Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126082 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12165 on: June 05, 2011, 11:09:02 am »

1. I have a ton of xxx skeletons or xxx partial skeletons, yet I can't do bone greaves with them. How to use these skeletons? How to make bone greaves?

If the skeletons are from intelligent creatures (goblins, elves, dwarves, kobolds, etc) or tame animals that belonged to your fortress, they are useless.  You can't butcher intelligent creatures, and this includes breaking up their skeletons for bones.  The same goes for tame animals which died from any cause other than being deliberately slaughtered at a butcher's shop.

Damn, so all these skeletons can't be used...

from the wiki, bones greaves are considered plate armor, so they are better than copper right?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: June 05, 2011, 11:12:52 am »

No, copper greaves will be much better than bone greaves. Material is very important, even more than the quality of the armor.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: June 05, 2011, 11:32:50 am »

I can't seem to make the corckscrews or pipe sections out of stone. Is it only necessary to make the block out of stone?

You might need glass or metal corkscrew and pipe sections, iron's a safe metal. I'm not sure if it's still appliable in current version, but wooden corkscrew and pipes will burn up even if you never submerge it. If you're NEVER going to submerge the pump into the magma, most stone blocks will do. It would be useful to check http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Magma_safe if you'd like to make doubly sure.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: June 05, 2011, 11:43:08 am »

Ah crap. This is going to take the pump stack to a whole new level of stress. 40 pumps, meaning around 120-200 iron bars depending how much metal it takes to make and all the hassle of setting it up. I might just have the smiths live down there instead.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12169 on: June 05, 2011, 11:45:44 am »

No, copper greaves will be much better than bone greaves. Material is very important, even more than the quality of the armor.

yes, I saw that under masterfully crafted there is no bonus, is it right?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: June 05, 2011, 01:20:08 pm »

Ah crap. This is going to take the pump stack to a whole new level of stress. 40 pumps, meaning around 120-200 iron bars depending how much metal it takes to make and all the hassle of setting it up. I might just have the smiths live down there instead.

You have no sand on your map?  Or you're unwilling to make a bunch of glass components in a temporary deep-Z magma glass furnace in order to move the magma up higher for the permanent less-deep-Z furnaces?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: June 05, 2011, 01:35:19 pm »

1. I have a ton of xxx skeletons or xxx partial skeletons, yet I can't do bone greaves with them. How to use these skeletons? How to make bone greaves?

If the skeletons are from intelligent creatures (goblins, elves, dwarves, kobolds, etc) or tame animals that belonged to your fortress, they are useless.  You can't butcher intelligent creatures, and this includes breaking up their skeletons for bones.  The same goes for tame animals which died from any cause other than being deliberately slaughtered at a butcher's shop.

Damn, so all these skeletons can't be used...

from the wiki, bones greaves are considered plate armor, so they are better than copper right?

I'm not sure if bone type matters to a dwarf having a mood, so keeping intelligent humanoid bones in a stockpile right next to a craftdwarf workshop might be handy.  Never tried it.  Not sure if you can set a stockpile this precisely.  You surely don't want partial skeletons or parts stored there, for miasma risk.  Just bones.

As for pet bones, those can be handled with coffins.  Build a few coffins and allow the dwarves to use them for pets, and pet remains, dwarf remains, and friendly visitor remains should go to the cofins, 1 coffin per entity.

No skeleton can ever be used for anything, far as I know - it needs to rot into a pile of bones first.

Storing miasma-creating remains (stuff which might still have meat or soft remains on it) outdoors in piles prevents miasma, outdoor remains don't make purple stink, they just rot.

Putting workshops that might create refuse outdoors is a problem, unless you have outdoor gathering enabled.
If you have outdoor gathering enabled, that can cause problems with your dwarves going nuts when caravans are butchered by sieges or ambushes.

Best practice is probably to have a strict entrance/exit control to your fort including an outdoor area for grazing, farming, refuse, whatever, and disable outdoor collection of refuse whenever you open the gates.

An airlock style meeting area for immigrants or even an airlock style false-depot for traders might be a good plan for even better outdoor dwarf control.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:37:37 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12172 on: June 05, 2011, 01:54:54 pm »

was playing genesis mod to try it, started digging down for magma.
and i dug.
and dug.
and dug.
and dug.
and breached the ceiling of an ENORMOUS 20z+ ceiling cavern. which ended in water.
found a stone pillar, went down.
and dug.
and dug.
and dug.
reached -5z level and decided to use dfreveal.
went down.
and down.
and down.
found sea of magma, something like -40z below.
question is...it's normal?
usually i find one quite more high, and cavern layers aren't separated by an underground "sea".
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

jovian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: June 05, 2011, 02:31:46 pm »

my lazy newb pack works for only a few uses then all I get upon reopening is an error box.

A bit off topic I know but has anybody got a clue?
It's easy when you're big in Japan. Eastern sea so blue ...

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: June 05, 2011, 02:32:53 pm »

You have no sand on your map?  Or you're unwilling to make a bunch of glass components in a temporary deep-Z magma glass furnace in order to move the magma up higher for the permanent less-deep-Z furnaces?
Ohhh, I forgot glass.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12175 on: June 05, 2011, 03:42:27 pm »

was playing genesis mod to try it, started digging down for magma.
[...]
Found sea of magma, something like -40z below.
question is...it's normal?
usually i find one quite more high, and cavern layers aren't separated by an underground "sea".
How far below the surface were you?
Magma is usually about 120 z-levels down from the surface, I believe. Maybe more if you have mountains.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #12176 on: June 05, 2011, 06:14:54 pm »

Can a bridge lower onto a built road without any negative reprecussions?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: June 05, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »

You can't build buildings on top of each other.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12178 on: June 05, 2011, 06:43:25 pm »

Is there a way to fix this bug where despite the things besieging you being gone the fort is still labeled as under siege?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: June 05, 2011, 06:49:14 pm »

I'm not sure if bone type matters to a dwarf having a mood, so keeping intelligent humanoid bones in a stockpile right next to a craftdwarf workshop might be handy.  Never tried it.

You can make bolts out of goblin bones.  The trick is getting the bones.  You cannot butcher a goblin skeleton or partial skeleton.  However, if you take a live goblin and chop off its arms and legs, you'll get a mutilated corpse (which turns into a partial skeleton, which is useless) plus arms and legs.  The arms and legs will eventually decompose into bones.  Voila!  Bolt material.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1178