Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125379 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12495 on: June 19, 2011, 05:44:41 am »

Is there any way to actively increase the size of trade caravans?  I currently buy everything I could possibly want from each caravan for about three egg roasts and a few exceptional weapons, both of which I own in the thousands (Making a master-work equipped military, woo!)

There are all these way to make items for trading, but I don't really see much point, since I can buy out the caravan anyway.  But I did notice more traders coming than before, which I would assume means more trade-stuffs, which I would assume means there's something causing more of them to come.

So how to I encourage trade?  Do I just offer them a bazillion worth of goods, and expect that to cause them to come back with friends?  Does it have to do with population?  Roads?  Wealth? Something else?

How much they bring has to do with how many animals tag along, since the animals are what carry the stuff.

So, if you were to - say - alter the raws so that donkeys and camels and horses and mules and so on were all able to carry ten times as much, then ten times as much stuff would be brought.

But if you go too crazy, then they bring so much it takes them half a year to unload - and they immediately leave.

As to getting more traders, I'm not sure.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12496 on: June 19, 2011, 06:46:38 am »

Are tame animals supposed to worship gods of their master's civ?

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12497 on: June 19, 2011, 01:44:31 pm »

can crossbow penetrate Shields ?

I just had a (Bloody damb good) goblin survive for a full 20 mins getting rained by 20 crossbowman.
I cant even kill it with arrows and had to send in my warriors to finish him off.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12498 on: June 19, 2011, 01:53:28 pm »

I just had a (Bloody damb good) goblin survive for a full 20 mins getting rained by 20 crossbowman.
I cant even kill it with arrows and had to send in my warriors to finish him off.

Eventually, a bolt or two will get lucky and not get bashed aside, you're just not throwing enough at them!
( no, shields don't get penetrated by anything, as far as I know, it either deflects or misses )

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12499 on: June 19, 2011, 02:25:46 pm »

Eventually, a bolt or two will get lucky and not get bashed aside, you're just not throwing enough at them!
( no, shields don't get penetrated by anything, as far as I know, it either deflects or misses )

Hmm I am running out of bolts already. is Iron Bolts better or should I just stick with Wooden bolts ?

getting to 80+ dwarfs and anywhere outside of my fortress are too dangerous (cant chop tree without getting ambush)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12500 on: June 19, 2011, 02:28:03 pm »

Hmm I am running out of bolts already. is Iron Bolts better or should I just stick with Wooden bolts ?

getting to 80+ dwarfs and anywhere outside of my fortress are too dangerous (cant chop tree without getting ambush)

Wooden bolts are terrible, bones are MUCH better in my experience, being actually deadly, and metal even moreso. Do you have caverns? If you does, you can flood underground sections to make your own tree farms.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12501 on: June 19, 2011, 03:39:19 pm »

Iron is better.
If you have access to silver, you may want to use that, since silver is one of the best bolt materials.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12502 on: June 19, 2011, 03:42:20 pm »

Regarding wound colors in the d_init: How are the colors in colors.txt ordered? Is it 1...2...3... down the line? I'm a bit sick of all the cyan pancreases in the wound lists.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12503 on: June 19, 2011, 04:03:38 pm »

I've got a good question

Due to an unfortunate accident my militia commander has suffered major nerve damage all across his sensory nerves, making him completely numb all over.
Would this mean that I now have a brutal killer of a general who's also immune to any pain? Or is it the contrary and has he been severely crippled?
What does having no sensory nerves do to a soldier?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12504 on: June 19, 2011, 07:03:15 pm »

I've got a good question

Due to an unfortunate accident my militia commander has suffered major nerve damage all across his sensory nerves, making him completely numb all over.
Would this mean that I now have a brutal killer of a general who's also immune to any pain? Or is it the contrary and has he been severely crippled?
What does having no sensory nerves do to a soldier?

Strip a goblin of all it's gear, drop your commander, fully armored with a training weapon in with the goblin.  See how he does.

Keep another military dwarf handy with decent equipment to rescue the commander.  Or not, heh.

If the commander can't fight for crap, turn him into your sheriff, make a jail, and turn off all tasks but feed/water prisoners.

How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12505 on: June 19, 2011, 07:06:58 pm »

or recycle him ;D
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12506 on: June 19, 2011, 07:12:15 pm »

or recycle him ;D

Actually, if he's highly skilled, but sucks in a real fight, he could probably do fine as the leader of a teaching squad, giving demonstrations.  Just don't send him out into a real fight unless it gets really ugly.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12507 on: June 19, 2011, 07:16:44 pm »

what :o ow ow shit ill be back
in the distance
TURN OF THE FUCKING PUMP WE HAVE A USE FOR THE CRIPPLES TURN OFF THE PUMPS YOU HAIRY MIDGETS
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12508 on: June 19, 2011, 08:12:24 pm »

Actually, if he's highly skilled, but sucks in a real fight, he could probably do fine as the leader of a teaching squad, giving demonstrations.
TURN OF THE FUCKING PUMP WE HAVE A USE FOR THE CRIPPLES TURN OFF THE PUMPS YOU HAIRY MIDGETS
And in the sig it goes.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12509 on: June 19, 2011, 09:59:15 pm »

how does pump really work ?

do you build them on top of river (like a well) or are you supposed to put them inside the river ?

Sorry, I am quite confused even with the wiki
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 1178