Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 819 820 [821] 822 823 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125836 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12300 on: June 10, 2011, 06:38:00 pm »

They're just so eager to get back to bookkeeping that they forget to put it back after drinking and don't realise they have it. Soldiers sometimes do the same.

Though I prefer to pretend they're sipping from it while doing their work. God knows it must be hard to get through a bookkeeping day without alcohol.
Love, scriver~

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Labours?
« Reply #12301 on: June 10, 2011, 07:25:34 pm »

Hi all,

I recently defeated all the goblins and trolls that were sieging me, and bulks claimed all the stuff on their bodies.
As usual all my idle dwarfs ran out of the fortress to collect the stuff, but this time 10 of them were still left idle.
I was curious, so I selected the "u" option and scrolled down the list, and sure enough there were 10 dwarves, apparently at random, with no jobs. When I selected them they had no labours enabled at all.
Sometimes I had turned off the main labour on my Trader, but that's all.

What happened to them? Was it something I did?

I reset them to have the labours they should had based on their skills, plus the usual hauling and healthcare, but its a puzzle as to why I had to.

I've had this in the past with my army dwarves, especially once they hit legendary and/or become Axe Lords/Sword Masters/Etc. After combat, they'll disable all their labors and then slack off somewhere until I turn 'em back on. As far as I can tell, it's just a thing that happens. Possibly a remnant of 40d when "the champion need not work".

Okay, that will be the cause then. I had recently started using a danger room because the standard barracks training and sparring was producing poor results even after years of it.
Just about all of my military are "lord" status now.

It has happened a few times since - I'll just watch for idle dwarfs more now, and try and keep my military active all the time, even if the non-Lords do complain a bit.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:31:07 pm by PenguinHero »

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12302 on: June 10, 2011, 07:33:41 pm »

okay, I'm trying to build a magma-lock system >> the idea being that in uber emergencies, my dwarves can throw a switch, and all the compartmentalized parts of my fort will seal themselves. Then I can just have my miners burrow back through to the safe areas to keep the fortress running, while all the nasty demons and forgotten beasts are safely locked inside their own tiny compartment and unable to get out.

The system is simple.
have magma-safe 4 flood gates. These lock up a 2x2 area so that water and magma can't flow into one another inside of it (this would be the small halls connecting compartments of my fortress), when released, four more pop up locking the area in and allowing the water and magma to mix and form obsidian in those 4 squares. The make up of the squares makes it VERY unlikely that the hallway won't be completely sealed (diagnols and all that) so it all works for the best.

My question is this. If the magma and water mix together and form obsidian where the floodgate is. Does it have to be mined out in order for the floodgates to close? If so, I'll need to add some interior flood gates (or pumps or something) to control the amount of water and magma released into the magma-locks and ensure that the obsidian can be mined safely without having to worry about losing miner and dwarves as the excess floods out into the chambers >>
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12303 on: June 10, 2011, 07:39:56 pm »

I may be mistaken, but I think that if water and magma mix in the tile the floodgate is in, the floodgate will be destroyed.  Not only won't you be able to close it with the obsidian there, you won't be able to close it even when the obsidian is removed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Zhaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12304 on: June 10, 2011, 10:44:21 pm »

I have this mood on a save and usually it doesn't bother me if I fail one (generally because of glass heh... I hate glass -.-)
Anyway, as far as i can tell I have all of these items, several of each I assumed from square blocks up twice they want rock and metal blocks so a made about 5 copper and iron blocks to attempt to not lose my dorf. Now I cannot figure out what possible item I am missing here any ideas?

Square Blocks                      -20 or so obsidian and slate blocks
Rough Gems                        -155 rough gems
Shining Bars of Metal            - 25 metal bars (various)
Forest                                -1000 ish wood logs
Square Blocks                      - 13 metal blocks
Stacked Cloth                      -164 cloth
Stacked Leather                  - 56 leather
Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a full wagon of gas, half a pick of cigarettes, it's dark down there, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Catten: Hit it.
Damn you vile character limit!!!

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12305 on: June 10, 2011, 11:59:14 pm »

Is hunter an assignable skill at embark because I'm not seeing it anywhere.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12306 on: June 11, 2011, 12:01:05 am »

Is hunter an assignable skill at embark because I'm not seeing it anywhere.
It is called ambush there. Free xbow and ammo included to make up for the confusion.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12307 on: June 11, 2011, 12:17:10 am »

What should I do if my embark is almost completely flat?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Zhaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12308 on: June 11, 2011, 12:31:35 am »

Build a wall?
 :P
Jokes aside that is entirely up to you, you can channel a pit and start your fort underground or choose a new location.

Or make an above ground fort o.0
Urist: It's 106 miles from the mountainhomes, we got a full wagon of gas, half a pick of cigarettes, it's dark down there, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Catten: Hit it.
Damn you vile character limit!!!

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12309 on: June 11, 2011, 01:33:46 am »

I have this mood on a save and usually it doesn't bother me if I fail one (generally because of glass heh... I hate glass -.-)
Anyway, as far as i can tell I have all of these items, several of each I assumed from square blocks up twice they want rock and metal blocks so a made about 5 copper and iron blocks to attempt to not lose my dorf. Now I cannot figure out what possible item I am missing here any ideas?

Square Blocks                      -20 or so obsidian and slate blocks
Rough Gems                        -155 rough gems
Shining Bars of Metal            - 25 metal bars (various)
Forest                                -1000 ish wood logs
Square Blocks                      - 13 metal blocks
Stacked Cloth                      -164 cloth
Stacked Leather                  - 56 leather

go to Manager, look at the dorf, and look at what damned object he has in list.
make more of those objects.
he wants the same exact things probably.
(maybe he took 1 adamantium wafers and wants more
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12310 on: June 11, 2011, 02:08:02 am »

What are bookkeepers doing when they drag a barrel full of beer to their desk?

Are they actually drinking it, or are they just staring at it to figure out how much is in it?

If I had to balance the books for a dwarven fortress, I'd surely need a drink too.

I think the job can take so long that Toady lets them carry a drink in so they don't die of thirst in the middle of the job.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12311 on: June 11, 2011, 02:45:00 am »

Build a wall?
 :P
Jokes aside that is entirely up to you, you can channel a pit and start your fort underground or choose a new location.

Or make an above ground fort o.0

you could dig down one, then build underground on the extremities, THEN make a cavein where the entrance was, THEN dig till the end of the map, and wait hoping that caravans decide to spawn there underground and not above.
as will enemies.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12312 on: June 11, 2011, 03:33:43 am »

I may be mistaken, but I think that if water and magma mix in the tile the floodgate is in, the floodgate will be destroyed.  Not only won't you be able to close it with the obsidian there, you won't be able to close it even when the obsidian is removed.
If the floodgate and mechanism were magma safe they'll be encased, once they are mined out they'll be recoverable but deconstructed.

Atleast I think the mechanism is recoverable.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12313 on: June 11, 2011, 06:33:09 am »

I have this mood

Use (t) to see what he has already collected inside the workshop.  Whatever is at the bottom of the list is the thing he most recently collected.  He will either want another one of those, or he will want whatever item follows those in his list of demands.

As far as cloth goes, there are three kinds: plant fiber, silk, and animal wool.  He could want any of the three kinds, so if you're missing one, it could be the one he wants.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12314 on: June 11, 2011, 06:39:30 am »

Also, request for metal bars may be a request for the specific metal listed in his likes (v-z).  Not always, but sometimes.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.
Pages: 1 ... 819 820 [821] 822 823 ... 1178