Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 825 826 [827] 828 829 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125523 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12390 on: June 14, 2011, 10:18:12 pm »

Has any science been done to determine whether Pastures are better for your FPS than just letting them run free?

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #12391 on: June 14, 2011, 10:18:28 pm »

Do chicks (baby chickens) give... anything when butchered? I'm going to have to kill lots of chickens to de-screw over my framerate, and I want to know if the chicks give enough that it'd be worth my time to butcher them instead of just atomsmashing them.
Or you could, you know, cage 'em.  Let 'em grow up, then butcher 'em.
Well, I have all my chicks caged... but my framerate is still crap...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12392 on: June 14, 2011, 10:46:31 pm »

Has any science been done to determine whether Pastures are better for your FPS than just letting them run free?

If you don't pasture your tamed grazers, they'll die.

Which will certainly be better for your framerate.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12393 on: June 14, 2011, 11:18:20 pm »

But not your refuse pile, since tame creatures can't be butchered.  You'll just have a bunch of useless corpses.  I'd say butcher them anyway, they'll give your butcher some experience and don't create a hauling nightmare like butchering a forgotten beast.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12394 on: June 14, 2011, 11:42:00 pm »

But not your refuse pile, since tame creatures can't be butchered.  You'll just have a bunch of useless corpses.  I'd say butcher them anyway, they'll give your butcher some experience and don't create a hauling nightmare like butchering a forgotten beast.

Dump-and-atomsmash is a good way to clear up the pile.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

gonzilla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12395 on: June 15, 2011, 02:34:55 am »

Hey all, first time posting on the forums. Player new to the game, currently on 3rd fortress (first one was learning the game, quite a mess. second tried out danger rooms, considered it cheating/abuse and restarted as i wasnt 100% happy with fortress design and embark point anyway.)

A few questions regarding military:
My military units are constantly yellow/light orange in happyness for their long stationing/training. had the limit of 2 dwarves min on 6 man strong squads but it seems even if they arnt training the marking of every month as a training month seemed to affect their moods.
Im looking for the maximum amount of months in a year I can set them to train without negitively affecting their moods (with some kind of rotation in place between the units as to who is on "holiday") as well as to how this would be accomplished easiest? ie. can it be done in the training schedule screen or must i manually set their alert to inactive/training for each squad?

Also have heard about pump operation gyms to help boost the miliary might in off periods, is the skill increase as ludicris as danger rooms? would like to help them gain skill a little faster than barracks training alone but in a realistic/non game mechanic abusing way.

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:34:27 am by gonzilla »

RadGH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12396 on: June 15, 2011, 03:51:33 am »

I made a 1x1 pasture for each of my dwarf's pets in their owner's room, this did in fact increase my FPS (likely due to the reduced amount of path-finding). The amount gained isn't very significant, but it is noticeable. It also depends on how many pets you have, of course. The fortress that I first tried this with had 'probably' 45 pets (A few people had multiple pets). It took forever to find each room and assign the pet, though. But in the end, setting my maximum dwarves to 75 was the best FPS boost (I highly recommend it). Also, by making pets reside in the dwarf's room, you can completely remove the issue "Dorf cancels Something Useful: Creature blocking site". And you know, those 125 extra dwarves weren't particularly useful.
PS: Use a 3x3 embark zone. It's enough room for just about anything, and it's not as small as you would expect. 2x2 would work too, but usually thats hard to get enough variety of biomes/resources/water sources

A few questions regarding military:
My military units are constantly yellow/light orange in happyness for their long stationing/training. had the limit of 2 dwarves min on 6 man strong squads but it seems even if they arnt training the marking of every month as a training month seemed to affect their moods.
Im looking for the maximum amount of months in a year I can set them to train without negitively affecting their moods (with some kind of rotation in place between the units as to who is on "holiday") as well as to how this would be accomplished easiest? ie. can it be done in the training schedule screen or must i manually set their alert to inactive/training for each squad.

The configuration I used in my last decent sized military was:

7 dwarves per squad (2 spear, 3 hammer, 2 marksdwarf)
Squad 1: Train, Patrol, Off Duty
Squad 2: Off Duty, Train, Patrol
Squad 3: Patrol, Off Duty, Train
Minimum 3 dwarves for patrol and training

That way, one squad was active for each of the above. Everyone had some actuall off-duty, rather than being able to take breaks. I still had one dwarf in particular who had negative attributes towards fighting, and she would often get very upset and threw a tantrum once. I decided to make her kill a Draltha near a magma vein, while practicing dodge skill remove her from the military altogether.

Aside from the especially moody dwarf, there weren't any issues. I think personality traits might be an issue for some, and work in favor for others.

Also have heard about pump operation gyms to help boost the miliary might in off periods, is the skill increase as ludicris as danger rooms? would like to help them gain skill a little faster than danger rooms but in a realistic/non game mechanic abusing way.

I've never done it, but considering how quickly dwarves tire from pumping I'm sure the rate is quite good. I agree with you on danger rooms, they are absolutely exploiting. May as well mod the goblins to use training swords, but at least they can still bite. Another alternative is to make them miners, as they get very strong while being productive. You can also make a 4/7 pool and order them to patrol through it, this will safely train their swimming skill and I think their agility/endurance. (Note: I've only read about it, and haven't actually tried it myself)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:53:49 am by RadGH »

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12397 on: June 15, 2011, 04:38:14 am »

The very kid who just announced a party decided not to show up: "cancel attend party: no floor space" What on earth is no floor space supposed to mean? My dining room where it should take place is sure big enough and not crowded at all and right now that kid is in an almost empty 11x11 room all by himself.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12398 on: June 15, 2011, 10:26:03 am »

I've not had problems with domestic animals starting fights over a tight space before, I usually make a pasture large enough to fit all my animals and another large margin of space just to be sure.

And it shouldn't be a problem this time, but these birds seem hell bent on making each others life miserable. They have a pretty big pasture, but for some reason they're cluttering up in a corner taking only about 1/4th of the pastures total area.
I should note I have 2 species walking around on the pasture, if it matters.

I'm already sorting out a larger area for them to live in, but I'd still like to know: why are these birds cluttering together on one tile starting fights when there's enough room for all?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12399 on: June 15, 2011, 10:31:14 am »

I figure the explenation is a little cryptic, and a picture says more then a thousand words so here's the pasture in question.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The red tiles are where the birds have been mostly grazing and bunching up, it's red sand, and also a bit of red from bloodspatters here and there.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12400 on: June 15, 2011, 10:58:14 am »

Make 4 smaller pastures on the same space and assign 1/4 of the birds to each pasture. That should solve the cluttering problem and hopefully the killing spree problem.

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12401 on: June 15, 2011, 11:01:32 am »

Woops, I fucked up. I'll fix this later.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:47:48 pm by Evaristo Carriego »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12402 on: June 15, 2011, 11:04:41 am »

I'm already sorting out a larger area for them to live in, but I'd still like to know: why are these birds cluttering together on one tile starting fights when there's enough room for all?
Pathing defaults to upper left corner, I guess that's their reason. Imperfect pasture algorithm, in other words.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12403 on: June 15, 2011, 11:07:21 am »

That's weird, since I had a big pasture with a lot more beasties on my previous fort and I never had that problem, they spread out nice and evenly. Guess I'll make 4 pastures and see what happens.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12404 on: June 15, 2011, 01:50:59 pm »

I've not had problems with domestic animals starting fights over a tight space before, I usually make a pasture large enough to fit all my animals and another large margin of space just to be sure.

And it shouldn't be a problem this time, but these birds seem hell bent on making each others life miserable. They have a pretty big pasture, but for some reason they're cluttering up in a corner taking only about 1/4th of the pastures total area.
I should note I have 2 species walking around on the pasture, if it matters.

The tame animals that are pets seem to gather near the closest place to passing dwarves where they can still be in their pasture.  I can think of a couple reasons why this might be.

If you are having difficulty with inter-animal conflict, split up the pastures and separate the animals a bit.

I also keep cats and dogs in their own, completely separate 10x10 "pastures" in rooms underground with multidoor airlocks to keep them in.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 825 826 [827] 828 829 ... 1178