Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125765 times)

Zhaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12315 on: June 11, 2011, 09:20:51 am »

Damned Dorf hasn't collected anything left and I have plenty of all 3 cloths as well as copper (as is his like both in block bar and ore form...)

As I said it usually doesn't bother me but this time I cannot figure out what it is I am missing, once I figure it out I wont care so much... I dislike not knowing why I failed it though -.-
Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a full wagon of gas, half a pick of cigarettes, it's dark down there, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Catten: Hit it.
Damn you vile character limit!!!

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12316 on: June 11, 2011, 09:44:36 am »

Hmmm... Square Blocks, huh?  Stone and Metal are fine, but they aren't the only kind of blocks.

Did you have any wooden blocks?  Glass blocks?  Clay bricks?  I don't know if any of those show up as square blocks, though, or if they're claimed for moods at all.  Never seen a Dwarf claim a kiln, for instance.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: June 11, 2011, 12:15:18 pm »

Is there an easy way to see a list of the things a dwarf owns?

Related to this: is there any quick way to find out where a dwarf's bedroom is?  I sometimes find owned clothing lying around the fortress, and I'd like to find the owner's bedroom so I can give him another cabinet if need be (or verify that he already has one, and that it's not "full" whatever full means, and that therefore he's just a lazy elf-lover).  The only way I know to find the owner's bedroom is to go through all my bedrooms manually until I find it.

The (R)ooms list will give you a list of the designated rooms and who owns it (note capital R), and once you find your dude in the list, press t to zoom to building items (the bed for a bedroom, the chair for an office, etc.), or q to zoom to building tasks.  Pressing q for a bedroom takes you to that room ready to Assign, Free, Resize, and so forth.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: June 11, 2011, 05:23:52 pm »

I forget how to check what a dwarf has in its inventory.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12319 on: June 11, 2011, 05:25:10 pm »

[v]iew the unit and press [-i-] for inventory.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12320 on: June 11, 2011, 06:15:23 pm »

A related question. My Dwarves are insisting on loading something into a bin outside. I don't know what, but I have received the message: "Urust cancels store item in Bin, drop-off point inaccessible" seven times today.

Is there any way to preempt this god-damned job?

Nick
Forbid the bin?
Easier said then done.

I have no idea where the bin in question is. Presumably it belonged to a merchant who died in an ambush, and only got unforbidden when I decided to mine the goblinite from his ambusher's corpses. So it's almost certainly covered by several pools of goblin and troll blood, and probably buried under a couple dozen corpses, etc.

Fortunately that error seems to have disappeared, presumeably because whatever needed putting in the bin got something else done to it. Now I;ve just got spam from idiot dorfs who have claimed goblin socks. They're not gonna get 'em for a long time -- there's a siege, and it has a page and a half of goblin bowman.

Nick

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12321 on: June 11, 2011, 07:01:27 pm »

How do I set eggs as forbidden so I can actualy breed my chikens instead of having the bastards eat all the eggs? I figured i could hit q and forbid. but the next box is currently unclaimed and has no option to forbid.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: June 11, 2011, 07:21:28 pm »

You can forbid them from cooking once you have some from the stocks-kitchen menu. They might still get hauled, so I usually put nest boxes in locked rooms to keep the dwarves away.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #12323 on: June 11, 2011, 07:30:39 pm »

How do I set eggs as forbidden so I can actualy breed my chikens instead of having the bastards eat all the eggs? I figured i could hit q and forbid. but the next box is currently unclaimed and has no option to forbid.

I forgot how, but CapnDuck's video tutorial for the latest version tells how to do that.  It's 2.5 hrs long, though, and I don't feel like going back through to find it.

Maybe forbid eggs in your food stockpile?  Then no one would touch them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12324 on: June 11, 2011, 08:26:38 pm »

First, don't have any food stockpiles that accept the eggs of the type of creature you're trying to breed.

Secondly, go to your Kitchen menu and disable cooking of the eggs of that creature.

Forbid the eggs of that creature when they're laid to make sure they don't get moved anyway.

Optionally, lock the door to the room the egg-layers are in.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: June 11, 2011, 08:43:32 pm »

Technically, you only need to do number 3 on Sphalerite's list, but it can be damn tricky to catch the eggs while they're still in the nest box before a dwarf nabs'em. If you really want to breed birds, you can also have zero built nest boxes (common when first embarking, or by manually removing them later,) wait a season or two, and then rebuild them. At this point all the lady birds will rush towards them, and you can easily forbid eggs as they are laid.

Bear in mind that, given 0% infant mortality rate, unrestricted bird breeding can be like an early, unexpected catsplosion of delicious proportions.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: June 11, 2011, 10:31:53 pm »

First, don't have any food stockpiles that accept the eggs of the type of creature you're trying to breed.

Secondly, go to your Kitchen menu and disable cooking of the eggs of that creature.

Forbid the eggs of that creature when they're laid to make sure they don't get moved anyway.

Optionally, lock the door to the room the egg-layers are in.
There simplified it.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: June 12, 2011, 06:58:31 am »

A Dwarven diplomat visited my fortress, and this time I accepted becoming a barony. I nominated my mayor, but not before pimping his bedrooms to what would please a Duke. After that I normally requested wood and leather from next year's caravan, but my mayor is still mayor, and I don't have a baron. How come?  ??? Oh, I don't think I bothered to wait for diplomat to tell me what they want, and leave. They're getting crafts, roasts, goblin trash and large gems anyway.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: June 12, 2011, 08:56:05 am »

My mayor is still mayor, and I don't have a baron. How come?

Give it time. The diplomat has to get home. I'm not entirely sure if it only occurs next autumn, but I know that it certainly doesn't happen instantly.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: June 12, 2011, 09:13:20 am »

Is there any way to set a batch file to generate worlds while I'm afk?

I used to use the following :

for /L %%i in (10,1,30) do start /wait /high "" "dwarf fortress" -gen %%i RANDOM [worldgenparameters]

But now, it pauses with every world and I have to hit enter to make it accept. Any way to turn that off or make it auto-accept so that I can generate lots of worlds at a go?
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 1178