Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125460 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12435 on: June 16, 2011, 01:27:59 pm »

To anyone that might be interested in the problem I was having I'll post this here, else just skip this post since I'm answering my own question :)

I think I seem to have detected the problem in this pasture, and why I didn't have this problem in my previous one.

I noticed all the fighting, inbetween the same animals, was almost always between infants and mature animals. I made two pastures, one for the little ones and another for the matures and the fighting has all but stopped.
I don't know why this would happen as the creatures are even the same species, but somewhere something is causing a lot of agression.

The reason I never had the problem in my previous fortress is that then I let the newborns chill around in my meeting area wich had some grazing spots, until they were fully grown at wich point they went to the pasture.

Seems weird but there you have it, classic case of poor parenting!

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12436 on: June 16, 2011, 01:59:32 pm »

It happens between 2 adults also... Sorry to disappoint you  :P

1- Question... It seems items to smelt that are in bins are not 'perceived', at least toys and others mfg goods, am I right? I got a job cancellation about that.

2- When an item is smelt, will it provide always a bar?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12437 on: June 16, 2011, 02:03:23 pm »

1- Question... It seems items to smelt that are in bins are not 'perceived', at least toys and others mfg goods, am I right? I got a job cancellation about that.

1 - Odd, I've never had that problem.  Sometimes the Smekter hust takes a really long time to get around to it, but it happens.

2 - No.  Most trinkets are 30-50% of a single bar.  Check the wiki under Melting.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12438 on: June 16, 2011, 02:13:06 pm »

It happens between 2 adults also... Sorry to disappoint you  :P

Not quite in my case

And nope it doesn't always, but I would guess the chance of getting anything back depends on the item you're smelting, and how many bars worth of metal it contains

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12439 on: June 16, 2011, 02:17:52 pm »

Buying steel anvils from caravans, then melting them is nice way to get steel bars.
Whenever you start melting stuff, make sure only 1 smelter is doing it. It seems to do much better in metal retrieved from melting
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12440 on: June 16, 2011, 02:51:41 pm »

thanks for the answers... make more sense...

Do I have a chance to find metal ore in a layer that has limestone?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12441 on: June 16, 2011, 02:55:04 pm »

thanks for the answers... make more sense...

Do I have a chance to find metal ore in a layer that has limestone?

Yes:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Limestone
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12442 on: June 16, 2011, 03:09:28 pm »

I read the wiki before mining... then digged and digged... but nope, not even a copper nugget, so I started to doubt!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12443 on: June 16, 2011, 03:16:17 pm »

I read the wiki before mining... then digged and digged... but nope, not even a copper nugget, so I started to doubt!
Try [MINERAL_SCARCITY:650] or smaller in your worldgen settings. And in the Site Finder choose "shallow metals: multiple" search parameter.
In my experience you usually won't find ores below the first caverns. (I did lots of test embarks after adding 15 new minerals)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12444 on: June 16, 2011, 05:16:19 pm »

Try DFHack's dfprospector-txt.bat utility.  It'll tell you how much of what types of stone, ore, and gemstones you've got, without revealing where they are.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12445 on: June 17, 2011, 12:45:34 am »

much thanks, a neat little utility indeed!

I saw I had only adamantine... I wanted to play with lower quality materials before, so I think I'll restart. I then used reveal and saw how the minerals veins are disposed, this is very instructive...

A question though, I stopped at level 103, why can't I progress below, is it a problem of reveal? I thought I had still 103 levels to check... So I run from level 149 or so to 103... Weird?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12446 on: June 17, 2011, 02:51:27 am »

I saw I had only adamantine... I wanted to play with lower quality materials before, so I think I'll restart. I then used reveal and saw how the minerals veins are disposed, this is very instructive...

You can import low quality materials from caravans if you're just playing around, that's what I does all the time! Well, as long as your civ or other trade partners ( human in vanilla, elves don't carries metals, but they does carries exotic animals ) have the materials.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12447 on: June 17, 2011, 03:06:47 am »

I just had some goblins show up for a siege and I want to make sure I get all my dwarves into the fortress before I raise the drawbridge.  How exactly can I do this?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12448 on: June 17, 2011, 03:10:59 am »

I just had some goblins show up for a siege and I want to make sure I get all my dwarves into the fortress before I raise the drawbridge.  How exactly can I do this?
carefully search all z-levels of the map for dwarfs.

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12449 on: June 17, 2011, 03:11:50 am »

But is there a way I can make them all go to a particular location to wait while I form up the militia?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:14:13 am by InfiniVide »
Pages: 1 ... 828 829 [830] 831 832 ... 1178