Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126200 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12060 on: May 31, 2011, 10:23:21 am »

They are under tools if you still cant find them wiki it
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12061 on: May 31, 2011, 10:43:53 am »

They are under tools if you still cant find them wiki it
Thanks! It appears that out of Nest Boxes, Hives, Jugs and Large Pots, only the Jugs entry on the wiki mentions the stockpile location. I think I'll go rectify that.

EDIT: From the Cavy page on the wiki:
While not usable as livestock, they may make decent pets. Unclaimed tame cavies will require a pasture.
Does this mean that pets don't need to graze on grass?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:58:03 am by TheWealthyAardvark »
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12062 on: May 31, 2011, 12:07:13 pm »

While not usable as livestock, they may make decent pets. Unclaimed tame cavies will require a pasture.
Does this mean that pets don't need to graze on grass?
No, pet cavies also need to graze.  They don't need to eat very much, however, so if they're following their owner around they'll probably be able to stay fed with the occasional bit of grass or cave moss they pass over.  Wild cavies (and wild animals in general) don't need to eat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #12063 on: May 31, 2011, 12:09:47 pm »

If a goblin steps on a pressure plate linked to a retractable bridge, how many steps does the goblin have to get to the bridge before it opens? I want a goblin to step on the plate and walk on the bridge before it opens, dropping it to the area below.

Goblin labyrinth!

Also also, can a lever and a pressure plate be linked to the bridge, the lever being the method to reset the bridges?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12064 on: May 31, 2011, 12:17:04 pm »

If a goblin steps on a pressure plate linked to a retractable bridge, how many steps does the goblin have to get to the bridge before it opens? I want a goblin to step on the plate and walk on the bridge before it opens, dropping it to the area below.

The bridge will open 100 ticks of the game engine after it gets a signal to open.  How far the goblin can move in 100 ticks will depend on how fast that goblin is - it can vary a lot from goblin to goblin.  I haven't done extensive timing of how fast goblins run.  Might be anywhere from 5 to 30 steps.

Also also, can a lever and a pressure plate be linked to the bridge, the lever being the method to reset the bridges?

Yes, but it's not required.  The pressure plate when triggered will stay pressed for 100 ticks.  It will then reset back to being unpressed, and when it does it will send a 'close' signal to the bridge.  100 ticks after getting the close signal, the bridge will close.  You can always connect a lever to the bridge anyway to act as a manual control signal, but the pressure plate will reset itself and the bridge without it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Mood
« Reply #12065 on: May 31, 2011, 12:39:22 pm »

Hello,
my metalcrafter has been possessed, he claimed Magma forge and bring gold bars and two leathers.
He say:
"leather... skin...", "cloth... thread..." and "metal... bars..."
I have a lot of leathers, also a lot of metal bars (including his favourite brass).
And I have sheep, llama and alpaca wool cloths, and also rope reed and pig tail fiber cloths. If it is important I have rope reed and pig tail fiber thread and sheep and alpaca wool yarn.
No one of these items is forbiden

Am I right that he wants silk cloth (which I cann't collect becouse I have not found cavern yet) or I can do for his life anything?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood
« Reply #12066 on: May 31, 2011, 12:52:26 pm »

Hello,
my metalcrafter has been possessed, he claimed Magma forge and bring gold bars and two leathers.
He say:
I have a lot of leathers, also a lot of metal bars (including his favourite brass).
And I have sheep, llama and alpaca wool cloths, and also rope reed and pig tail fiber cloths. If it is important I have rope reed and pig tail fiber thread and sheep and alpaca wool yarn.

Am I right that he wants silk cloth (which I cann't collect becouse I have not found cavern yet) or I can do for his life anything?

Yes, that is what is probably happening. There is the off chance that he just wants more of some other kind of cloth- you can check to see if he's gathered any/all of the other types. If he hasn't, then your options are to either breach the caverns and hope for silk, hope he makes it to the dwarven caravan, or begin taking measures to prevent a rampage in case he goes berserk.

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood
« Reply #12067 on: May 31, 2011, 01:06:37 pm »

Hello,
He say:

Yes, that is what is probably happening. There is the off chance that he just wants more of some other kind of cloth- you can check to see if he's gathered any/all of the other types. If he hasn't, then your options are to either breach the caverns and hope for silk, hope he makes it to the dwarven caravan, or begin taking measures to prevent a rampage in case he goes berserk.
Thanks for answer.
He didn't bring any cloth, so I will lock door from workshop and mine fast and deep... and hope

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12068 on: May 31, 2011, 04:20:42 pm »

I have a problem with a wall section that is always getting cancelled and I don't quite understand the reason. The Dorfs say items are blocking, but the only items there are some slate, which are in (Dump) designation ... And they are never dump by the way, so this is as if they can't be moved. I checked, there is nothing to deconstruct either.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12069 on: May 31, 2011, 04:29:59 pm »

I have a problem with a wall section that is always getting cancelled and I don't quite understand the reason. The Dorfs say items are blocking, but the only items there are some slate, which are in (Dump) designation ... And they are never dump by the way, so this is as if they can't be moved. I checked, there is nothing to deconstruct either.
It's the slate.  Once you designate something to be dumped, a Dump Item job is queued up somewhere, and an item associated with a job can't be moved by constructing dwarves.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12070 on: May 31, 2011, 04:48:54 pm »

thanks my dear Nil!

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12071 on: May 31, 2011, 05:12:28 pm »

I build on dump designated stone all the time.  It only suspends a building if the item is about to be actively dumped right then, with a dwarf on the way to do it, or if a dwarf is moving other dump designated items onto that spot to finish another building.

Sometimes it seems to get bugged though.  In that case forbid the items in the square and let the game progress a moment, then unforbid them.  It usually cancels the build designation as well, but simply redo that and it should work.

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12072 on: May 31, 2011, 09:01:18 pm »

I saw some people talking about how animals can now reveal enemy ambushes from up to three tiles away. Is this accurate and thus negates the need for the old-fashioned three tile wide corridor with guard animals chained on either side to stop the thieves?
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12073 on: June 01, 2011, 01:19:50 am »

If my fortress has a chief doctor and some medics, the hospital some beds, but no other thing (I don't have bandage), can I expect to stop bleeding from my wounded dwarves?

Can dwarves recover by themselves from bleeding or broken bone, as in DF 40 or they are already dead?

Also the wiki (about healtcare) is good, but I'm missing how to create bandages and sutures? Bandages are just a piece of thread?

How to transport dorfs that have unconscious to the hospital?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:33:09 am by vorpal+5 »

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12074 on: June 01, 2011, 02:25:43 am »

The wounded will be transported by dwarves with the recover wounded job.

For sutures, you need thread. For bandages, you need cloth. Either of them will be automatically supplied from your stocks if you build bags and coffers in the hospital. Add, some splints (or plaster), a few buckets, a few crutches, and Voila! Nicely stocked hospital.

Wounded will recover from minor wounds, and sometimes survive heavy bleeding, but some medical attention will speed things up, limit infections and heal major injuries (such as broken bones)

The hospital in the latest version is good stuff. They're worth the effort
Pages: 1 ... 803 804 [805] 806 807 ... 1178