Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125637 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12375 on: June 14, 2011, 04:30:39 am »

Are enemies supposed to disappear if they get out of sight while fleeing?

I have a bunch of uncompleted missions because I start fighting the target, mess them up, and they run off faster than me and then disappear. One of them had no feet! I don't know how they can run hella fast without feet!

Edit: Can they hide, maybe? I just tried to sneak accidentally (caps lock ><) and it said someone could see me, but as far as I can tell I am alone. The only things around me are corpses and bags.
No they do not disappear neither hide. I think in adv mode noone but you ever hides at all.
I they just run away, and you can't chase them because you are winded/prone/sneaking/encumbered/whatever slows you.
Also, animals see much further than you, so even if you can see nothing that doesn't mean they don't eatch you. Take shelter somewhere and then you'll be able to hide.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12376 on: June 14, 2011, 09:32:08 am »

Occasionally some of my dwarves are losing all their labor designations and standing around doing nothing. Seems to be the same dwarves every time.

My question is, is this somehow my fault, a bug with DF, or a bug with dwarf therapist (as it only lists compatibility with up to version .21)?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:50:20 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12377 on: June 14, 2011, 10:08:44 am »

Occasionally some of my dwarves are losing all their labor designations and standing around doing nothing. Seems to be the same dwarves every time.

My question is, is this somehow my fault, a bug with DF, or a bug with dwarf therapist (as it only lists compatibility with up to version .21)?

I've seen it reported as a bug with the therapist elsewhere, try manually assigning the bugged dwarves' jobs next time they acts up

obradenj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12378 on: June 14, 2011, 10:19:43 am »

dos grass grow back i have some randy horses and there kids they seem to be making ugly looking red patches where nice grass once grew i know the depleat it but will it ever grow back or is it ugly forever ?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12379 on: June 14, 2011, 10:21:20 am »

Grass disappears when people or creatures walk on it (by what amount is defined in the raws). As long as you keep beings from walking there, it will grow back again.
Love, scriver~

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12380 on: June 14, 2011, 10:23:05 am »

It won't grow back on mountains, though
(Which is a shame : Mountain valleys are traditionnal grazing ground for cattle)

obradenj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12381 on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:25 am »

will the biome bordering it grow grass back ? and is there anything i can do to make mountain grass grow back ?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12382 on: June 14, 2011, 12:18:31 pm »

yes I dont know

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12383 on: June 14, 2011, 01:49:25 pm »

What's the best use for adamantite, axes or swords? I'm guessing swords, as they have 2/4 slash attacks, while axes have 1/3. Unless fortress mode dorfs use their weapons' primary attack only. On a side note, adamantite shields would perform poorly, right?

(...) The cloak is also the only armour piece for a bunch of weird locations like fingers and toes.

What are gauntlets / gloves and boots for, then?

My main use of leather armour is on the 10 or so squads of drafted haulers.  They never train or fight, its just a convenient way to armour your seige cleanup crew while letting them run away fast :)

Is there a way to clothe civilians without having to draft them to your military first?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12384 on: June 14, 2011, 04:49:48 pm »

Both axes and swords work, I would go with axes since they seem to have a greater chance of severing limbs.
Bluemetal sheilds would be worthless as a weapon, but are very light, so they don't slow down your dwarves. They are exactly as effective at blocking as all shields.

Gauntlets and boots cover the hands/feet, as well as the lower arm/wrist and, for high boots, lower leg.

I don't know of a way to clothe civvies without drafting them.

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12385 on: June 14, 2011, 05:23:59 pm »

What's the best use for adamantite, axes or swords? I'm guessing swords, as they have 2/4 slash attacks, while axes have 1/3. Unless fortress mode dorfs use their weapons' primary attack only. On a side note, adamantite shields would perform poorly, right?

Ya you'll never give out more than bruises with a blue shield. The best way I've found to raise Misc Obj User skill is to have dwarves wrestle unarmed prisoners with no weapon and a shield equipped (pref a wooden shield).

My question: what am I supposed to do with caged tamed small animals? They just take up precious space in my stockpiles and I can't butcher the vermin inside.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12386 on: June 14, 2011, 05:27:52 pm »

My question: what am I supposed to do with caged tamed small animals? They just take up precious space in my stockpiles and I can't butcher the vermin inside.
Build a cage somewhere in a public place in the fortress.  Stick all the tamed small animals in it.  Dwarves who walk by will get a happy thought if any of the creatures they like are in it.  Additionally, dwarves who see a creature they detest in the cage will get an unhappy thought, so you may want to build a separate cage somewhere else to house the rats and cockroaches and such.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12387 on: June 14, 2011, 09:16:51 pm »

Build a cage somewhere in a public place in the fortress.  Stick all the tamed small animals in it.  Dwarves who walk by will get a happy thought if any of the creatures they like are in it.  Additionally, dwarves who see a creature they detest in the cage will get an unhappy thought, so you may want to build a separate cage somewhere else to house the rats and cockroaches and such.
Build a cage out of wood, shove them all in there, then atomsmash it.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Turnoverman

• Bay Watcher
  • So how are you holding up? Because I'm a mushroom.
    • View Profile
    • Trope Overdosed - A Webcomic Dedicated To TVtropes.org
« Reply #12388 on: June 14, 2011, 09:57:39 pm »

Do chicks (baby chickens) give... anything when butchered? I'm going to have to kill lots of chickens to de-screw over my framerate, and I want to know if the chicks give enough that it'd be worth my time to butcher them instead of just atomsmashing them.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12389 on: June 14, 2011, 10:09:03 pm »

Do chicks (baby chickens) give... anything when butchered? I'm going to have to kill lots of chickens to de-screw over my framerate, and I want to know if the chicks give enough that it'd be worth my time to butcher them instead of just atomsmashing them.
Or you could, you know, cage 'em.  Let 'em grow up, then butcher 'em.
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 1178