Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1116054 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #11910 on: May 26, 2011, 09:54:47 pm »

I take it their corpses are still around? Coffins seem to be the only viable option in that case. Dwarves will bury dwarven caravan guards/merchants who have died, if there are empty coffins.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11911 on: May 26, 2011, 10:13:46 pm »

Sadly at least one of them got pitted, and I have no idea where the other is--the fortress has almost 25 years worth of goblin corpses scattered outside and the stocks screen is a nightmare.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11912 on: May 27, 2011, 01:18:08 am »

1. if I drop then forbid (so that Urist don't store it back) masterwork crafts in the dining room, will it give happy thoughts?

2. are burrows able to cancel any job, thus being super practical when you want to awake someone much needed?

3. can stockpiles be chained A>B>C>D with 'take from stockpiles', or it will stop at A>B ?

thanks much!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11913 on: May 27, 2011, 01:32:31 am »

2. are burrows able to cancel any job, thus being super practical when you want to awake someone much needed?

Nope, bad luck.

If a dwarf is eating and they finish something, they'll automatically take a barrel to the furniture stockpile. Heaven help you if they're in a burrow, as you'll get massive spam "Urist McIdiot could not move barrel - stockpile inaccessible."

They won't ever, ever, EVER stop trying to move that goddamn barrel.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11914 on: May 27, 2011, 01:47:01 am »

1. if I drop then forbid (so that Urist don't store it back) masterwork crafts in the dining room, will it give happy thoughts?
3. can stockpiles be chained A>B>C>D with 'take from stockpiles', or it will stop at A>B ?
No, yes.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11915 on: May 27, 2011, 03:30:57 am »

No, yes.

I'm pretty sure I've chaine stockpiles a>b>c atleast.    Hmmm.  Not sure if it was in DF2010 or not though...  come to think of it my last fort was more like a>b, a>c, a>d...

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11916 on: May 27, 2011, 03:45:28 am »

I'm pretty sure I've chaine stockpiles a>b>c atleast.    Hmmm.  Not sure if it was in DF2010 or not though...  come to think of it my last fort was more like a>b, a>c, a>d...
Heh yeah, that's what I was trying to say by "yes"; in hindsight I guess that wasn't clear.  I chain stockpiles all the time, so long as you have enough bins (or, alternatively, use no bins at all) it works great.

Basically, the only limit when it comes to stockpiles is that you can't have two stockpiles taking from the same one (presumably because then the game would have to decide who gets an item both stockpiles "want").  Everything else--one stockpile taking items from multiple other stockpiles, or having a stockpile that takes from one and is drawn from by another--is a.o.k.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11917 on: May 27, 2011, 04:24:36 am »

Do dwarves gain stone detailing experience from simply smoothing stone? I seem to remember they used to but they aren't now by the looks of things.

Also, do dungeon masters appear yet?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:32:28 am by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11918 on: May 27, 2011, 04:33:46 am »

Do dwarves gain stone detailing experience from simply smoothing stone? I seem to remember they used to but they aren't now by the looks of things.
Yes, 10 exp/tile

No
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11919 on: May 27, 2011, 04:41:27 am »

No

Dang, so the only way to tame exotics is to remove their tags in the raws?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11920 on: May 27, 2011, 04:48:24 am »

Dang, so the only way to tame exotics is to remove their tags in the raws?

Changing them to [PET], to be exact.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11921 on: May 27, 2011, 05:29:29 am »

Why do my legendary fighters sleep in the stupidest places, and then complain about it, when they have a barrack AND a very nice room?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11922 on: May 27, 2011, 06:05:30 am »

Why do my legendary fighters sleep in the stupidest places, and then complain about it, when they have a barrack AND a very nice room?

Either because dwarves are idiots (which is frequently the case) or because you might not have enabled the barracks for them... Go through and check the settings?

My question: Okay, I've had a bunch of people die of thirst. I've checked and double-checked the health screen, nobody's wounded or needs diagnosis. They're just thirsty... I have 161 drink stock and nobody's bloody drinking!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:27:09 am by Niccolo »
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

AcESCAR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11923 on: May 27, 2011, 06:34:46 am »

Hei guys, I just started playing this game not long ago and I was hoping you guys can help me with a few questions I have.

1. how do I see the announcement when my dwarfs started fighting ? (I think its called combat log or something ???) I took down a snatcher with my army but all I see is the goblin getting shot down and there was no announcement or anything (other than protect your children)

2. Should I be making bins, barrel or Pots for storage ?? watch Captain duck tutorial and he said to make pots, but my dwarfs doesnt seem to be using it much (lots of seed on the ground)

thats all I have for now. Greatly appreciated if anyone can help.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11924 on: May 27, 2011, 06:46:18 am »

1. how do I see the announcement when my dwarfs started fighting ? (I think its called combat log or something ???) I took down a snatcher with my army but all I see is the goblin getting shot down and there was no announcement or anything (other than protect your children)
Those are announcements, accessed using (a), meaning news about the latest events. You are looking for combat reports, accessed using (r).

2. Should I be making bins, barrel or Pots for storage ?? watch Captain duck tutorial and he said to make pots, but my dwarfs doesnt seem to be using it much (lots of seed on the ground)

Barrels and Pots have the same uses, storing food. It is suggested to make Pots since wood for Barrel is often scarce while stone for Pot is plentiful.
Bins are used for storing stuff that isn't food. Like gems, cloths, trade junk, weapons, ammo...

Barrels, Pots and Bins are used for storage in stockpiles. If there's no stockpile set to accept seeds and use barrels, the seeds will stay on the ground despite access to barrels.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.
Pages: 1 ... 793 794 [795] 796 797 ... 1178