphead'. It works through open hatches and bridges, as well as through grates. It won't pump liquid on same level, though, it have to be one Z below and accessible.

So you can build them on top of water sources, if you have the support for it, as long as the tile opposite to the impassable tile, to the passable tile, is a channel or hole full of water.

Code: [Select]
.xo~
The . is the hole/pit where water ( or magma ) is, x is the passable, o is the impassable tile, ~ is where the liquid comes out

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12512 on: June 19, 2011, 11:55:14 pm »

Couldn't find the answer to this in the wiki. Can I keep grazing animals alive by caging them? Or do I need to released caged animals to eat every so often? Worried about invaders since I haven't had time to fence off my pastures yet.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12513 on: June 20, 2011, 12:34:50 am »

Is there any way to get rid of FB extract on walls and floors? Also, how do I clean the map of the thousand broken bolts litering the countryside? I know theres a hack for this one but I cant seem to find the name of it on the wiki,

Thanks in advance.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12514 on: June 20, 2011, 01:08:44 am »

Is there any way to get rid of FB extract on walls and floors? Also, how do I clean the map of the thousand broken bolts litering the countryside? I know theres a hack for this one but I cant seem to find the name of it on the wiki,

Thanks in advance.

DFhack has a tool to destroy dumped stuff I think, and clean up blood?  not sure about fb blood though.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12515 on: June 20, 2011, 02:32:43 am »

Couldn't find the answer to this in the wiki. Can I keep grazing animals alive by caging them? Or do I need to released caged animals to eat every so often? Worried about invaders since I haven't had time to fence off my pastures yet.

They'll stay alive but get hungry, starve and then die if they don't get out to eat.  Then you'll have a corpse in a cage that, as far as everything I've tried, can't be removed.

If you can't wall off your pasture quickly enough, you should dig out a large soil area and dig down to the caverns, at which point moss will grow on soil (and muddy stone?) and you can pasture your animals down there.  I think.  I build an indoor pasture but haven't bothered to move everyone over.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12516 on: June 20, 2011, 03:46:48 am »

They'll stay alive but get hungry, starve and then die if they don't get out to eat.  Then you'll have a corpse in a cage that, as far as everything I've tried, can't be removed.

If you can't wall off your pasture quickly enough, you should dig out a large soil area and dig down to the caverns, at which point moss will grow on soil (and muddy stone?) and you can pasture your animals down there.  I think.  I build an indoor pasture but haven't bothered to move everyone over.
Correct, barring certain technical esoterica I cannot comprehend at this hour. I am using underground pastures as we speak.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12517 on: June 20, 2011, 04:05:24 am »

Yes dwarves should automatically clean up floors and walls around your fortress if they have acces to soap. I don't know if the area needs to be designated as a functional room, if you're not getting any results try making the filthy room a meeting area and dwarves should clean it for sure.

If you want more drastic matters you can always give your fortress a good flush by cleaning it with flowing water, just be cautious where you get rid of the contaminated water.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12518 on: June 20, 2011, 04:12:13 am »

Yes dwarves should automatically clean up floors and walls around your fortress if they have acces to soap. I don't know if the area needs to be designated as a functional room, if you're not getting any results try making the filthy room a meeting area and dwarves should clean it for sure.

If you want more drastic matters you can always give your fortress a good flush by cleaning it with flowing water, just be cautious where you get rid of the contaminated water.

I've never seen dwarves clean up walls, outside of being within a tile of floor-cleaning job. I have to deconstruct and reconstruct filthy walls all the time. And they don't need soap for it, unless things' changed since .18.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12519 on: June 20, 2011, 06:30:32 am »

They seem to clean up more often and more effectively if they have soap.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12520 on: June 20, 2011, 07:17:15 am »

Actually, if he's highly skilled, but sucks in a real fight, he could probably do fine as the leader of a teaching squad, giving demonstrations.
TURN OF THE FUCKING PUMP WE HAVE A USE FOR THE CRIPPLES TURN OFF THE PUMPS YOU HAIRY MIDGETS
And in the sig it goes.
tiss my first time sigged :'( sorry i could help it
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #12521 on: June 20, 2011, 08:49:09 am »

Hi there, it's a me again...
So I have my military all set up, with scheduling and all finesse, but my militia commander resorts to go to the finished goods stockpile, put down his steel breastplate and then sit there with the order the schedule specifies for him. SO instead of patroling the parts of the fortress nearest to the caverns, he sits in the Finished goods stockpile... any ideas whats up there? The other mitilary dwarves manage to do their orders just fine, same patrol route as the commander :(

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12522 on: June 20, 2011, 09:03:28 am »

Does the militia commander have any active jobs he can't fulfill?
It seems weird he would sit in one place indefinatly So there's probably some sort of infinte loop going on in that dwarfs head ^^

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12523 on: June 20, 2011, 09:30:59 am »

is he a miner or woodcutter?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12524 on: June 20, 2011, 09:48:41 am »

.... They'll stay alive but get hungry, starve and then die if they don't get out to eat.  Then you'll have a corpse in a cage that, as far as everything I've tried, can't be removed ....

Corpse-cages that land in the "empties" stockpile near my shops generate a "butcher" job, get emptied, and their contents chopped up readily enough. Also, mark the body for dumping and it should get moved to an active dump zone.

edit: early mornings (hah!) and grammar are not good bedfellows for me
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:51:12 am by Aachen »
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.
Pages: 1 ... 833 834 [835] 836 837 ... 1178