Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125929 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12240 on: June 08, 2011, 07:41:10 am »

ok... but for my personal knowledge, 'flux stone' is only a concept from DF, right? I don't find anything short of DF when typing flux stone...

So, within the concept of DF, a flux stone is a stone that has a variable amount of iron, correct?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12241 on: June 08, 2011, 07:49:17 am »

ok... but for my personal knowledge, 'flux stone' is only a concept from DF, right? I don't find anything short of DF when typing flux stone...

So, within the concept of DF, a flux stone is a stone that has a variable amount of iron, correct?
flux stone is the stone that's used to extract carbon from iron alloys. IRL it's chalk or limestone idk if someone really ever used valuable marble for it.
It was actually used in steel-making technology (not now, now we have bessemer process).
i guess this link has some info on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelting#Fluxes

EDIT: flux stone is calcium carbonate CaCO2 in its various forms. it does not contain any iron but is usefull when you have to reduce the amount of carbon in iron alloys
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:53:30 am by nanomage »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12242 on: June 08, 2011, 08:16:29 am »

Flux is a generic term for anything that leeches away impurities. For example, most solder comes with a flux core.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12243 on: June 08, 2011, 08:46:14 am »

ok, very interesting to know... learning every day :P

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12244 on: June 08, 2011, 09:48:23 am »

flux stone is the stone that's used to extract carbon from iron alloys. IRL it's chalk or limestone idk if someone really ever used valuable marble for it.
It was actually used in steel-making technology (not now, now we have bessemer process).

EDIT: flux stone is calcium carbonate CaCO2 in its various forms. it does not contain any iron but is usefull when you have to reduce the amount of carbon in iron alloys
It's CaCO3, to be precise.

You could use marble if you wanted, since marble is actually a form of CaCO3 - but to use it you'd have to crush it really, really, really fine - which is far more difficult than just mining some limestone or chalk.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12245 on: June 08, 2011, 09:49:57 am »

It's CaCO3, to be precise.

You could use marble if you wanted, since marble is actually a form of CaCO3 - but to use it you'd have to crush it really, really, really fine - which is far more difficult than just mining some limestone or chalk.
Ah you're right i guess i should go refresh my chemistry it's really CaCo3 stupid me

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12246 on: June 08, 2011, 10:24:41 am »

It's Ca2CO3 you dwarven alchemists... :P

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12247 on: June 08, 2011, 10:34:11 am »

Tempoarily remove them from their squad. Someone will come by, and collect the armor
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #12248 on: June 08, 2011, 10:46:07 am »

Is there a way to combine stacks together in fortress mode?
I don't think so.

I do think so, here's the reaction, untested though:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:COMBINE_BOLTS]
[NAME:combine <amount> bolts]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:CUSTOM_B]
[REAGENT:A:<amount>:AMMO:BOLT:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:<amount>:AMMO:BOLT:USE_REAGENT_MAT:A:NONE]

Replace each occuring of <amount> with the number of bolts you want to restack. You need to regen world for this, sorry.
If you don't want to regen, you must swap an already existing reaction for this, to do this, got to .../DF-folder/data/save/<your-savegame-folder/raw/objects/reaction_smelter.txt and delete a reaction you don't need from the file, but remember [REACTION:<reaction_name>]. Copy-Pasta the reaction posted above in the file, but change [REACTION:COMBINE_BOLTS] to the line you remembered from the previous reaction. This will let you allow to use the reaction after a save and reload of the game.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:53:47 am by EvilTwin »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12249 on: June 08, 2011, 10:58:00 am »

Both lime and aluminum were used in the melt shop I worked at back in the late 1990's.  It was a recycling facility, not a ore processing utility - the scrap was loaded with impurities because, well, it was scrap.  I wasn't on the melt crew, I was on the maintenance crew, but we used lots of lime, and a couple bars of aluminum in every melt.  There were also other materials used to get the chemistry of the steel right before it was poured into billets.

Here's a good article about the EAF process:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc_furnace

Our dwarves, are both making steel from iron, and recycling steel, so lord only knows what processes they are using :)  I think it's safe to say though that they are not using electric arc furnaces, though they might be using a similar acting process, chemically.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12250 on: June 08, 2011, 11:34:27 am »

Someone tell me how I can process a badger corpse I killed with my military so I get leather from it? I suppose someone should take the corpse to the butchery, and then from than a tanner process the hide? Why no dwarf is willing to do that then?

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12251 on: June 08, 2011, 11:38:13 am »

Do I have to feed non grazing animals, like cats and dogs?

No
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12252 on: June 08, 2011, 11:40:07 am »

Someone tell me how I can process a badger corpse I killed with my military so I get leather from it? I suppose someone should take the corpse to the butchery, and then from than a tanner process the hide? Why no dwarf is willing to do that then?

It needs to be in a refuse stockpile to be butchered- you may need to turn on Collect Outside Refuse under the orders menu.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12253 on: June 08, 2011, 12:49:00 pm »

The Dwarven Children keep spamming announcements that owned items are inaccessible. Is there any way to figure out what exactly they're trying to find?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12254 on: June 08, 2011, 01:10:45 pm »

There's a time limit on butchering corpses.  I had a fort once where pretty much the only thing to hunt was elephants.  I got a hunter out there and he managed to kill them, but 9/10 times by the time he got it back to the fort, it was too late, the poor fellow wasn't strong enough to drag the entire elephant back to the fort before it started to rot.

With your badger, if it was killed and much time has passed, it might be too late.  In fact, if it was a military or friendly animal kill, it might not qualify as a butcherable corpse at all.  Uncertain.  I don't use militaries anymore since they got annoying, and my dogs are just early warning so I know to pull the levers...
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 1178