Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116062 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11925 on: May 27, 2011, 06:58:13 am »

1. if I drop then forbid (so that Urist don't store it back) masterwork crafts in the dining room, will it give happy thoughts?

No, but if you grab the Display Case mod (requires regen), then you can use them to raise room value.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11926 on: May 27, 2011, 06:58:56 am »

@AcESCAR: Don't forget Bags, seeds go in bags, then the bags go in barrels/pots. Make more bags.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:00:30 am by Reelyanoob »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11927 on: May 27, 2011, 08:32:32 am »

How do I check my mandates?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11928 on: May 27, 2011, 08:47:51 am »

How do I check my mandates?

Press 'n' to see the Nobles screen.  Select a noble and press enter to see that noble's specific mandates, demands, and room requirements.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchery
« Reply #11929 on: May 27, 2011, 09:46:34 am »

Hello,
I don't know what's wrong with my butcher's shop (or butchers). My huteres hunt animals and when they are succesful, they pick up the kill and bring it to butcher's shop. But the butcher's shops don't get "Butcher an animal" automaticly (I have set "Auto Butcher") - I have two shops and no one have that task, and when I add "Butcher an Animal" manually, it say me "Needs butcherable unrotten nearby item". (And I have three butchers, and one of them had "No job".)
My first kills were butchered normaly - I don't know exactly when it stop work.
Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

edit: After hunters bring kills to butcher's shop (and few moments) other dwarves take the kill to my corpse stockpile.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:54:25 am by Drecker »

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchery
« Reply #11930 on: May 27, 2011, 09:52:51 am »

Hello,
I don't know what's wrong with my butcher's shop (or butchers). My huteres hunt animals and when they are succesful, they pick up the kill and bring it to butcher's shop. But the butcher's shops don't get "Butcher an animal" automaticly (I have set "Auto Butcher") - I have two shops and no one have that task, and when I add "Butcher an Animal" manually, it say me "Needs butcherable unrotten nearby item". (And I have three butchers, and one of them had "No job".)

Butcher shops take corpses from refuse stockpiles. It's possible that your refuse stockpile is full now (it wasn't full before, so your first kills were butchered properly), so the hunter just dumps the corpse on the floor, and it rots before the butcher can get to it.

Designate a stockpile next to the butcher to only accept corpses, or build another butcher shop closer to your main refuse stockpile.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11931 on: May 27, 2011, 09:57:02 am »

Your kills may be in transfer. That's a common problem : The hunter brings the kill to the butchery, then a hauler takes it to the refuse stockpile, and the "butcher animal" job is cancelled because the butcher can't find the corpse in his shop nor at the pile (it is still in transfer). If it is the case, then the butcher job gets automatically generated again once the corpse is in the pile.
Second possibility : the animal is too small to be butchered (for example, ducks don't generate anything, and so they are not "butcherable items")
Third possibility : The kill is a sentient creature (snail-man, goblin...). Those can't be butchered

Also beware : Your own animals (strays, pets, wardogs...) won't be butchered unless you use the "slaughter" command. If killed any other way, their corpses will simply rot in your refuse stockpile (or graveyard for the pets)...

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11932 on: May 27, 2011, 09:58:39 am »

Hello,

Butcher shops take corpses from refuse stockpiles. It's possible that your refuse stockpile is full now (it wasn't full before, so your first kills were butchered properly), so the hunter just dumps the corpse on the floor, and it rots before the butcher can get to it.

Designate a stockpile next to the butcher to only accept corpses, or build another butcher shop closer to your main refuse stockpile.

Thanks for help but (see edit) my copse stock pile isn't full and it is about 25 steps far from butcher's shop (or is it too far?)

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11933 on: May 27, 2011, 10:04:20 am »

As I said, transfer lag, or inappropriate kills. What creatures are you having trouble with? If it's ducks, they won't be butchered. Ever...

Drecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11934 on: May 27, 2011, 10:05:49 am »

Second possibility : the animal is too small to be butchered (for example, ducks don't generate anything, and so they are not "butcherable items")

Ah, thanks that was (probably) that problem, my hunters hunt only rabbits (here were not much to hunt), and now I had one lucky hunter and he killed a groundhog, which were normaly butchered.

thanks for answers

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11935 on: May 27, 2011, 10:39:17 am »

Hey. I posted this question a while ago...

My question: Okay, I've had a bunch of people die of thirst. I've checked and double-checked the health screen, nobody's wounded or needs diagnosis. They're just thirsty... I have 161 drink stock and nobody's bloody drinking!
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #11936 on: May 27, 2011, 10:45:53 am »

My question: Okay, I've had a bunch of people die of thirst. I've checked and double-checked the health screen, nobody's wounded or needs diagnosis. They're just thirsty... I have 161 drink stock and nobody's bloody drinking!
Burrows limit access to booze and water? Saltwater pools dominate the surface?
Got wells and buckets? If no hospital designated, maybe no nursing is getting done.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

acehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11937 on: May 27, 2011, 11:10:57 am »

Burrows limit access to booze and water? Saltwater pools dominate the surface?
Got wells and buckets? If no hospital designated, maybe no nursing is getting done.
Are all the drinks in large stacks in just a few barrels? If you have a lot of dwarves then `it can take a while for them all to get a drink, since only one can drink from each barrel at a time.

ALSO, how many dwarves do you have and are the ones dying of thirst in a specific area or just all over the place?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11938 on: May 27, 2011, 11:39:32 am »

Hello,
I don't know what's wrong with my butcher's shop (or butchers). My huteres hunt animals and when they are succesful, they pick up the kill and bring it to butcher's shop. But the butcher's shops don't get "Butcher an animal" automaticly (I have set "Auto Butcher") - I have two shops and no one have that task, and when I add "Butcher an Animal" manually, it say me "Needs butcherable unrotten nearby item"....

Its also worth remembering that because you have two shops you will always see some of this spam.

When an animal is killed and a corpse created all butchers shops get the job generated.  This means that when the number of corpses available is less than the number of shops you have...some will cancel as they lose their job item
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11939 on: May 27, 2011, 01:31:53 pm »

my speardwarf constantly keeps saying he cancels eat, could not find path

he is just standing there with a questionmark over his head

at first he was like this in a cave, but i was able to get him out by stationing him in small steps but he wont eat even when standing like 10 blocks away from an available meal

hes starving now, but i have no idea how to save him

it seems some other dwarves have trouble too with getting stuff that is clearly inside the fort : / also i did not add anyone to burrows other then the medicine dwarves
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1178