Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125602 times)

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12405 on: June 15, 2011, 03:15:48 pm »

Is there "soft" way to change the font colour associated with a certain profession? I've trouble reading dark blue text, and would like to change fish workers, axedorfs and such to something more friendlier to my eyes. I perused some text files and only found how to change the colour of wounds.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12406 on: June 15, 2011, 04:51:49 pm »

There definitely is a way, so fear not; I'll be back with the answer in a few minutes, if I'm not ninja'd.

EDIT: The file you're looking for is colors.txt. Go into your DF folder, then into "data", then into "init". You should find it there. I know there are some people who've made alternate color packs to replace the original values in this file, so I'll try to find one of those.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:54:56 pm by tfaal »
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12407 on: June 15, 2011, 06:11:59 pm »

EDIT: The file you're looking for is colors.txt. Go into your DF folder, then into "data", then into "init". You should find it there. I know there are some people who've made alternate color packs to replace the original values in this file, so I'll try to find one of those.
I like the Natural Scheme, found at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Color_schemes
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12408 on: June 15, 2011, 08:29:28 pm »

Thank you guys, I'm gonna try Lee's scheme after dealing with these pesky gobbos.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone Piles and Quantum Storage
« Reply #12409 on: June 15, 2011, 10:18:58 pm »

Hi All,

I'm trying to do something that looks like its not possible, but perhaps I'm just doing it wrong, hence the question here.

I have a quantum stockpile (a one-square garbage dump) that I dump most of my excess stone into, via the d-b-d command and marking the whole area that has been recently dug out. That works fine, and I occasionally reclaim the stuff in the dump to make it accessible to the stone mason.

What I also want is to have a small stone stockpile that idle dwarves will go and retrieve cut stone into when they have nothing better to do, especially from places like stairwells and alike that are messy to mark for mass dump due to the multiple z levels.

What I want to do then is dump all the stone from the pile when it fills up, to repeat the process all over again.

The problem I have is that once I've dumped from the stone pile, rather than getting stone from distant diggings, the haulers just go to the dump zone and bring it back to the pile, which defeats the purpose.
Other than temporarily forbidding everything in the dump zone, is there a way to get this to work?

Thanks.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Piles and Quantum Storage
« Reply #12410 on: June 15, 2011, 10:44:28 pm »

Hi All,

I'm trying to do something that looks like its not possible, but perhaps I'm just doing it wrong, hence the question here.

I have a quantum stockpile (a one-square garbage dump) that I dump most of my excess stone into, via the d-b-d command and marking the whole area that has been recently dug out. That works fine, and I occasionally reclaim the stuff in the dump to make it accessible to the stone mason.

What I also want is to have a small stone stockpile that idle dwarves will go and retrieve cut stone into when they have nothing better to do, especially from places like stairwells and alike that are messy to mark for mass dump due to the multiple z levels.

What I want to do then is dump all the stone from the pile when it fills up, to repeat the process all over again.

The problem I have is that once I've dumped from the stone pile, rather than getting stone from distant diggings, the haulers just go to the dump zone and bring it back to the pile, which defeats the purpose.
Other than temporarily forbidding everything in the dump zone, is there a way to get this to work?

Thanks.

Nope, if you unforbid the dumped stone, the dwarves will use the stone to fill the stockpile.  Unless the newly dug out stone is much closer than the quantum stockpile.

What you might try doing is just building masonry shops right next to inconveniently messy areas and turning all the odd stones into blocks, which would go to a different stockpile, and be worth more for construction if you do a lot of construction projects.

Or craftdwarf workshops, and make crafts for trade to cleanup.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:48:53 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12411 on: June 16, 2011, 12:30:20 am »

block vs stone...

Are they things I can't do with blocks, in comparison to raw stones? Or can I safely process all stones into blocks?

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12412 on: June 16, 2011, 12:33:32 am »

block vs stone...

Are they things I can't do with blocks, in comparison to raw stones? Or can I safely process all stones into blocks?
Blocks can only be used in constructions, Walls, Floors, Staircases, Workshops, etc.  You can't later carve them into crafts or tools.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12413 on: June 16, 2011, 03:03:23 am »

Hi All,

Thanks.

Set a stone stockpile where the stone dump is, I does this fairly routinely and they don't 'spread' out the stones that's piled up on the stockpile, unless the stockpile is being taken by another stockpile.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12414 on: June 16, 2011, 03:46:57 am »

Hi All,

Thanks.

Set a stone stockpile where the stone dump is, I does this fairly routinely and they don't 'spread' out the stones that's piled up on the stockpile, unless the stockpile is being taken by another stockpile.

o.0

I had never even considered overlapping like that.  Makes perfect sense.  Good Call.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12415 on: June 16, 2011, 03:58:50 am »

So just to check I understand... If I put a one-square stone stockpile on top on my one-square dump, my haulers can keep taking stone to the pile, but it gets treated as dumped, so they can keep filling the one-square pile over and over?

Or do I need to user a larger area of dump/pile to make this work?

Thanks.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12416 on: June 16, 2011, 04:14:26 am »

So just to check I understand... If I put a one-square stone stockpile on top on my one-square dump, my haulers can keep taking stone to the pile, but it gets treated as dumped, so they can keep filling the one-square pile over and over?

Thanks.
No, that's not how it works.
Instead, your dumpers dump stone to the quantum stockpile, then you unfobid it.
If there isn't a regular stone stockpile under the dump, your haulers think: "hey, there's some unforbidden stone out of the pile, let's haul it to some free space."
If there is, they do not consider that dumped&unforbidden stone to be tasked for hauling, because it's already in the stockpile.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12417 on: June 16, 2011, 04:28:33 am »

Whats really weird is that this doesnt seem to work properly for ammunition.  My bolt return never quite worked :(
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12418 on: June 16, 2011, 04:44:53 am »

Thanks.
No, that's not how it works.
Instead, your dumpers dump stone to the quantum stockpile, then you unfobid it.
If there isn't a regular stone stockpile under the dump, your haulers think: "hey, there's some unforbidden stone out of the pile, let's haul it to some free space."
If there is, they do not consider that dumped&unforbidden stone to be tasked for hauling, because it's already in the stockpile.

Ahhh... OK. I see. So they wont try and take the dumped/reclaimed stone back to the larger stone stockpile I already have, and instead will happily wander off into the far reaches of my fortress to seek out stone that hasn't been marked for dumping to add to my pile. Which I can then dump without them going back to the dump to refill the pile.

Like most things in DF its clear in hindsight. :)

Thanks for your help.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12419 on: June 16, 2011, 05:55:31 am »

Whats really weird is that this doesnt seem to work properly for ammunition.  My bolt return never quite worked :(

Bins makes them want to collect everything into it, might that be the problem?
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 1178