Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1126224 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #12030 on: May 30, 2011, 10:30:06 am »

I haven't been doing any fishing at all

but I did get the "There is nothing to catch in the northern swamps" announcement

I believe you'll find that one of your dwarves has the Fishing labor enabled.  If you haven't been doing any successful fishing, well, I can believe that... but I don't think you can get that message if nobody is attempting to fish.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12031 on: May 30, 2011, 03:53:56 pm »

General Question, didn't want to start a thread: anyone else having trouble with the download link for DF?

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12032 on: May 30, 2011, 04:07:30 pm »

Nope downloads fine for me

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12033 on: May 30, 2011, 04:25:31 pm »

That's weird. Here, I can't even view the main page at all right now.

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non-Retacting Bridge
« Reply #12034 on: May 30, 2011, 04:26:51 pm »

Hello,
at the entrance to my fortress are three bidges, each is linked with one lever. One day group of goblins come to visit me, so I want to give them a "welcome present", I mean when they step on one bridge retract it and let goblins fall few z-leves down.
I pull all three levers at same time but only two bidges were retacted (of course that one on which were goblins keep rised).

I hope you understood me.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #12035 on: May 30, 2011, 04:31:33 pm »

Hello,
at the entrance to my fortress are three bidges, each is linked with one lever. One day group of goblins come to visit me, so I want to give them a "welcome present", I mean when they step on one bridge retract it and let goblins fall few z-leves down.
I pull all three levers at same time but only two bidges were retacted (of course that one on which were goblins keep rised).

You probably already check for this but, were all 3 levers actually pulled? Was that bridge actually connected?

In the future why not just link all 3 bridges to one lever?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12036 on: May 30, 2011, 04:37:41 pm »

use the "t" cursor to hover over the lever and bridge to check that there's mechanisms in them.

Also, get into the habit of testing levers once they are installed. I normally queue up a lever pull for straight after the linking is done (obviously keeping safety in mind for things that could squash your guys). Then if the bridge does not retract you know to check the work.

Never pull a lever for the first time during a siege. There's too many things which could cancel the connection job, or distract you as a player.

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12037 on: May 30, 2011, 04:37:54 pm »

Hello,

You probably already check for this but, were all 3 levers actually pulled? Was that bridge actually connected?

In the future why not just link all 3 bridges to one lever?
Yes all 3 levers were pulled (I also tried that one re-pulled - with no effect).
That bidge were linked (or at last when I tried link that lever with bidges I can link it with only rest two bridges).

And why 3 levers? Just for fun, I like levers :) and If i will have any time luck I can keep enemies on middle bridge and let my marksdwarfs train ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:44:50 pm by Drecker »

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12038 on: May 30, 2011, 04:44:21 pm »

use the "t" cursor to hover over the lever and bridge to check that there's mechanisms in them.
Mechanism is in
Also, get into the habit of testing levers once they are installed. I normally queue up a lever pull for straight after the linking is done (obviously keeping safety in mind for things that could squash your guys). Then if the bridge does not retract you know to check the work.

Never pull a lever for the first time during a siege. There's too many things which could cancel the connection job, or distract you as a player.
I normaly do that but now I forgot it... Well I will forgot these things never more...

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Retacting Bridge
« Reply #12039 on: May 30, 2011, 04:52:41 pm »

...One day group of goblins come to visit me, so I want to give them a "welcome present", I mean when they step on one bridge retract it and let goblins fall few z-leves down.

Read the DF2010:Bridge wiki page, under the subheading of "Bugs":
Retractable bridges will not retract when a mounted unit (a unit riding another) is on the bridge. Attempting to do so will create odd results if multiple bridges are connected to the same lever[1].
  • This is true except that I was able to retract the bridge if only 1 or 2 mounted units were standing on it. Could it have to do with a weight limit?
  • Can't retract bridge with 7 goblins on. Seems like a weight limit...
  • The same applies to raiseable bridges.
Also, on the DF2010 Talk:Bridge page, under the "Bridges and Titans" subsection:
I can verify that drawbridges still won't raise when a Titan is on them. v31.01 --Akhiros 07:47, 11 April 2010 (UTC)

It sounds like there is a weight limit on bridges, such that when sufficiently heavy creatures are on the bridge to exceed this limit, then it becomes impossible to lift/retract the bridge with them on it. IMO: This is actually a simulation of real life physics. Another words, it behaves as one would expect.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:54:51 pm by Thundercraft »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12040 on: May 30, 2011, 04:54:57 pm »

Hello,

Too many goblins? If there are too many goblins or trolls the bridge won't retract/close. Also some enemies block it even if there is only one of them.

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12041 on: May 30, 2011, 04:58:20 pm »

...One day group of goblins come to visit me, so I want to give them a "welcome present", I mean when they step on one bridge retract it and let goblins fall few z-leves down.

Read the DF2010:Bridge wiki page, under the subheading of "Bugs":
Retractable bridges will not retract when a mounted unit (a unit riding another) is on the bridge. Attempting to do so will create odd results if multiple bridges are connected to the same lever[1].
  • This is true except that I was able to retract the bridge if only 1 or 2 mounted units were standing on it. Could it have to do with a weight limit?
  • Can't retract bridge with 7 goblins on. Seems like a weight limit...
  • The same applies to raiseable bridges.
Also, on the DF2010 Talk:Bridge page, under the "Bridges and Titans" subsection:
I can verify that drawbridges still won't raise when a Titan is on them. v31.01 --Akhiros 07:47, 11 April 2010 (UTC)

It sounds like there is a weight limit on bridges, such that when sufficiently heavy creatures are on the bridge to exceed this limit, then it becomes impossible to lift/retract the bridge with them on it. IMO: This is actually a simulation of real life physics. Another words, it behaves as one would expect.
Thanks for answer I read wiki but I have not noticed this "bug". So I'm going to try do with that bastards anything...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12042 on: May 30, 2011, 05:13:07 pm »

Too many goblins? If there are too many goblins or trolls the bridge won't retract/close. Also some enemies block it even if there is only one of them.
Actually, no.  The weight isn't cumulative.  A bridge will raise even if a thousand goblins are standing on it, but a single elephant will stop it from raising.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12043 on: May 30, 2011, 08:41:29 pm »

Actually, no.  The weight isn't cumulative.  A bridge will raise even if a thousand goblins are standing on it, but a single elephant will stop it from raising.

However, 7 goblins mysteriously stops it from rising - as pointed out above and in the bugs page.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #12044 on: May 30, 2011, 11:55:23 pm »

You didn't include a backup plan. Always have a backup plan in case things fail O.o

Anyone want to write a military guide so people will stop creating umpteen threads about how they can't grasp military? The guide should include danger rooms, regular year-round sparring, and arenas.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 1178