Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126139 times)

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12045 on: May 31, 2011, 01:35:05 am »

hei guys, its me again.

I just got my very first mandate from a mayor.

Now after reading from the wiki on wth is a mandate, I am very curious as what is the point of fullfilling these mandate(S)

I do know that if I dont fullfill them the noble will get angry and all.

I ask this because the mayor (which I swear I dont even appoint him as a mayor) mandate on I think my craft or the materials on those cradts, and craft is my primary and only source of income when it comes to trading.

Should I just listen to him ? or should I put him in a nice "room" with a few levers ?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12046 on: May 31, 2011, 01:37:31 am »

mandates not followed lead to JUSTICE against the dwarf with the crafting skill required.
so if he asks metal toys, and noone does them, he will have the metalsmith hit upon by the dwarfen Sheriff, or sent to jail were he or she might suffer thirst and death if NOONE remembers to give food and water to prisoners (which, sadly, happens)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #12047 on: May 31, 2011, 01:42:57 am »

hei guys, its me again.

I just got my very first mandate from a mayor.

Now after reading from the wiki on wth is a mandate, I am very curious as what is the point of fullfilling these mandate(S)

I do know that if I dont fullfill them the noble will get angry and all.

I ask this because the mayor (which I swear I dont even appoint him as a mayor) mandate on I think my craft or the materials on those cradts, and craft is my primary and only source of income when it comes to trading.

Should I just listen to him ? or should I put him in a nice "room" with a few levers ?
mandates not followed lead to JUSTICE against the dwarf with the crafting skill required.
so if he asks metal toys, and noone does them, he will have the metalsmith hit upon by the dwarfen Sheriff, or sent to jail were he or she might suffer thirst and death if NOONE remembers to give food and water to prisoners (which, sadly, happens)

Simple solution is never appoint a sheriff. They are practically useless and only punish dwarves for inane noble demands.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12048 on: May 31, 2011, 02:12:51 am »

All right then I am killing her.

sucks though since she was one of the 7 that I start with + my best broker.

Another question, is there a way to "force" an individual dwarf into a room WITHOUt using a burrow ?

I prefer not to disturb the rest of the dwarf that are busy working.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:15:24 am by AcESCAR »

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12049 on: May 31, 2011, 02:25:01 am »

Another question, is there a way to "force" an individual dwarf into a room WITHOUt using a burrow ?

Make him a military captain, create squad, activate squad, move squad to location.
or
if you have manager, Make workshop or  lever, set workshop Profile to allow only that dwarf to use it, assign task to workshop.

or just use burrow, and assign that dwarf only in the burrow.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #12050 on: May 31, 2011, 02:30:45 am »

All right then I am killing her.

sucks though since she was one of the 7 that I start with + my best broker.

Whoa wait hang on you could just un-appoint her sheriff.
And go ahead and ignore the mandates/demands, they only cause unhappy thoughts for the noble that issued it and don't do much else unless you have that sheriff.

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12051 on: May 31, 2011, 02:49:32 am »

But I need to trade my stone craft, and with her making a mandate, I cant even select the "CRAFT" during trade.

anyway, I made a small room with a small traps with a black bear on it.

I will see if I can find another way to go around the mandate.

Are nobles just there to make things difficult for you ? or are there something good that will happen when you make a noble happy ?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12052 on: May 31, 2011, 03:00:11 am »

they bring difficulties. and losing is fun.
about the tradeing she's not mandating then, she's Banning export of stone crafts i suppose. in that case, look at the various letter in the trading screen, one of them should be ":*something something* see or unsee banned crafts"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12053 on: May 31, 2011, 03:19:20 am »

But I need to trade my stone craft, and with her making a mandate, I cant even select the "CRAFT" during trade.

anyway, I made a small room with a small traps with a black bear on it.

I will see if I can find another way to go around the mandate.

Are nobles just there to make things difficult for you ? or are there something good that will happen when you make a noble happy ?

Has your mayor mandated that no stone crafts of any sort be sold, or just certain specific types?

If just specific types, you can use storage areas for sorting.

Create a new finished goods storage area, and enable it for only the goods you are able to trade.

When I use crafting for my trade income, whether wood, metal, stone, cloth, leather I set up a finished good setup like this:

DDDDD -> Depot
DDDDD
DDDDD  JJJ -> Jeweler shop
DDDDD  JJJ  eeeeee -> gem storage
DDDDD  JJJ  eeeeee

XXXXXXXXXXXX -> artifact & masterwork crafts
XXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXX -> next grade down crafts
XXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXX -> two grades down crafts
XXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXX -> three grades down crafts
XXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXX -> four grades down crafts
XXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXX -> lowest grade crafts
XXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXX -> non - craft finished goods
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX

If a mandate happens, what I'll do is set the non-craft finished goods storage to allow whatever types of goods are not allowed to be traded, and set the craft goods storage to not allow the traded type.  This will cause the dwarves to move the goods around.

Then you can trade binned finished goods.

This also allows you to trade by mandate, and make sure you don't accidentally trade something that's not a craft.

It also allows you to encrust jewels on only your highest quality goods (The jeweler will pull from the closest bins)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12054 on: May 31, 2011, 03:59:42 am »

@Farmerbob

It was scepter !

just found out that you can check specifically on which item is banned.

I am very new to this game (just started a few weeks ago)

anyway, I did what you said about the different stockpile for different kind of goods.

as you said, the dwarfs sorted them out themselves.

Should I be using the jeweller shop ??

soo far the only workshop I have is ,
1.carpenter
2.mason
3.Craftdwarf
4.bowyer
5.Kitchen
6.Butcher

when should I be digging deep downb into the earth to look for Magma ? and when should I make a metalwork shop for weapons and armor?

My whole army are using wooden crossbow with what ever kinds of materials I manage to buy off the caraven.

strange though, even with 90+ dwarfs I still haven been attack other than a few snatchers and 1 ambush, both easily taken care of by the rows of cage traps I set up.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12055 on: May 31, 2011, 04:09:08 am »

it's a thing of your fort values, couple of high price artifacts and you're in for a surprise.
be careful breaching caverns, strange things lurk down there.
as well as breaching magma. The fire imps tend to swim down there.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12056 on: May 31, 2011, 04:11:07 am »

The jewelry shop is only needed if you want to increase the value of your finished goods.

I usually have one running by the time of the third immigrant wave, but it's not necessary.

It's nice to have one though, even if all you do is cut high value gems for your moody dwarves.

Sell off your cheapo rough gems or make windows from them and sell/use the windows.

Keep some high value rough and high value cut gems handy at all times, at least a half dozen of each if possible.  Buy them if you have to, if you don't have any high value gems from mining.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:12:51 am by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12057 on: May 31, 2011, 04:19:55 am »

As for when should you be digging deep for magma?

I do it immediately.

I dig a 3x3 down stair straight from the surface down to hot rock, then dig around and open up a couple magma forges & smelters.

I'll also dig a few open spaces around the central shaft for storage, crafts, dining, bedrooms, etc.

The first couple waves, every immigrant gets masonry & mechanics & furnace operating & architecture skills enabled, and lots of walls and structures & bridges, floors, etc get built.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12058 on: May 31, 2011, 08:55:39 am »

Mayor is an elected or appointed position.  Every year or so, a new mayor will be elected.  If you don't like the current mayor, you can replace her from the (n)obles screen.

Ban-on-export "mandates" are temporary.  Eventually she'll get tired of that mandate and repeal it, even if you don't replace her.  However, replacing her will generally be much faster than any other course of action (albeit not as much fun as a magma bath or whatever).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TheWealthyAardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12059 on: May 31, 2011, 09:55:19 am »

Where are Nest Boxes and Hives in the stockpile menus? I can't find them under Furniture or (more likely) Finished Goods.
Quick, somebody who can pretend they know with a reasonable degree of believability hop in and act like they do!
You fucking rang?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 1178