Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1125992 times)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12195 on: June 06, 2011, 05:42:40 am »

I have like 10 levers and all of them are in the same room. Is there a way to label the levers?
Use 'N' -> 'p' -> 'n' to put notes.

OpiumHerz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12196 on: June 06, 2011, 06:26:01 am »

Allright. I have a lower level which I have flooded with water. I installed a pump next to a channel so the level above will be flooded too. After I found out that the pump usually is worked manually I build gear assemblys and put them next to the pump, but it still doesn't work (I connected them to a lever, but it just said that the gears are disengaged or inactive, depending on if the lever was on or off). All I want is that the pump pumps all the time without a dwarf standing there. How can I do that?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12197 on: June 06, 2011, 07:35:05 am »

was playing genesis mod to try it, started digging down for magma.
[...]
Found sea of magma, something like -40z below.
question is...it's normal?
usually i find one quite more high, and cavern layers aren't separated by an underground "sea".
How far below the surface were you?
Magma is usually about 120 z-levels down from the surface, I believe. Maybe more if you have mountains.

surface was at 140.
i reached -40z, which means 180 levels down, passing through an underground ocean, a cave, two diorite layers, another cave. another ocean, and then finally magma. it wasn't "mountain" area, it was quite near plains level.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12198 on: June 06, 2011, 07:39:52 am »

Allright. I have a lower level which I have flooded with water. I installed a pump next to a channel so the level above will be flooded too. After I found out that the pump usually is worked manually I build gear assemblys and put them next to the pump, but it still doesn't work (I connected them to a lever, but it just said that the gears are disengaged or inactive, depending on if the lever was on or off). All I want is that the pump pumps all the time without a dwarf standing there. How can I do that?

You need power to make that pump work. Either by dwarf-powered or bu some other means. That gear next to pump just transmits power from outside source.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12199 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:05 am »

I have some sheep cloth, some extra threads, even a crutch. While this don't get added to my hospital?

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12200 on: June 06, 2011, 11:30:27 am »

you dont have room or they are full on the hospital manger so increase the numbers there
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12201 on: June 06, 2011, 11:41:18 am »

I have some sheep cloth, some extra threads, even a crutch. While this don't get added to my hospital?

Make more chests/coffers/boxes and build them in your hospital zone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12202 on: June 06, 2011, 11:48:25 am »

but the Hospital reports tell me I have say 0/75000 threads... so I have room!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12203 on: June 06, 2011, 11:54:49 am »

If threads are 0/75000 but other resources are present then those others are taking up the space. 

You can pretty much ignore the #/# stuff.  While it shows whats present the caps dont work properly and dwarves can and will fill everything with one item type.

If in doubt always try building more bags/coffers.  Its generally best to build one or two at a time with breaks between to ensure fortress supply is balanced.  If you have no soap or crutches or splints when you add a container itll get stuffed with only thread/cloth immediately.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12204 on: June 06, 2011, 11:59:10 am »

You really don't need to add extra chests. The hospital zone acts like an invisible stockpile. When you set the amount of material for it, cloth, thread, soap, it reserves these items, forbidden except for hospital use. The chests act like bins in a custom stockpile. So as you place a chest/coffer, the dwarves store as many of the goods reserved into it, as the coffer can hold. The chest are for convienence. The docs can still go to your cloth, soap, etc stockpiles, and get the reserved goods not in the hospital.
 I finally realize now the old soap bug was not a bug. Was that I would reserve so much soap for hospital use, dwarves wanting to clean self could not, since all was reserved for the hospital.
 Be careful about the amount of materials you reserve. Could forbid cloth you need for making ropes, bags
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12205 on: June 06, 2011, 01:05:29 pm »

but the Hospital reports tell me I have say 0/75000 threads... so I have room!

That isn't what that means.  That tells you that your hospital wants to have 75000 threads, but actually has 0, probably because there isn't room to store them.  Build more chests in your hospital.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12206 on: June 06, 2011, 01:48:54 pm »

I see once again that Toady surpassed himself, user-interface wise!  :-X

Oh well, I suppose I'll have to live with that, and my dwarves die without it!  :o

On to another problem I'm encountering. I have soldiers adjacent to an harpy. They have order to kill her. They have weapons... Yet the 2O last attacks were all made by this single harpy, not by my soldiers. What is that? She is ultra uber super fast or what? Last time I encounted harpies, they were sliced easily even by recruits.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12207 on: June 06, 2011, 01:52:45 pm »

I have like 10 levers and all of them are in the same room. Is there a way to label the levers?

Color code them, or organize them by relative position.

In a really complex fort, I'll use a sheet of paper to make a chart of lever functions so I can reference it.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12208 on: June 06, 2011, 01:53:19 pm »

Try using a move order instead of a kill order.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12209 on: June 06, 2011, 02:32:20 pm »

save & reloading made the trick.

I notice that my wounded dwarves rest in armour. How can I free up this valuable good for others vic... soldiers?
Pages: 1 ... 812 813 [814] 815 816 ... 1178