Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126064 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

akursah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12121 on: June 03, 2011, 04:50:13 pm »

Ok I built the cages in a room next to the barracks and linked them to a lever and open the cages. Then all of the animals started to run around and when the soldiers tried to enter the room they escaped from the door. What did I do wrong?

Also I got my first siege since I started to play DF (I am new). I captured some goblins with cage traps. After all goblins died dwarfs hauled the cages to animal stockpile. I wanted to strip them from their weapons and such but I can't do that when they are in a cage in a stockpile. So I build the cages to the same room from before. But still I can't take their weapons when they are in cages. Al last I hooked up the cages to a lever and let them out. Now they are running in the room and if I open the doors they will attack everyone. How can I take prisoners possesions?
What you want to do is get your miliria in there first, lock the door(s), then pull the lever.

After you build the cages, mass-claim and mass-dump the cage tiles ([d]->[ b ]->[F] and [d]->[ b ]->[d]) and your dwarves will haul their stuff to a dump site. You can dothe same thing with cages in stockpiles, but you have to remember to undump the cage itself.

Thank you very much. I will do this now.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two sort of related questions
« Reply #12122 on: June 03, 2011, 10:19:10 pm »

Hi All,

If I have Flux stone in the form of blocks, is there a way of converting it back to stone for Steel making? That's all I was able to buy from the caravans.

And is it possible to leave my starting area? I'd like to start exploring further to find some native Flux stone.

Thanks.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12123 on: June 03, 2011, 10:26:07 pm »

Sorry, there's currently no way to turn blocks back into their components, nor change your embark in a way other than abandoning.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12124 on: June 03, 2011, 10:38:15 pm »

Sorry, there's currently no way to turn blocks back into their components, nor change your embark in a way other than abandoning.

Okay, thanks. I was hoping to send a few miners to one of the next "squares" and start mining there to see what they could find.

If the screen where you select the embark location didn't say there was Flux stone, might there be some somewhere anyway? Or is it hopeless?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12125 on: June 03, 2011, 10:44:17 pm »

Currently I believe that the embark screen does not list flux properly. But if you search for flux with the site finder, then those sites will have flux even if the embark screen doesn't show it.

Also, it's possible you have flux, but haven't dug deep enough. I usually find marble around the third cavern layer.

PenguinHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12126 on: June 03, 2011, 10:57:33 pm »

Also, it's possible you have flux, but haven't dug deep enough. I usually find marble around the third cavern layer.

Okay, I've dug well below that level in search of "other" metals but not found any Flux stone. But then I wasn't looking much around the third cavern level.
And while on that topic, the only "other" metal ores I've found are a few holding the magma in. Not really worth the trouble of draining or cooling to get them. I was under the impression that I may find lots on the same layers as magma?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12127 on: June 04, 2011, 12:12:37 am »

Where are Nest Boxes and Hives in the stockpile menus? I can't find them under Furniture or (more likely) Finished Goods.

I believe they are classed as tools in finished goods piles.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12128 on: June 04, 2011, 12:19:44 am »

ok... thanks.

New problem.

Dorf with mining job. Not in a burrow. Non forbid copper pick in stockpile. No citizen alert. No job. No locked door, anything (path is clear). Numerous squares to mine. Why he don't take the job?

Double check the path to the mine by creating a 1-tile stone stockpile and seeing if a dwarf brings a rock to put in it.

Especially if you use ramps rather than stairs.  Ramps are evil.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12129 on: June 04, 2011, 12:21:43 am »

My pressure plate isn't being triggered by my goblin spearman :(

When you built is, did you build it for non-citizens, dwarves, water, or magma to trigger it?
If set for non-citizens, are goblins within the weight range you set?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12130 on: June 04, 2011, 12:42:29 am »

Okay, thanks. I was hoping to send a few miners to one of the next "squares" and start mining there to see what they could find.

If the screen where you select the embark location didn't say there was Flux stone, might there be some somewhere anyway? Or is it hopeless?

You should be able to request flux stone from caravans, offer to pay 200% for it, and it will still be cheap.

Also, I have heard you can sometimes change the material type of floors by dropping floors from higher up onto them.  I know this was used for creating sand when there was only other types of dirt available.  Not sure if it works on rock, and if it does, you will want to be sure you are performing the action on a rock layer where flux can form naturally.

Hopefully someone else with experience with floor-material changing can verify or deny my info above about floor type changing.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12131 on: June 04, 2011, 08:34:22 am »

I have a question about the "Friendly" goblins occupying my fort after a reclaim.  Are they immune to traps?  If they become hostile, will they know where the traps are?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12132 on: June 04, 2011, 09:18:51 am »

Yes they will but i think they stay freindlyb no matter what
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12133 on: June 04, 2011, 09:22:22 am »

I have a question about the "Friendly" goblins occupying my fort after a reclaim.  Are they immune to traps?  If they become hostile, will they know where the traps are?

The friendly goblins are hostile, it just "says" they are friendly maybe because they won't kill you just by being at your embark point.

In my experience, traps work against them (if they are newly built) but if you mean by "traps that were left over by the last fortress that fell against them" then yes, they will work if you unforbid the whole trap and its components.

They will not know where the traps are.

And on a small note, how long does an injured dwarf take usually to heal from Traction?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12134 on: June 04, 2011, 02:09:07 pm »

That would depend on the severity of the injury, probably bench quality, doctor skill.  Dwarf's own healing stat?

I believe theres some bug around with dwarves getting stuck in traction if thats what you think is happening.  Check the bug tracker
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 1178