Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125840 times)

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12270 on: June 09, 2011, 08:19:43 pm »

Can dwarves create artifact tools with strange moods?  Or only weapons, crafts, toys, etc.?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12271 on: June 09, 2011, 08:29:20 pm »

Picks & Axes are weapons.

Or were you thinking of some other tool? ('cos I can't think of any others that dorfs use, but I'm a bit sedated by my sedative).

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12272 on: June 09, 2011, 08:46:04 pm »

Picks & Axes are weapons.

Or were you thinking of some other tool? ('cos I can't think of any others that dorfs use, but I'm a bit sedated by my sedative).
Nest Boxes

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12274 on: June 10, 2011, 12:51:19 am »

Is there an easy way to see a list of the things a dwarf owns?

I just decided to take a 20-30 year break from interacting with the outside world and locked my gate, but Minkot Nimakimush really wants to store an owned item.

Nick

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12275 on: June 10, 2011, 01:05:04 am »

A related question. My Dwarves are insisting on loading something into a bin outside. I don't know what, but I have received the message: "Urust cancels store item in Bin, drop-off point inaccessible" seven times today.

Is there any way to preempt this god-damned job?

Nick

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Labours?
« Reply #12276 on: June 10, 2011, 01:16:50 am »

Hi all,

I recently defeated all the goblins and trolls that were sieging me, and bulks claimed all the stuff on their bodies.
As usual all my idle dwarfs ran out of the fortress to collect the stuff, but this time 10 of them were still left idle.
I was curious, so I selected the "u" option and scrolled down the list, and sure enough there were 10 dwarves, apparently at random, with no jobs. When I selected them they had no labours enabled at all.
Sometimes I had turned off the main labour on my Trader, but that's all.

What happened to them? Was it something I did?

I reset them to have the labours they should had based on their skills, plus the usual hauling and healthcare, but its a puzzle as to why I had to.

I've had this in the past with my army dwarves, especially once they hit legendary and/or become Axe Lords/Sword Masters/Etc. After combat, they'll disable all their labors and then slack off somewhere until I turn 'em back on. As far as I can tell, it's just a thing that happens. Possibly a remnant of 40d when "the champion need not work".

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Labours?
« Reply #12277 on: June 10, 2011, 03:04:42 am »

Hi all,

I recently defeated all the goblins and trolls that were sieging me, and bulks claimed all the stuff on their bodies.
As usual all my idle dwarfs ran out of the fortress to collect the stuff, but this time 10 of them were still left idle.
I was curious, so I selected the "u" option and scrolled down the list, and sure enough there were 10 dwarves, apparently at random, with no jobs. When I selected them they had no labours enabled at all.
Sometimes I had turned off the main labour on my Trader, but that's all.

What happened to them? Was it something I did?

I reset them to have the labours they should had based on their skills, plus the usual hauling and healthcare, but its a puzzle as to why I had to.
Or maybe they were kids who grew up without you noticing. Nothing but some farming skill would hint at this.

Question of my own:
I just had a really impressive artifact robe made, which I'd like to give that fighter who just survived against all odds and is already back on training despite not being able to stand. But one of its two images is of a dwarf surrounded by blood gnats and my hero detests blood gnats - will wearing the most expensive thing in the fortress offset constantly seeing something he explicitly dislikes? I vaguely recall reading that dwarfs wont give up artifact gear again, so I'm a bit afraid of "locking" him in there.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12278 on: June 10, 2011, 06:31:40 am »

I searched the wiki and the forums, but i cant seem to find any workaround for the goblins-who-wont-abandon-their-leader-even-when-he-is-trapped bug. Is there any known workaround for this? I am willing to cheat...
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12279 on: June 10, 2011, 06:40:59 am »

Kill the goblins with your danger room trained military, or just paint in lava ontop of them with df_hack's df_liquid.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12280 on: June 10, 2011, 06:42:39 am »

I searched the wiki and the forums, but i cant seem to find any workaround for the goblins-who-wont-abandon-their-leader-even-when-he-is-trapped bug. Is there any known workaround for this? I am willing to cheat...

Creative application of magma will solve most problems related to goblins.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12281 on: June 10, 2011, 07:14:51 am »

i cant seem to find any workaround for the goblins-who-wont-abandon-their-leader-even-when-he-is-trapped bug.

What makes you think this is a bug?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12282 on: June 10, 2011, 07:17:42 am »

Is there an easy way to see a list of the things a dwarf owns?

Related to this: is there any quick way to find out where a dwarf's bedroom is?  I sometimes find owned clothing lying around the fortress, and I'd like to find the owner's bedroom so I can give him another cabinet if need be (or verify that he already has one, and that it's not "full" whatever full means, and that therefore he's just a lazy elf-lover).  The only way I know to find the owner's bedroom is to go through all my bedrooms manually until I find it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12283 on: June 10, 2011, 07:25:02 am »

i am italian. i have an italian friend who has no intention at all of reading in english.
What i need is basically the italian version of boatmurdered, or of any fun succession games...
do they exist? is there anyone out there? if i can manage to make him laugh at one in italian, he'd have no problem reading from the english...he's just a lazy bum i guess. Boatmurdered in italian would be nice.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12284 on: June 10, 2011, 08:18:09 am »

i cant seem to find any workaround for the goblins-who-wont-abandon-their-leader-even-when-he-is-trapped bug.

What makes you think this is a bug?

It seems kindof stupid to me, hanging around in my trapped corridor just being near their leaders cage... Not fleeing, not attacking, just sitting there. I do not think this is intended
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 1178