Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126154 times)

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12105 on: June 02, 2011, 08:22:41 pm »

Since I set up my nest boxes in their own room, I've been seeing several swarms of flies buzzing about nearby. Should I be worried about them spoiling the eggs there before they hatch or are collected?
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12106 on: June 02, 2011, 08:29:11 pm »

no either they will hatch or dwarves will eat them i dont think eggs go rotting in df
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12107 on: June 02, 2011, 08:40:40 pm »

Eggs can become rotten, if left long enough outside a stockpile.  But I don't think the flies will make this happen any faster.  I've only seen it with eggs that were removed from nest boxes, then dumped or dropped somewhere not in a food stockpile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

akursah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12108 on: June 03, 2011, 03:12:56 am »

I have caught a lot of badgers, racoons, toads and birds, but I dont know what to do with them or how. I tried to train them but I can't. I tried to eat them but I don't know how to give the order. I can only transfer them to other cages. Is there a use for these captured animals other than trading?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12109 on: June 03, 2011, 04:16:05 am »

I have caught a lot of badgers, racoons, toads and birds, but I dont know what to do with them or how. I tried to train them but I can't. I tried to eat them but I don't know how to give the order. I can only transfer them to other cages. Is there a use for these captured animals other than trading?

You could use them as training dummies for your military or you could butcher them, but to do all that you must first let them out of the cage by first Building the cage and then hooking them up to a lever.

You can tame them but it requires a dungeon master and since the master is bugged (according to the wiki) you need to edit the "raw" files in the game folder, but why go through all that when you can enjoy a nice roast of badger meat?  :)

akursah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12110 on: June 03, 2011, 04:21:34 am »

You could use them as training dummies for your military or you could butcher them, but to do all that you must first let them out of the cage by first Building the cage and then hooking them up to a lever.

You can tame them but it requires a dungeon master and since the master is bugged (according to the wiki) you need to edit the "raw" files in the game folder, but why go through all that when you can enjoy a nice roast of badger meat?  :)

I will try to use them for training. Thanks fro the info

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12111 on: June 03, 2011, 05:03:50 am »

Does this work on "prisoner" as well ?

basically what hapen was that, one of my hauler was trying to replace a cage trap before he got ambushed.

long story short, he SOMEHOW got into one of the cage trap after being chase around and nearly killer and I dont know how to let him out.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12112 on: June 03, 2011, 06:07:23 am »

Does this work on "prisoner" as well ?

basically what hapen was that, one of my hauler was trying to replace a cage trap before he got ambushed.

long story short, he SOMEHOW got into one of the cage trap after being chase around and nearly killer and I dont know how to let him out.

To get things out of cages, either link them to a lever then pull it (deconstructing the cage & mechanism) OR if you have a hell lot of cages filled with captured prisoners/animals and don't have the time or patience to connect them all to a lever, you can try to PIT them into a hole or tunnel and then do whatever you want with them. If you have prisoners (hostiles) that you need out and have a lot of them, try making a 3x3 room,  channel out a hole in the middle, designate it as an animal stockpile, designate it as a pit and you have a nice dumping area for those creatures who didn't notice the nice cage and who just wanted to kill have fun with your dwarves.

And now I have a question, does flowing water kill off growing underground trees?
Also, does blood spatter on the walls of a river/reservoir contaminate the water flowing by it?

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #12113 on: June 03, 2011, 06:08:30 am »

For your own dwarves in cages, you can simply build the cage and unassign him from it using (q). A "release large creature" job will be created and someone should eventually come by.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

akursah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12114 on: June 03, 2011, 08:47:01 am »

Ok I built the cages in a room next to the barracks and linked them to a lever and open the cages. Then all of the animals started to run around and when the soldiers tried to enter the room they escaped from the door. What did I do wrong?

Also I got my first siege since I started to play DF (I am new). I captured some goblins with cage traps. After all goblins died dwarfs hauled the cages to animal stockpile. I wanted to strip them from their weapons and such but I can't do that when they are in a cage in a stockpile. So I build the cages to the same room from before. But still I can't take their weapons when they are in cages. Al last I hooked up the cages to a lever and let them out. Now they are running in the room and if I open the doors they will attack everyone. How can I take prisoners possesions?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12115 on: June 03, 2011, 09:00:22 am »

And now I have a question, does flowing water kill off growing underground trees?

Adult trees will block the flow of water in the tile they are in.  They don't seem to be killed by being surrounded by or underneath water.

Saplings will grow underwater.  They won't mature to adult trees in water 7/7 deep, but will wait and can suddenly grow to adult size any time the water level drops below 7/7.

Also, does blood spatter on the walls of a river/reservoir contaminate the water flowing by it?

It doesn't seem to, from the testing I've done.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12116 on: June 03, 2011, 10:01:34 am »

To tame large or small animals(vermin) you need a Kennel, along with someone with animal training. Just give the order at the  to tame large animal, will show you a list of animals you can tame in your animal stockpile. Choose which one. The dwarf will go straight to the chosen animal. Tame vermin, birds, rats, etc. with tame small animal order.
 To train war animals, issue order, and the dwarf will go to any tame animal  with the trainable tag, outside a cage. Will not train one in a cage, so you at least have some choice in the animal you want for hunting/war purposes trained.
 Tamed animals can be butchered at your convienence.
 Several animals now besides dogs can become war animals,Grizzlies,Large cats. You can also set in the raws certain animals you want tamed, by tinkering with them
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12117 on: June 03, 2011, 10:57:58 am »

Ok I built the cages in a room next to the barracks and linked them to a lever and open the cages. Then all of the animals started to run around and when the soldiers tried to enter the room they escaped from the door. What did I do wrong?

Also I got my first siege since I started to play DF (I am new). I captured some goblins with cage traps. After all goblins died dwarfs hauled the cages to animal stockpile. I wanted to strip them from their weapons and such but I can't do that when they are in a cage in a stockpile. So I build the cages to the same room from before. But still I can't take their weapons when they are in cages. Al last I hooked up the cages to a lever and let them out. Now they are running in the room and if I open the doors they will attack everyone. How can I take prisoners possesions?
What you want to do is get your miliria in there first, lock the door(s), then pull the lever.

After you build the cages, mass-claim and mass-dump the cage tiles ([d]->[ b ]->[F] and [d]->[ b ]->[d]) and your dwarves will haul their stuff to a dump site. You can dothe same thing with cages in stockpiles, but you have to remember to undump the cage itself.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12118 on: June 03, 2011, 01:21:51 pm »

is there a way to Force a squad into a room ?

I basically got a pit ready, but the militia seems like they always have one or 2 people going elsewhere.

either, hungry, thirsty etc to the point that it is getting kinda irritating.

I even made a small dining room beside their barracks and there will always be one or two of these people who will go off to their room and sleep etc etc.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #12119 on: June 03, 2011, 02:20:51 pm »

is there a way to Force a squad into a room ?

I basically got a pit ready, but the militia seems like they always have one or 2 people going elsewhere.

either, hungry, thirsty etc to the point that it is getting kinda irritating.

I even made a small dining room beside their barracks and there will always be one or two of these people who will go off to their room and sleep etc etc.

In the schedules menu set, sleep in barracks "at need". This should reduce the sleeping in own rooms things, but the best thing you can do, especially if they have food and drink with them, is to just lock them inside the barracks.
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 1178